Getting my first car

Cody

So, the deal is my parents are giving me a budget of $5000 to get whatever I want. I'm hoping for something that isnt ridiculously huge (I hate big cars), about 5-seats so I can cart my friends around whenever I want, decent gas mileage, and hopefully something that looks nice and wont break down in the middle of the road as well.

Oh, and I HATE TRUCKS, I refuse to drive one! lol

Well anyway I know barely anything about cars, and this is my first one ever so any help or advice on anything would be appreciated.

So, the deal is my parents are giving me a budget of $5000 to get whatever I want. I'm hoping for something that isnt ridiculously huge (I hate big cars), about 5-seats so I can cart my friends around whenever I want, decent gas mileage, and hopefully something that looks nice and wont break down in the middle of the road as well.

Oh, and I HATE TRUCKS, I refuse to drive one! lol

Well anyway I know barely anything about cars, and this is my first one ever so any help or advice on anything would be appreciated.

5000 huh?? well, not too much you can do with that...lol. do u have a job? would u rather stick or automatic?? can u drive a clutch? if u have a job, and can drive stick, then let me suggest a dodge srt-4. turbo-charged, 4-door, 5 speed. u can find a used one between 10 and 15 grand. go to a dealer, put the whole 5000 down, get a parent to co-sign, and you'll be good bro. good luck.

Usually when parents give a budget, they don't want to spend more than that, which means no dealer financing or no car loans, so it'd be best to just sift through papers or online.

However, we can't really help you without the information suggested above. All we know is that you want a car thats below $5,000, that's not a truck, and is compact yet can fit 5 people.

sticks are usually cheaper than standards for the same model, umm.....remember gas is always gonna be expensive and will only get more expensive every year, so get something real small, and use the savings for something else....if i had to say a particular brand, get either toyotas or hondas. both are great with gas and very reliable. their actually one of the most reliable cars to have. My personal favorite, toyota corolla, reliable, affordable, or it mirror would be a honda civic. both are great cars. check craigs list, the local papers, take your time. good cars do come for 5000. stay away from small car dealerships, they all get their cars from govt or public auctions. if possible, do you know any mechanics at any dealerships? they always run into great deals (w/customers) or know where to find that certain car your lookin for. they may even be able to purchase a car for you at a federal auction for thousands below blue book. thats what i did.

Guest e - t e r n i t y

4dr/2dr 5seater cars for roughly 5000

hmmmmmm here's my quicklist.....

might be waaay off but hope it helps a lil

1990-96 buick regal

1992-99 buick LeSabre

1991-96 Buick Park Avenue

1990-93 Cadillac DeVille

1990-94 Chevrolet Cavalier

1995-99 Dodge Neon

.....actually i'm runnin out of energy at the moment

check out

http://auto.consumerguide.com/

sorry, gona go pass out now

I'd say honda/toyota good on gas and runs forever

Neons come pretty cheap, but I've seen a few in wrecks, squish!!!! Not good

I have a jetta myself and I LOVE it!! Mine was over $5, but if leasing is an option..........

civic hatchbacks have nice room in the back and you can usually find one with a lower mileage engine in it for less then 5k. and parts are cheap and easy to find. the last thing i would do is try to stay away from v6 front wheel drive cars unless you're planning on taking it to mechanics or something to do a fix on it. but if you're going to be doing the usual maintenance on it then i'd suggest stay away from v6 fwd's. i hate them. hah.

i can't think of anything else that can seat 5 people easily under 5k. then again my brain is dead at the moment. dodge stratus. 4 door. alright on gas. roomy sorta.

tell them to fork out about 8,000 more and get a scion :) jk.

sticks are usually cheaper than standards for the same model, umm.....remember gas is always gonna be expensive and will only get more expensive every year, so get something real small, and use the savings for something else....if i had to say a particular brand, get either toyotas or hondas. both are great with gas and very reliable. their actually one of the most reliable cars to have. My personal favorite, toyota corolla, reliable, affordable, or it mirror would be a honda civic. both are great cars. check craigs list, the local papers, take your time. good cars do come for 5000. stay away from small car dealerships, they all get their cars from govt or public auctions. if possible, do you know any mechanics at any dealerships? they always run into great deals (w/customers) or know where to find that certain car your lookin for. they may even be able to purchase a car for you at a federal auction for thousands below blue book. thats what i did.

haha sorry dowg just thought that was funny.

anyways a deville gets HORRIBLE gas mileage. I'm saying if you're gonna go domestic neon/sebring is a good choice.

If you were to go import i'd go

96-98 civic of course, if you're more worried bout reliability and gas mileage then a civic is not bad at all. don't let other people persuade you just because it's a civic

98' eclipse if you didn't mind a smaller car you can probably fit 4 small friends but no big people.

I'm sure you could find like an Acura Legend for 5 also but I don't know how your parents feel about insurance.

maybe a mid 90's 3 series bmw but i'm not sure. I just remember my friend selling his 3 series/m3 replica for like 3,5 or something but that's because he fixes up cars for fun and sells them

oh yea and PLEASE be careful when buying 'modified' cars a lot of people are cheap and tr to do it themselves and always messing something up like. . if you were looking at a car and the service engine light is on and the seller is like "oh don't worry it's always on, nothing to worry bout i took it to a mechanic to check it out." yeah stay away from that car.

I would bust out the penny saver from the nearest gas station if I were u lol

but anyways, yea, Hondas, Toyotas are the way to go. Or u can go to an impound auction

• 6 months later...

i agree with RiCe_EaTeR! a perfectly reliable, good gas, small car that fits 5 people in it. 96-00 Civic.

I used to have a 97 Civic EX Coupe was pretty good on gas, very easy to maintain, plenty of parts available. In the $5,000 price range.

Like RiCe_EaTeR said... becarful buying a modified car!

i would suggest just buying a Stock one, even though sometimes people modify them and beat on them and race them and then put them back to stock, to look like it was all cherry.

best choice would be a honda civic, has a fuel efficant v-tec engine, not something you would want to fix up doh

umm.. not ALL Civics come with "v-tec" (VTEC, its an akronym). Stock VTEC engages at around 4,500rpm, so i dont see how that would be very fuel efficant.

Why wouldn't you want to fix it up?

Archived