Transmission issue

Hmm, few things I can suggest, I don't really have much info to help.

Try moving your wheel around. Yeah, may sound strange, but yeh.

How did you stop? Parking brake? Egh, very dangerous situation.

Yeah, that's about all I can do, hahaha.

Most cars have a button around the shifter that you can press if the battery dies try pressing it (may be under a little cover) and see if you can get it moved... May be a problem with the linkage, you could try getting under the car and moving the lever by hand.. Its an automatic so the way it works is the gears are shifted through hydraulic pressure so the shifter is connected to the linkage (just a wire) to the lever on the outside of the tranny then simply to a solanoid. One other possability I can think of is the actual hinge on the shifter itself broke... Those are the only reasons I can think of... Wait one other may be... There is a switch on your brake peddle that may have come unhooked or is broke.... You need to press the brake to get it out of park or from N to rev. well feel free to pm me for my cell an ill help you troubleshoot.

Never seen a shifter than has a lock from N to another gear.. they're mostly a brake lock from P to another gear.. But he said he's stuck in L, which is bottom of the barrel.. I don't know what kind of car/make/model he drives, so therefore I can't give an assumption of what happened.. but i'm very prone to cars.. Maybe his linkage has binded since he's in such a low gear? I dunno.. I'm awaiting a year/make of his car before I give an answer or assumption..

Okay, it was towed and the mechanic came and banged the transmission loose.

Basically I was in drive while parallel parking. I pulled forward and was going to shift into park, but it wouldnt shift up to N. I applied some pressure, didnt work. I inched forward a bit and tried again, didn't work. SO, I shifted to a lower gear and tried to upshift again, because that has worked in the past. Didnt work this time.

It got stuck in L while I'm parked on a HILL. I throw my ass out of the car and hold it so it doesnt roll while my mom holds the brake. I grab two textbooks from my trunk (those shits were finally useful for once) and threw them under the tire. It didnt roll, so that was good.

1990 Dodge Spirit. 89,XXX miles. Odometer is stuck at there, has not moved even a quarter turn in the last 3 months, despite regular driving.

• 2 months later...

sounds like a keeper

aka get rid of it and get a honda.

why didnt you turn the car off? taht sucks ass.

i know if u had the engine off and it wasnt in park, it wont go in unless u put the brake on. eh sounds like u got screwed!

trannys r xpensive to fix :( thats why u should always get a manual cheap to fix and dont have stupid problems liek that that can fuck up other parts of ur car!!! and they dont really break as much (just clutch)

Archived