Computer Problems?

AZNiNjARaVeR

If you have any computer problems, i might be able to help you to fix them, just state your problem, and ill tell you what you need to do. I can't fix everything! but ill see what i can do...

more computer tecs. helping out on this form would be nice addition

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm usually not the one asking questions, but I'll try anyways.

I have a Toshiba Qosmio G15-AV501, and a few months ago one of the hd's failed (the 60gig one). It started making weird sounds and not always accessing, until it just stopped.

I was wondering if it would be worth my time opening the laptop, findind a replacement hd, and installing it. I've never opened a laptop before, so I wasn't sure.

Well, I'm usually not the one asking questions, but I'll try anyways.

I have a Toshiba Qosmio G15-AV501, and a few months ago one of the hd's failed (the 60gig one). It started making weird sounds and not always accessing, until it just stopped.

I was wondering if it would be worth my time opening the laptop, findind a replacement hd, and installing it. I've never opened a laptop before, so I wasn't sure.

As long as you have all the restore cd's and formatting, and windows cd's its worth it.

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCateg...ption=harddrive

thats always the easiest place to get laptop hd's from..

laptops are not that hard to open, and your laptop definatley is a nice piece, and is worth fixing.

also, i want to know what you have been doing that may have led to hd faliure...

leaving it on too long, reformatting too much, etc.

be careful with screws though, there are many different screw sizes that are involved, so keep them seperated and hopefully labled, "somehow"

if you live in socal you can call up my workplace, igamez...

message me if you do!

My wireless router recently crapped out on me, meaning no internet or printing. The problem is I think that when I open my connection settings on the laptop it shows my laptop as connected, but there is no packet flow to/from my laptop. My regular computer works fine through the router because it is not wirelessly connected.

Also, on my router the WLAN light continually blinks, instead of staying solid like it should. I have a D-Link DI-524

My wireless router recently crapped out on me, meaning no internet or printing. The problem is I think that when I open my connection settings on the laptop it shows my laptop as connected, but there is no packet flow to/from my laptop. My regular computer works fine through the router because it is not wirelessly connected.

Also, on my router the WLAN light continually blinks, instead of staying solid like it should. I have a D-Link DI-524

im not sure exactly what the problem is yet, it might be your wireless card on your laptop.

Check if your laptop has a wireless has a network ip set...

also check if your laptop has an ip set to it...

if you need help doing any of these tell me.

As long as you have all the restore cd's and formatting, and windows cd's its worth it.

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCateg...ption=harddrive

thats always the easiest place to get laptop hd's from..

laptops are not that hard to open, and your laptop definatley is a nice piece, and is worth fixing.

also, i want to know what you have been doing that may have led to hd faliure...

leaving it on too long, reformatting too much, etc.

be careful with screws though, there are many different screw sizes that are involved, so keep them seperated and hopefully labled, "somehow"

if you live in socal you can call up my workplace, igamez...

message me if you do!

I'm guessing it's from leaving it on too long. I use my laptop as a desktop, and it's on 24/7. I now keep it raised on bottle caps, since otherwise it gets quite hot underneath it (sometimes it's so hot, it's slightly difficult to hold your hand on a place for a good bit of time). I want to get a fan to put underneath it as well.

It has two hd's, and the os was on the other one. I luckily had done a random backup of everything on that hd a couple days before it failed (quite lucky, since I had never backed up anything before, I just for some reason of another felt like backing up the entire hd, and then it failed two days later, I'm glad I backed it up, though, since there's years of stuff I wouldn't want to lose on it).

I'll probably end up getting a new one then. How long do you think it should take?

I live in Atlanta, too :-(

I can't do an ipconfig on my laptop because it isn't connected onto the internet. I'm trying to use the IP info from my PC on my laptop. Just restarting it now.

Did you set up the wireless router yourself? Is there a possiblility that the settings got changed or messed up somehow?

I'm guessing it's from leaving it on too long. I use my laptop as a desktop, and it's on 24/7. I now keep it raised on bottle caps, since otherwise it gets quite hot underneath it (sometimes it's so hot, it's slightly difficult to hold your hand on a place for a good bit of time). I want to get a fan to put underneath it as well.

It has two hd's, and the os was on the other one. I luckily had done a random backup of everything on that hd a couple days before it failed (quite lucky, since I had never backed up anything before, I just for some reason of another felt like backing up the entire hd, and then it failed two days later, I'm glad I backed it up, though, since there's years of stuff I wouldn't want to lose on it).

I'll probably end up getting a new one then. How long do you think it should take?

I live in Atlanta, too :-(

newegg's are everywhere...there isnt just one place, in california, i have seen 2, and been shipped from 3 different places

WOAH 2 hd's? in a laptop?

not 2 different partitions?

thats crazy

ya get a fan base, thats always a good idea.

I can't do an ipconfig on my laptop because it isn't connected onto the internet. I'm trying to use the IP info from my PC on my laptop. Just restarting it now.

are you talking about the cmd.exe ipconfig?

newegg's are everywhere...there isnt just one place, in california, i have seen 2, and been shipped from 3 different places

WOAH 2 hd's? in a laptop?

not 2 different partitions?

thats crazy

ya get a fan base, thats always a good idea.

Yeah, it has two hd's, although a lot of sites list it as one. There's a 40gig and a 60gig. I'm actually using the laptop right now. Under "Device Manager" it lists the 60gig, but not the 40gig (the one that failed).

How do I know which hd to get? I'm not really familiar with laptop components. I don't know what kind of hd the one that failed was, but the other one (that the OS is on) is listed as "FUJITSU MHT2060AH."

I was actually wondering how long you think it would take to take apart the laptop and replace the hd.

Yeah, it has two hd's, although a lot of sites list it as one. There's a 40gig and a 60gig. I'm actually using the laptop right now. Under "Device Manager" it lists the 60gig, but not the 40gig (the one that failed).

How do I know which hd to get? I'm not really familiar with laptop components. I don't know what kind of hd the one that failed was, but the other one (that the OS is on) is listed as "FUJITSU MHT2060AH."

I was actually wondering how long you think it would take to take apart the laptop and replace the hd.

I actually think your hd may be seperated into 2 seprate partitions, making it seem like 2 hd's.

im not sure if you actually have 2 hd's, because i have never heard of a laptop with 2 hd's

you definatley have to take it apart to find out...

it should take under an hour, but taking it apart is the hard part.

screws are everywhere, even hidden ones, like under a pannel, right above your keyboard (my laptop)

if you live in so-cal i can probally take a look at it

I actually think your hd may be seperated into 2 seprate partitions, making it seem like 2 hd's.

im not sure if you actually have 2 hd's, because i have never heard of a laptop with 2 hd's

you definatley have to take it apart to find out...

it should take under an hour, but taking it apart is the hard part.

screws are everywhere, even hidden ones, like under a pannel, right above your keyboard (my laptop)

if you live in so-cal i can probally take a look at it

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's two separate hd's. I know the next model up (the G-25) has two 60gig hd's. Different sites list it as "100GB HD" and "60GB HD + 40GB HD." I don't know how one partition could fail, either (it was something mechanically related, since I was hearing noises for a while).

But yeah, I think I'm going to try it. I'm in Atlanta, so I'm not really all that close to so-cal.

How do I know which HD to buy? I'm not really familiar with the insides of laptops (I've built a couple desktops but have pretty much never done anything relating to hardware with a laptop).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's two separate hd's. I know the next model up (the G-25) has two 60gig hd's. Different sites list it as "100GB HD" and "60GB HD + 40GB HD." I don't know how one partition could fail, either (it was something mechanically related, since I was hearing noises for a while).

But yeah, I think I'm going to try it. I'm in Atlanta, so I'm not really all that close to so-cal.

How do I know which HD to buy? I'm not really familiar with the insides of laptops (I've built a couple desktops but have pretty much never done anything relating to hardware with a laptop).

a laptop is very similiar to a desktop, instead of a 3.5" hd, you have to get a 2.5" hd. you dont have to set any jumpers if its your main hd

Did you set up the wireless router yourself? Is there a possiblility that the settings got changed or messed up somehow?

Yes I'm talking about the cmd.exe ipconfig. And yes, I set up the router myself, and it's been working fine for over a year until this random outage. I'm really considering it might be the network card or somethng because it recognises wirless networks, and connects, but there's no packet activity to/from the internet, so it's useless.

all computers should be reformatted AT LEAST annually.

Yes I'm talking about the cmd.exe ipconfig. And yes, I set up the router myself, and it's been working fine for over a year until this random outage. I'm really considering it might be the network card or somethng because it recognises wirless networks, and connects, but there's no packet activity to/from the internet, so it's useless.

ummm...ya i wasnt talking about the cmd.exe ipconfig...

i was just talking about configuring your wireless cards ip, or what its trying to route its ip through...

sometimes if that is set, then it wont work.

Aparantly all my computer needed was a good old fashioned reformat. Wootsauce.

whatever works!!

just make sure you dont reformat too much...

if you do, you can damage and eventually destroy it...

its like taking a piece of paper...scribbling all over it, and erasing it...and repeating, its gonna get worn away

so ya, if you want to reformat, i advise only reformatting once every 6 months, or even a year...

Next Problem! lol

Ok.

my HD..somehow lost 10gigs

i did the math ..i only have 2 or les gigs of music

and 2 or legs gigs of vids....the other stuff is prolly 2+ but not enough for

my hd to loose 10 gigs..

the original size is 18.97gigs..

and now its down to 6.00gigs..

does anyone know how i lost my gigs

and how can i get em back

whats the problem here?

i did scans..and deleted programs