Enigine swaps

ReDXtC

K ive posted other things abt cars that i never ended up doing but this time i'm for sure lol. I'm debating if i should get a lexus sc 400 or 300. The engine in the car is already a beefy 4.0L v8 but just in case is there any other motors that i can throw inside of this car besides the origional Soarer engine?

If you're going to stick with the stock engine, the 400's V8 is great with a supercharger, but you'll likely go a lot faster with the SC300's V6. If you wanna go an engine swap, I'd recommend whatever you can get cheaper. The two candidates I can think of are the 1JZ-GTE (JDM motor from the Toyota Soarer), and the 2JZ-GTE (MKIV Supra engine). Try to go for an OBD-1 car (1995 or below) to maintain emissions legality, and is possible, stick with the USDM Supra engine. Quite a lot of horsepower on tap, but it'll cost ya a pretty penny, especially if you decided to swap in the 6-speed Getrag transmission as well (which you should.)

^ I agree on the Supra engine aspect. It is going to cost a lot but anyone with a level head knows that those engines are very strong. They're also known to hold 1000hp on stock internals. haven't had any proof that that but I mean they stand behind what they build. Whatever you do, let us know....I wish I had the money for a project car.

Yeah but that's a lot if you're putting most of it to the ground. Just it depends on Red's plans.

Oh and I should mention, that my comment about the "engine" holding 1000hp on stock internals. I meant the block itself, not the turbos.

Yeah, with 500bhp, he's probably be putting down 425rwhp or so.

Then again, a 500bhp car with a straight 6 will usually lose against a 500bhp car with a V8, assuming same car and everything.

The Supras don't really start to get much power until around 5000rpm.

So it all depends on what you want to use the car for.

no. pft. what's intelligent that comes out of me? i mean come on now i'm stupid. i don't even belong in here. i know NOTHING about cars. i just like to go by facts of movies like fast and the furious and initial D. pfft. /sarcasm

In all seriousness. If you seriously think a supra doesn't build up power til 5k rpm. then you seriously need to stop bashing on anything that's not V8. A 500hp Supra can be had with BOLT ONS. IE = FASTER SPOOLING. 5k rpm for twins to fully kick in. haha. that's great.

how about you stop claiming like v8's are the priority around here and give props where they are due. i've read your post. you seem like most typical v8 cocky owners who are just that. i stepped away from this forum because i helped alot more then being negative or saying worthless things. i stayed away because i do NOT want to cause trouble with any members of GSC or Dave and the rest of the admins around here. I am here to help the import side because most of my knowledge is set there. I'm not claiming to be the smartest man in the world. I'm not gonna stay here and argue on what's right or wrong. you're opinions are obviously far off compared to mine. But you seriously need to do some research alot more then what you hear. supras are being slammed into 10's with stock twins. i've rode and drove a BPU+ TT 6spd supra and i can guarantee you that 5k rpm is a point where people already have most of there power set. when you open the car up and let it breathe alot better then stock 5k is pretty hmm.. how can i say this.. slow? unless you are comparing a single turbo'd or upgraded twins. 5k rpm is alot. even MY supra would hit 19lbs of boost on a gt4082 at 3500 rpm. and a 2jz with a way better designed everything will spool stock twins like nothing.

stop comparing anythign to a v8 this. "v8 hp vs any other hp v8 always wins" to me this is exactly what you sound like. like v8's are god. and everyone in here should worship them.

500hp i6 vs 500hp v8. there's tons of variables within each. you can't go and compare everything and power to a v8 and claim the v8 will always be on top.

I don't bash usually EVER. but until you came around. i don't know who you are or why you are so negative towards the Import community. but seriously. Chill out and if you're not gonna say something Positive then just keep your comments to yourself. that's all. I am not the only member on these boards that think most of your garage and auto posts are obnoxious yet hillarious. because you claim to know so much. So to let you know man. Just chill out. Give props where they are due. v8's aren't god. Some of these guys just want advice.

and so you don't get the wrong idea. i don't hate v8's. i know the potentials of v8's. i've been around them for the last 7 years of my life. i know what they can do. but i also know what they can't do. but give people a break.

back on topic anyways..

the 1uz-fe is a good powerplant if you have lots of money. but you will be needing TONS of help and experienced people..

the 2jz-ge that the sc300 comes iwth is an Inline 6 already. the most common swap for these is the 2jz-gte. tons of aftermarket support for the 2jz.

another swap that is coming around is the 1jz-gte. parts are starting to come up and around the u.s. alot more these days now tha tmore 1jz's are being brought over and being swapped into cars. 2jz's handle boltons very well. as well as the 1jz. just as i said parts are a little hard to get. but as months pass by. the market is opening up more and more for these engines.

no. pft. what's intelligent that comes out of me? i mean come on now i'm stupid. i don't even belong in here. i know NOTHING about cars. i just like to go by facts of movies like fast and the furious and initial D. pfft. /sarcasm

In all seriousness. If you seriously think a supra doesn't build up power til 5k rpm. then you seriously need to stop bashing on anything that's not V8. A 500hp Supra can be had with BOLT ONS. IE = FASTER SPOOLING. 5k rpm for twins to fully kick in. haha. that's great.

how about you stop claiming like v8's are the priority around here and give props where they are due. i've read your post. you seem like most typical v8 cocky owners who are just that. i stepped away from this forum because i helped alot more then being negative or saying worthless things. i stayed away because i do NOT want to cause trouble with any members of GSC or Dave and the rest of the admins around here. I am here to help the import side because most of my knowledge is set there. I'm not claiming to be the smartest man in the world. I'm not gonna stay here and argue on what's right or wrong. you're opinions are obviously far off compared to mine. But you seriously need to do some research alot more then what you hear. supras are being slammed into 10's with stock twins. i've rode and drove a BPU+ TT 6spd supra and i can guarantee you that 5k rpm is a point where people already have most of there power set. when you open the car up and let it breathe alot better then stock 5k is pretty hmm.. how can i say this.. slow? unless you are comparing a single turbo'd or upgraded twins. 5k rpm is alot. even MY supra would hit 19lbs of boost on a gt4082 at 3500 rpm. and a 2jz with a way better designed everything will spool stock twins like nothing.

stop comparing anythign to a v8 this. "v8 hp vs any other hp v8 always wins" to me this is exactly what you sound like. like v8's are god. and everyone in here should worship them.

500hp i6 vs 500hp v8. there's tons of variables within each. you can't go and compare everything and power to a v8 and claim the v8 will always be on top.

I don't bash usually EVER. but until you came around. i don't know who you are or why you are so negative towards the Import community. but seriously. Chill out and if you're not gonna say something Positive then just keep your comments to yourself. that's all. I am not the only member on these boards that think most of your garage and auto posts are obnoxious yet hillarious. because you claim to know so much. So to let you know man. Just chill out. Give props where they are due. v8's aren't god. Some of these guys just want advice.

and so you don't get the wrong idea. i don't hate v8's. i know the potentials of v8's. i've been around them for the last 7 years of my life. i know what they can do. but i also know what they can't do. but give people a break.

No one's going to argue against the fact that a NA high displacement engine is going have a lot more low end than a smaller, FI engine with the same max HP. I'm not bashing the smaller engines in any way. I just said, it depends on what you want the car for. There's no "right" engine for every purpose. A small engine with twin turbos are going to be more comfortable than a large engine for day to day driving, since you won't have to deal with that power all the time. With max HP equal, a larger, NA engine will be faster due to its flatter torque curve. I don't see how you can argue against that at all. It's not bashing on smaller engines, it's just something to consider.

You're speaking from anecdotal experience with the powerband. I was looking at dyno charts of high-powered supras.

FI Supra

First google result:

It's this guy's Supra: http://www.boostaholic.com/supra/index.html

IPB Image

NA LS7:

This is for a stock C6 Z06

IPB Image

You do realize the reason you "left" was because you claimed over and over that cross-drilled and slotted rotors were better than solid rotors in terms of performance. It had little to nothing to do with a debate over which engines are better.

Also, why do you feel the need to resort to insults everytime you disagree about something? I have never insulted you, and I do not believe it is nessessary to do so.

the cross drilled rotor vs solid rotor is still bs dude. if they were such shit why would bike companies put them on their bikes? why do bikes use them??? if they are such shit then why would the top JGTC cars in the world use them? they, out of most racing cars, use their brakes more then any nascar.

hahaha. i just wont say anymore javionics. you are hard to get through and so i will end all of this now. you seriously remind me of most ls1tech guys. Good game sir. :You-Rock:

I really hope that this doesn't turn into a well if you're I-6 is twinturbo and you want to race my v-8 then I should get twinturbos because then we'd be the same....game...that would suck because it's pointless.

it's a typical v8 owner thing. most will say "well this and then that" and race. blah blah. pointless shit. but whatever. they are 2 different categories. even in the american v6 GNX. they had to eliminate it from pro street and make GNX int heir own league because they are so damn fast that even v8's couldn't keep up. it's not a japenese motor thing. it's also in the domestic world. as alot of supras these days are running 9's with full interior on street tires with no nitrous. i don't see many american muscle cars running 9's w/o slicks and that are still street legal. but i guess excuses are excuses. who ever has the most money wins. the end.

v8's may have a nice steady powerplant. but as i said. you have to give respect where it's due. 2jz doesn't get any respect around here i guess from v8 owners. most real enthusiast would give lots of respect for a japanese inline 6 that can withstand 1000hp on stock internals. and give alot of v8's a run for their money. that's why supras are known to be highway queens. even against V8's. most will still be denial. but whatever. i wont stay away from the garage and auto forums. but i will just ignore Javionics. no more butting heads and the forums are good to go.

the cross drilled rotor vs solid rotor is still bs dude. if they were such shit why would bike companies put them on their bikes? why do bikes use them??? if they are such shit then why would the top JGTC cars in the world use them? they, out of most racing cars, use their brakes more then any nascar.

hahaha. i just wont say anymore javionics. you are hard to get through and so i will end all of this now. you seriously remind me of most ls1tech guys. Good game sir. :You-Rock:

Bikes are not cars. Why don't you bring up airplanes, too?

I don't see any of the JGTC cars using cross-drilled rotors. You show me some. I haven't seen any professional racer or racing team use cross-drilled rotors.

Here's one of the JGTC cars you were talking about:

IPB Image

Hmm... don't seem cross-drilled to me.

Stop making things up.

it's a typical v8 owner thing. most will say "well this and then that" and race. blah blah. pointless shit. but whatever. they are 2 different categories. even in the american v6 GNX. they had to eliminate it from pro street and make GNX int heir own league because they are so damn fast that even v8's couldn't keep up. it's not a japenese motor thing. it's also in the domestic world. as alot of supras these days are running 9's with full interior on street tires with no nitrous. i don't see many american muscle cars running 9's w/o slicks and that are still street legal. but i guess excuses are excuses. who ever has the most money wins. the end.

v8's may have a nice steady powerplant. but as i said. you have to give respect where it's due. 2jz doesn't get any respect around here i guess from v8 owners. most real enthusiast would give lots of respect for a japanese inline 6 that can withstand 1000hp on stock internals. and give alot of v8's a run for their money. that's why supras are known to be highway queens. even against V8's. most will still be denial. but whatever. i wont stay away from the garage and auto forums. but i will just ignore Javionics. no more butting heads and the forums are good to go.

I never said I6's were slow. I said that HP is not everything, and torque curve also matters. You're still reading things that weren't there. I see at least as many V8's running 9's, just as I do I6's. I was never here to debate what is faster, a V8 or a straight 6, you're bringing that topic up yourself omar, regardless of the fact that no one was talking about it.

Give me real evidence omar. All you're doing is 1) insulting others, 2) bringing up irrelevant topics, 3) posting anecdotal evidence, and 4) saying things without any support to back them up.

I wish you could learn to treat a real debate as a debate, and just that. Post evidence and make convincing arguments. People reading can decide for themselves.

This shouldn't be the thread for your debate. He wants to know about engine swaps. If you want to talk about what brakes are better or whatever, make a thread and keep it there. It's not anyones fault. But still....

word pancrats. although i can not see his posts since he is ignored. i'm sure it's jibberish anyways.

back to engine swaps!..

check out clublexus.com (i think that's the site) and it has all kinds of sexy rides with nice swaps and good write ups on everything. check it out =)

word pancrats. although i can not see his posts since he is ignored. i'm sure it's jibberish anyways.

So mature. I question some people's age sometimes. Sorry about that brake thing, I was just responding to omar's response with something legitimate. I might add, though, that he never responded to my dyno graphs which he was so sure against (and wrote such a long post about), and that is related to engine swaps. Even if he does tell lies and can't have a good, mature debate, I'm not going ignore his posts, though.

Don't preach to me man...he can't see your posts...and I don't really care because its between you and him.....

so yur saying that i should put in a corvette motor? is that wut the dynos are supposed 2 mean. I haven't really had time 2 read n e thing yet

No, I'm not saying that. I'm not sure if an LS7 would fit anyways (although if you did manage to find one and put in it that would be quite an impressive car). I made a point earlier that the motor you put in is really dependent on what you want from the car. A smaller, FI engine will get most of its power a lot later while a larger engine will have a more even torque curve. Omar argued that Supras get their power just as fast so I posted some dyno graphs to show the difference. If you look at the LS7, you'll notice the torque line is pretty flat, while the Supras seem to get most of their power starting around 4500-5000rpm.

That said, max hp means two different things for each engine. A flat torque curve means you'll be putting a lot of power down from the beginning (it's impossible to have a flat hp curve since hp is a function of torque). Thus, like a said earlier, everything else being equal, including max hp, then the larger engine will win. Now if you're looking at a daily driver with ~800whp, you probably don't want a flat torque curve since your car would be a bit difficult to drive, having so much torque from even low rpms, and not to mention it would use a bit of gas. So with that much power and as a daily driver I would suggest twin turbos, or even a single turbo depending on how high you want the power to kick in (supra engines have been mentioned, although my personal preference would be an LS2 for that, since those are also pretty capable engines and will have a lot more torque).

Now if you're looking for a car with around 450rwhp or so, I'd say get a bigger engine and either keep it NA or possibly supercharge it (you'll keep more torque this way). IMO, this will make a much more fun car than a 450rwhp turboed engine, since you'd have the power from the start instead of having to wait a little. An LS7 would be perfect for this, but they're usually a bit expensive. They have 505hp, and I think ~505ft-lbs torque, and get rather decent gas mileage for such a big engine (the Z06's get about 16mpg in the city and 26mpg on the highway, which is great for a 11 second car I think). An LS2, though, would fit that need just fine. An LS1 would require a little more work than an LS2 but they're probably a good bit cheaper and really aren't all that hard to make rather powerful.

So all in all, it really depends on what you're wanting from you car. If you give us some more details, we can probably help you better.

• 1 month later...

for the amount of money you pay for the car, you might as well keep the stock motor, it isn't like a honda they don't just swap, so either expect alot of $ or alot of work if you plan on swapping them. i kno they do the supra swaps on the is300's, but the sc series require alot more wiring/full ecu swaps and the motor doesnt fit the tranny either i believe, not 100% sure though, id say do your research on a more technical forum if you were actually serious about swapping your shit, and learn exactly what you have to do and how much it will cost.

and dude, do u still go to the u of a? i havnt seen ya at any of the spia meetups.

Archived