CLOVERFIELD.........prepare to be amazed

D86

It's quite possibly one of the worst movies all time. I watch lots of movies and I like most of them, like 99 percent, except for a few. Watching Cloverfield, kind reminded me of The Blair Witch! I know they tried to give it an authentic view from that of a novice person in the movie filming, but no more than 5 minutes into the movie the viewer is left feeling dizzy and vertigo. My head is still pounding several hours after I left the movie theater as well as everyone else who went to go watch it.

That's right, you'll get super dizzy watching this movie. Halfway through the movie, I was ready to walk out if not earlier. I don't want to spoil then ending but its not much. It ends lame. Let me save you, and hour and a half of your life that you'll never get back and your money. This writeup here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverfield

is much more entertaining than the movie itself.

thank you. i thought i was the only person who almost threw up from dizziness. i like apocalypse scenarios, and i think they did a decent job immersing the viewer (a bit too much maybe), but i have to say the special fx were incredible.

I'll never have that 1.5 hours back in my life, such a sad day. :(

lol, thanks for the review, I wasn't intended to watch the movie either way since there was nothing to hook me in on that movie :P

You have to understand that this movie is an American make of a japanese manga. That in and of itself should tell you it wont be good, because frankly, japanese manga does not port into American movies very well.

What manga are you talking about? This was a J.J Abrams original INSPIRED by him seeing godzilla toys in tokyo.

"...after he and his son visited a toy store in Japan while promoting Mission: Impossible III. He explained, "We saw all these Godzilla toys, and I thought, we need our own [American] monster, and not King Kong, King Kong's adorable. I wanted something that was just insane and intense.""

-Wikipedia

But besides semantics. I absolutely love this film, I will admit that the Handy-cam shooting was a bit much at times, and i could see how it could make some people ill. At the same time the camera technique was the heart of the film, we are all so used to being blown away by these super high-res movies of stylized blood and gore. Taking it to a low-fi level was a perfect way of focusing on the heart of the movie.The people,.the emotion.The fear. This was not a film about a monster, and i wouldn't even call it a love story. This is a thesis into how people would react in an event of such caliber, caliber we could never imagine. To me this is a rendition, like a painting, a rendition of unimaginable emotion. Ive watched thousands and thousands of movies, the Hollywood, the indy, the ultra strange avant garde. But never have i FELT a movie like i felt Cloverfield.

So there, thats my rant, i feel very vehemently about defending this movie. However i will never watch it again, at least for a long while. Any further viewings would defeat the purpose in my eyes. Films like this will live in infamy not for there production value, or box office revenues. But as one of the few films that isn't just watched, its lived.

Even after the whole theater erupted in dissatisfaction, i have faith that i'm not alone in seeing serious value in this film... Am i?

you know, the first 45 min of this movie were actually really good.... you know, when the movie was about the people and not the monster. when they started to show you more of the monster... they really just killed it. for this concept, the monster should be the catalyst, the thing putting the characters in motion, not the focus. it almost feels like the studios made the writers wedge in more of the monster at the expense of the story. basically, every time they tried to show you the monster ruined the story because it stopped being about the people and started to be about the monster. i hate seeing movies that are "almost good" and could have been fixed relatively easily.

:( the link that cleric gave us doesn't work anymore, and i haven't seen the movie yet but my friend really wanted to, the previews looked great imo and her friends said it was good, but i hear a lot on the other which makes me think that this is maybe worth renting.

--the part where the statue of liberty's head crashes in the street was pretty cool but if thats all there is to the movie then <_<

I heard that this was about power rangers and I got excited but no one was sure so I decided to wait till one of my friends saw it.....sad to say...my dreams of a power ranger movie did not come through.

/Fades out to the green ranger theme

It wasn't THAT bad. Granted watching it for free makes me like movies more than if I had to pay for them.

The character I really didn't care either way about. It was a monster destroying a city movie which was done "ok". I would have prefered more carnage and mayhem.

But not horrible for free. Its not like the godzilla movies I loved as a kid were masterpieces of cinema either.

Archived