My transmission is slipping

Genecrazy

so i have a honda accord 2000 V6..or i think its 2001..

well anyways, the transmission is already slipping..if i accelerate too fast on the first gear, the car shakes before it switches to the 2nd...so i have to accelerate pretty slow at first...

anyways im planning to head out somewhere, to visit a friend, and she lives about 66 miles away, and im wondering what are the chances of my transmission failing? or is it completely random?

cause if its pretty high, then ill get the transmission replaced asap.

First thing I would do is check the fluid level. Most of the time if you don't have enough fluid, tranny gets hot and slips and bumps. How many miles does it have on it? Probably not enough.

Kinda depends on how well the car has been taken care of. My moms car did that (1997 Acura CL) and she had to get the tranny rebuilt. It just happens sometimes from wear and tear. A rebuild at a reputable shop will probably be cheaper than replacing it completly. I dunno man, that's all I can tell you from what you said.

Good luck.

ummm maybe its your clutch....

...thats if its manual...

I really doubt it's manual but if it started recently i'd say you're not at any immediate risk assuming that it really is just the transmission slipping. However, I should also point out that once it does begin to slip it's a slippery (no pun intended) slope downhill to the transmission going out on you totally, rebuilds aren't cheap so catching it early before it interferes with anyting else would be your best bet.

• 1 month later...

I think it's automatic since he said "before it switches to 2nd" rather than "before i shift into 2nd"

But yeah check your fluid. Then if you're still having problems take it into a shop asap. Then they can tell you the exact problem. Although try to take someone who knows about cars with you so they give you a bunch of bs.

so i have a honda accord 2000 V6..or i think its 2001..

well anyways, the transmission is already slipping..if i accelerate too fast on the first gear, the car shakes before it switches to the 2nd...so i have to accelerate pretty slow at first...

anyways im planning to head out somewhere, to visit a friend, and she lives about 66 miles away, and im wondering what are the chances of my transmission failing? or is it completely random?

cause if its pretty high, then ill get the transmission replaced asap.

Is this a v6 accord?? You know there was a huge lawsuit on honda b/c of the accords and other vehicles of that generation with auto tranny problems. And you had just listed some of the symptoms of it. If I remeber it only applies to 99-00 accords with a milage less then 100k then honda will replace it for free. If not good luck.

Archived