Lightshow Technique Listing (Using Glowsticks)

I was honestly not too sure what forum to post this in.

List off lightshow techniques!!!

For example when you have one stick pointing at a person, and the other one wiggling behind it.

i heavily encourage you guys to film some techniques too!

once you get good at it (and it can be difficult) doing a vertical helitoss right in front of one eye, then once you catch it do it with the other hand while holding the caught one horizontaly, parallel to their face. repeat once or twice.

also much less difficult, moving the sticks towards each other horisontaly so that they pass each other. when they move out of the field of vision, move them both up to the top of the head and down in front of the face vertically

just incase I am confusing people ( honestly I confused myself typing this)

oo <---face, really I swear ====o horisontal reletively to face

U

|| vertical reletive to face.

||

||

V

once you get good at it (and it can be difficult) doing a vertical helitoss right in front of one eye, then once you catch it do it with the other hand while holding the caught one horizontaly, parallel to their face. repeat once or twice.

also much less difficult, moving the sticks towards each other horisontaly so that they pass each other. when they move out of the field of vision, move them both up to the top of the head and down in front of the face vertically

just incase I am confusing people ( honestly I confused myself typing this)

oo <---face, really I swear ====o horisontal reletively to face

U

|| vertical reletive to face.

||

||

V

Tossing takes out of the flow of a lightshow, and it forces someone to break their concentration to watch a stick going up into the air, IMO. The best lightshows have to do with being right in their face, always making them watch the sticks, not having to look around much. Also, when tossing you risk missing the stick and having it fall, which completely fucks up the flow of a lightshow.

Guest Queen of Spades

lightshow techniques:

see: griever giving lightshows

:P

As someone who was reduced to convulsing on the floor because of that guy, I must say:

Quoted for emphasis.

^^^ same here. it doesn't break the flow if you do it right. when some one is sitting and i am stand i try this little number:

shadow tracing a heli toss'ed stick -> dropping behind the back catch -> kneeling leg traces -> (still kneeling) trace their legs to their shoulders (or the entire puddle if possible) -> palm spins at their faces.

i'll try to make a vid of some things that i really can't explain well through a keyboard.

Tossing takes out of the flow of a lightshow, and it forces someone to break their concentration to watch a stick going up into the air, IMO. The best lightshows have to do with being right in their face, always making them watch the sticks, not having to look around much. Also, when tossing you risk missing the stick and having it fall, which completely fucks up the flow of a lightshow.

yea, I didnt say it was easy. but what I was refering to was actually just giving the stick a flick so that it doesnt go up or down, but spins right in front of their face. when done properly, it will completely glow out half of the kids vision while leaving the other normal. when you do it back and forth, it looks like the lights are srobing left and right. its is well worth loosing some of the flow

ok so i was giving a chick a ligtshow at my last party and i got a crazy idea to stick two photonhs on the end of the stick. yes not a new idea at all. but when i cracked the sticks i had the photns attached to the sticks and she didnt see them.

now about 2 mins into te lightshow i started using the photons just quickly so she had no idea wtf was going on.

at one point i strobe the pne photon kinda up over her head and then back down and as i was going slowly brought the other photon past that fast and made her eyes go opposite ways. bugged me out

Keeping it small and close to the person is a must. Right in their face is the best course, and I'd say about 2-3 feet is absolute maximum you should ever be from them. Smoothness and accuracy make it much more intense. And to quote from "Shooter", "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast." Speed when giving a lightshow can break smoothness and accuracy so a balance must be found.

One basic thing I learned early on was to have both sticks pointed vertically and to move them to the beat past the persons head on both sides and then back out and past your head. "Occasionally" at measured beats only one stick or the other comes back from its destination.

Stalling a stick in front of the viewers eyes and continuing movement with the other stick, while every now and then (very rarely) wiggling the stalled stick.

(Only with long tight sleeves and must be done quickly) Make the sticks go behind their head, throw them down, then pull different colored sticks out of your sleeves, crack them, and bring them out from behind their head as a different color.

Pointing a stick directly at their eyeball while making large arching loops with the other stick in front of their other eyeball, then after a bit start doing it with the stick thats not moving, but very gradually. This causes them to go insane (drooling / collapsing) if they're in the right condition.

Edit: I thought I'd clarify how this one's done a bit more. One stick is pointed, cap end, at their eyeball, right in front of it, no more than a half inch or so. The other stick is making circling motions going clockwise, behind it, basically right in front of you, where you're about a foot from the viewer. The circles should be fully within the viewers sight. Do this for at least 5 seconds or more. The idle stick in front of their eye becomes what their focus sees as "stable ground." Now start very very slightly, almost none at all, making the stick in front of their eye start circling in the same direction. Basically you're trying to trace their pupil, so when I say slightly I mean the stick is barely even moving, more like its vibrating, but in a circle. Now as time goes by make the stick start to make larger circles, eventually getting the circles to trace as big around as their eyeball. With the other stick going in circles in the background, and the stick in front of their eye supposidly still, slowly making it take the same path as the moving stick in the background causes the stability of vision and orientation to go away, and gives kind of a falling in circles through a tunnel feeling to the brain. Haha wow sorry for making that so long.

As you move a stick toward them you move your face toward them as well, and you can make your whole head pass by their face with the stick, then pull back both suddenly and do it to the other side of their head. Back and fourth really quickly, or just as a one time out of nowhere both work very well.

Extremely quick stalled stick replacement. You have a stick at a 180 degree angle (a tut), and the other one is doing something else, then you navigate the stick in motion to the exact same spot at the exact same angle of the stalled stick, stall it, and make the stalled stick take over its path. This is a common move anyway when not giving lightshows, but it looks really good directly in front of the face.

I'll post more later...

also, if the kid is rolling, it is fun to take the stump end and lightly touch it to their cheek bone right below their eye. ive had kids come up to me saying they felt the light and it blew their mind.

Here's a fun little thing:

-Watch the kid's eyes. If they are following your sticks well enough, then this works great.

-Hold one stick horizontally above their head so they can't really see the glow. Hold the other stick vertical on one side of their head and have it move in a liquid fashion.

-With the music, switch it quickly over to the other side.

-Now just go back and forth from side to side, making sure that you don't go too fast that they aren't concentrating, and just mess with then a bit.

-Then turn the stick horizontal, leaving the top in the same spot. Pretty much, you're turning it like a wrench (I know, bad analogy). Then flow it up and over their head.

-Now bring both sticks slowly around to the sides of their head and pulsate with the music.

-Then you can break away from their head and do whatever it is ya like.

This should be done pretty smoothly (not too fast) and always flowing. Hope that made sense.

If this is done right, I've seen eyes start twitching all over the place trying to follow both lights. :sm_bigeek: Think of this as like a doctor giving an eye exam...but more trippy. :)

Okay I like this thread!

First of all I want to say that LED's are actually one of my favorite ways to give lightshows...but I have some glowstick ideas too.

1. Like said above, point one glowstick directly at the person and take the other and hold it horizontally behind that one. If you move it (like the rubber pencil trick) behind the other fast enough you can mimick a dragonfly or hummingbird. I then move it in a darting fashion towards and away each eye so that each eye gets a good show. My gf said that it made her actually start to see a couple of them (she was rolling on largely visual pills).

2. If you hold the 2 sticks facing each other horizontally, and move in a fluid motion you can mimick the movements of a bird flapping it's wings. Then, I would move it slowly toward and away from her face.

3. This last one is kind of just a build on from the abstract tutting vids I saw. I just attempt to build things in as blocky and symplistic fashions as possible, so her mind kind of puts together what I was doing but it isn't blatently obvious.

Maybe later I'll make an LED lightshow vid bc I kind of like my LED's a bit more...

just to make it clear, light shows are given to sober people and has nothing to do with drugs. :D

haha true. but no matter what state of mind the audiance is in, they're fun! for the whole family!

also not sure if this thread needs to be pinned. it can be referenced from another thread that would be pinned.

Im' workin on a Pin for 1 or 2 days new topics that are popular!

i enjoy tossing during shows, a heli toss in front of thier face (if they layin flat on ground) and u catch slowly before it hits them. scares em a bit but make sure u catch it!!

one thing i like doing if it is pretty dark around is to stand above them lookin gat them and moove the glowsticks parallel to eachother in sync back and forth between our faces. when the sticks are close to his face he cant really see my face, so when the sticks get back to my face i change my facial expression and try to trip em out. kind of lik ea strobe light effect if you do it fast enough.

Archived