Motorcycles

Lady

Yay my first thread!!! (that I've ever started anyway) So, I'm not sure if this topic goes in here but I'm going to ask anyway. I'm planning on trying to buy a motorcycle and I admit that I have no clue what to look for in a bike. Can anyone help me??? Tips, hints, helpful advice, anything. Which brands, Kawasaki, Suzuki, ect are good? I'm actually looking at the Sports types, not dirt bikes but...crotch rockets I believe is what Luckycharms referred to them as <_<

But really any info on motorcycles would be helpful. ^_^

take a safety class. often your state will let you bypass the test and you learn a lot.

always wear a helmet

go for a good learners bike. something cheap that you don't mind dropping. becuase you will fall. a cheap sports bike will be between 1200 - 2000. mine was 1600. but goes from 0 - 60 in less than 4 seconds.

What's a learners bike constitute as???

<---really has no clue about said subject so lingo or moderately difficult terms need to be explained ^_^

Not that id didn't understand learners bike, but what is one???

something with an engine size of 500 or less would normally be called a learners bike. unless it's a dirt bike. reason is that smaller engine sizes are lighter and easier to maneuver and pick up if you fall.

true crotch rockets wouldn't be good to learn on, but sport cruisers are pretty good.

i recommend you take a class. they have bikes to practice on.

cool, thanks ^_^

Isn't that (or wasn't it) the fastest street bike on the road? or like...most well built. I forget what they said but they were talkin about doing 100 on the highway on the back wheel.

Yeah, a good bike to learn on will generally be lighter. And definitely take the saftely course. One study showed that 91% of motorcycle accidents that happened were by people who never took any courses.

I've heard the Ninjas are good learners bikes.

• 1 month later...

i have also been lookin into getting a bike, what most people are telling me is not to get lower than a n 800cc, because after a few weeks i will be bored with it, and will want the 1000cc or something. i think taking the class and using thier bike to learn on would be the best approach, and then get something like a gsxr 750 or an r6 or something

engine size for motorcycles don't dictate how much you like it. crotch rockets are uncomfortable as hell, so if you want something comfotable for long scenic commutes on the beach, or even just to go to work, or if you want a bike that has handling (bigger engines make heavier bikes which means less of that). or maybe you want something with more comfort for winding turns.

some smaller cc engines have great speed, while other larger cc engines on lets say a harley davidson is made more for cruising.

so it all depends on the person and his preferences.

trust me, if you are bored of an 800 cc bike and upgrade to a 1000cc bike, chances are you really just want the hayabusa and that's the end of that.

• 4 months later...

I've been looking at triumphs for quite a while. I learned on an older model CBR 600. If you want a crotch rocket then get a 600 to learn on. AIt will be plenty of fun for a while. the 1000cc bikes are just crazy!! I like the Triumph Daytona 675 triple. They can keep up with the 07 Kawi 750.

The only RELEVANT post here is Cynicdave's. I don't think ANYOPNE here even has ridden a motorcycle (I myself own a a Harley '05 V-Rod)

First things first: a comfortable ride is most often a good ride. If it feels comfortable just sitting on it, its most likely going to be a good bike for you.

2nd: CCs relate to ecperience. Don't pull a gecko getting a 1500cc bike your first time around. A good begginer bike can go around 250cc and stull be street legal (a dual-purpose bike for example). As with most things in life, work your way up to what you want.

3rd: a sport bike is not always the way to go: I HAVE ridden a 600zzr and a GSXR750, and honestly they don't feel like actual motorcycles to me. Sure they may be great for tuntriding, but what are the chances that you can do it in publc and get away with it? I've seen people get caught on eyewitness accounts for reckless driving (they do that in TX).

I do hope you find a good bike for yourself. And remember: you fall once, get back up twice.

Archived