I am Legend

Azzie

I am Legend - Richard Matheson

The story centers around Robert Neville, a human living in a world where he's the only human left. Everyone else, is a vampire.

Yeah, there is a logical explanation for everything though. It is a bacteria, it lives on blood therefore the people that are infected have the characteristics of a vampire, they need blood so they are ready to get it and stay outside of his reinforced house at night waiting to see if he comes out. They are really shells, just hosts for the parasite bacterium so they have no real functioning brains/thought processes.

After about six months of being alone, after watching his wife contract and carry the bacterium, kill his child and come back from the dead he studied the disease as much as he could trying to find out why they were allergic to garlic, only came out at night and were in comas during the day and why crosses wouldn't work to repell all of them. He can never figure out the garlic but did learn that the bacterium could not stand the sunlight, also that the cross only works for the ones that had previously been christian . . he could use the torah and other holy books on them . . .

One day while out taking a walk (during the day) he sees a woman whom he chased after . . .and ended up bringing back to the house. He was lonely and needed companionship and he couldn't have been more pleased with himself that he found someone else that was alive. She stayed at the house with him and they talked about how her husband and children passed and how she's been running during the day and hiding at night . .trying to find a new place to live . . . all the while he was suspicious of her . .wondering if she was infected with the bacterium much to her dismay he set out garlic in front of her and she ran to the bathroom to throw up . .claiming that after seeing her husband and children die that her stomach was weak and that she was hungry. He passed that off thinking that it could go either way, because he was so lonely and full of hope he started thinking that maybe he could find a cure for her if she was infected and resigned himself to convincing her that she should let him test her and if she was positive he'd die finding a cure for her. When he tested her, she was positive for the virus, knowing what he would find, she was waiting for him with a 2x4 and left, not before writing a letter . . .

The letter basically said that she was sent as a spy. A society was made for people in which the bacterium had mutated. They found out how to supress the bacterium with a pill which also controlled the urge for blood and where trying to rebuild a society. They wanted Robert dead. He was a thread, he was immune and had not been infected and they also wanted to study him. She apologized and asked him to pack and move away, as they would be coming for him soon and she left one of the pills for him so that if he survived he could study it.

After a few days, he a group of guys coming toward his house, killing the vampires along the way, they burst into his house and asked him to drop his weapons and come with them . .the refused to drop his weapons and they shot him . . .when he was awake he found himself to be in another place . . in a bed with Ruth beside hime (Ruth, the chick that he had found that got away) she asked him why he didn't leave . . he said he couldn't that he was too accustomed to this way of life and he no longer cared for it. . .

She gives him two pills telling him that this is all she could do and asks him to take it because they are going to execute him. As they take him out to whoops and cheers of the crowd his last thoughts is that he is the one that they would warn their children about, he would be the one to silence bad behavior . .that as the last one of his race that survived being infected that he was an anomoly, a minority and that in that he was a legend.

• 2 months later...

are you saying it like a bad thing?

i dont know, but i think the trailer looks pretty impressive, and knowing how will smith has been doing great movies lately..im looking forward to it..i think out of the the 3 vampire movies coming out, this one looks the best one so far.and hopefully it is..

I am skeptical about it because the book was a great find for me. A monumental book of sorts that brought me to a lot of realizations about myself and the way that I look at people. I feel that the book will be ruined by the movie.

As most books are. It may suprise me but the possibilty of it suprising me is very very slim.

Thanks for this post Azzie.. I saw the trailor and was wondering about this movie.. I was wondering if it was some movie about a guy all by himself, like 'Castaway'.. A movie with just one guy in it for 2+ hours gets kinda boring.. Now I know there are vampires in it?! Hells yeah, can't wait for this movie now.. :D

for a second i was gonna go WHAT THE HELL.... when i saw the topic, i thought you guys were making fun of me for a second.. lol

then i realized that it was just THIS lol and yeaah trailer looks pretty good, will smith is sexy haha and his last movie pursuit of happiness was really good, so im looking forward to this one =]

for a second i was gonna go WHAT THE HELL.... when i saw the topic, i thought you guys were making fun of me for a second.. lol

then i realized that it was just THIS lol and yeaah trailer looks pretty good, will smith is sexy haha and his last movie pursuit of happiness was really good, so im looking forward to this one =]

HA, you should make a cameo appearance and prove to Will Smith who the real Legend is.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just seen the movie 12-15-07 =).... FANTASTIC! I MUST SAY!

Based on Azzies summary on the book the film is a bit similar with some nicks and nannies that are different.

It gave a great feeling as to how it jsut may feel to be left alone in a world ALL BY YOUR SELF, it makes you notice what its like to "keep" your sanity.

The movie isnt 100% serious throughout, there's much comic reliefe*sp*

The only part that made me a bit like awww.... was the ending.. it wasnt fantastic or anything. all it really does is show.. this is how it ends.

OVERALL the movie is good, its a def. must see. 9.5 out of 10 for me =]

This movie is actually the 3rd or 4th remake depending on how you want to look at it.

the first movie followed the book very closely but sucked hard. Starred Vincent Price. (1950 or 60s)

The next one was omega man i believe which was more action then anything

then they just released this one with will smith and a straight to dvd version in blockbuster.

so yeah. Nothing is original anymore.

watched it a few days ago.

If this was a tv series it could be really good. There was alot of holes in the story. Like the original book follows 3 years of his life. The movie just jumps from point of infection to 3 years later. Ending was fine.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived