What languages do you speak

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 filipino dialects

Tagalog-- fluently understanding but i cant speak it to the fullest.... only when im drunk i can (lmao)

Ilocano --- i forgot how to speak/understand it lmao but i knew it at one point of my life ahha

and english uhh... sorta kinda in spanish and some little tid bits in french lol

english, and i'm learning french on - guess what - rosetta stone! lol highschool latin did not stick.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally! Some Filipinos! anyways, thought i would add to this discussion

(Noodles the visayan islands mostly speak ilongo)

so on to this:

some Filipino dialects i can understand: Tagalog, ilocano, ilongo

i don't know if i can really say so but a "little" mandarin (Chinese)

and fluent engrish...English.

I'd like to touch up on another thing, does anyone know anybody who can not know a language but still sorta "understand" it... I don't know if any of you have seen or read the book "I Am David" but theres an example right there.

I've found a lot of people who grow up with bilingual parents can understand their parents language, but if their parents didn't engage them in conversation in that language, they can't speak it. So if your parents shout at you in Tagalog all the time, and you shout back in english, you'll have very little practice in forming utterances in Tagalog, but you can tell what people are saying.

Unless you meant having no exposure to the language at all but somehow getting an idea of what's going on anyway? In which case, that could happen through body language probably.

:) I speak English and ASL (American Sign Language) IPB Image <3333 Xo0oX

I speak americanese, and i'm barely proficient with english. there's a lot of slang and indigenous british words i'm not familiar with. I can write some japanese, and hope to continue my education on japanese, and hopefully one day speak it as fluently as i can manage, being a southern born, midwest raised american kid and all. I also speak a mild amount of publicly usable Spanish, the rest is swear words and slang i hear tossed around at work.

yeah speaking alot of languages is probably one of the more important things in life :) i hate going to a place where you cant understand anything, like my stepdad is korean, and whenever i go to his side of the house....i like know nothing:( so im learing korean!

• 2 weeks later...

alright my turn.

english

bad english to spanglish (works in oilfeild)

spanish

german

Russian

little french

little japanese

oh yeah one that no one else has mentioned so far being from the south

REDNECK

now aint dat a b*tch right dere i done did tell ya

uhh... english..

and i watched a lot of spanish soap operas when i was young

(dont know why... -_-)

soo.. the spanish i took in high school stuck with me even though i hardly ever use it...

wanting to learn japanese and portuguese.. no friends to learn/study with though.. they aren't tought at my college too..

-_-

-justin

Fluent in..

~English! how about that?

Pretty good in..

~American Sign Language (I've taken it for three years)

I also studied Japanese for almost 4 years, 3 years in a classroom...I can still understand it pretty well, but my speaking skills have sorta disappeared. I do remember hiragana and katakana tho!

=) <3

• 1 month later...

I can only speak english and i understand some Tagalog/Filipino

mauch mai lauta (or something like that) << anyone know what language that falls into???

=)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in my fourth year of German, I can read and listen better than write and speak. Most of the time able to keep a conversation with a 10 year old going for a while...

English

Starting to learn Russian, but it's REALLY poor right now... Basically I learned to count, greetings and farewells, and obviously curses, what's a language without them right?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived