LA Coliseum Moratorium Rescinded!

zin

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/04/AR2010110400045.html

The Associated Press

Thursday, November 4, 2010; 1:08 AM

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Commission has overturned a moratorium on raves at the venue that was put in place in June after a 15-year-old girl overdosed on ecstasy and died.

The Los Angeles Times says the commission made the surprise move Wednesday.

Coliseum General Manager Pat Lynch said the commission was satisfied after receiving reports on increased medical staffing, age restrictions and time limits on raves held there in August and October that were scheduled before the moratorium.

Commission member and rave opponent Rick Caruso - who had to miss the meeting - said he was shocked at the move.

Fifteen-year-old Sasha Rodriguez overdosed on ecstasy and collapsed at a huge Coliseum rave known as the Electric Daisy Carnival. She later died at a hospital.

This seems to be a "no-brainer" type of move in my opinion.

Not even from the city needing money, but look that the ratio of people to incidents.

I am sure many others were popping pills left and right, but that does not mean every single person there was.

Three cheers for common sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm much more curious about the age restrictions being put in place. Call me judgmental, but the younger crowds tend to (paradoxically, or not) increase the grime level when it comes to sexuality and seriously downgrades the overall maturity level at events. People on the East Coast can relate by contrasting the crowds at Terminal 5 versus Love or Webster Hall.

Either way I'm glad it's going to be back where it was, but I'm hoping that the modifications they make are going to promote some real changes at the event and aren't just to placate angry soccer moms.

I'm much more curious about the age restrictions being put in place. Call me judgmental, but the younger crowds tend to (paradoxically, or not) increase the grime level when it comes to sexuality and seriously downgrades the overall maturity level at events. People on the East Coast can relate by contrasting the crowds at Terminal 5 versus Love or Webster Hall.

Either way I'm glad it's going to be back where it was, but I'm hoping that the modifications they make are going to promote some real changes at the event and aren't just to placate angry soccer moms.

Ever since EDC 2010, any Insomniac & Go Venture festival has been bumped up to 18+. Even their festivals that take place an hour away (at NOS Events Center) including Beyond Wonderland, Nocturnal Festival, etc. etc.. Considering the venues, I'm sure the city will only allow 18+ event at such places from this point forth.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived