The Freehand Flower (revisited)

I was talking about this move like a year or two ago, today i figured it out.

Start with the sticks loose in hands, in the hole of your thumb and first finger, palms facing you, fingers angled ///// <= left hand fingers, right hand fingers> \\\\\ at that angle.

Then you make a DNA double helix with them loose...

Then have the thumbs meet and cross over in the middle, and push the sticks upward with your palms at the top of the helix..

there you have it- a flower blooms in your hands!

>.>

<.<

You guys oughta know by now that Gin doesn't make tutorial vids...its a "concept" so you are supposed to take the idea he is giving you and apply it yourself :P

It would be cool if he did though. I mean couldn't any of us make up some sillyness?

Imagine you have a tape dispenser and the stick gets wrapped in double sided tape.. it sticks to you... go.

It would be cool if he did though. I mean couldn't any of us make up some sillyness?

Imagine you have a tape dispenser and the stick gets wrapped in double sided tape.. it sticks to you... go.

You are missing the point, and there have been NUMEROUS responses similar to yours whenever this is brought up. Yes, Gin can make a vid and show you every detail of the move and how to do it. Or, you can read what he said and try to learn it on your own applying your own UNIQUE spin or twist on it. Not to offend stringers, but their moves are very technical with little room for creativity. Yes they can make it more their own by combos and leaning heavily on wraps or maybe manips, but it isn't freehand. The key being FREE. Take the wisdom and glimpse he gave you and make it your own...I don't want to see 4 Gins running around or 7 Merlins either...I completely understand what he is getting at, but putting into practice is going to be a different story. That is the point of Gin's posts...to make you THINK!

Edit: I R Spell Good.

Look up Spazzman's practice vid with the Offspring music he does it a lot.

.\../

..X

./..\

|....|

.\../

..X

./ \

Edit: Yes I realize my illustrations suck...I'm at work or I'd use paint...

Ok, now I know what you guys are talking about lol I've watched that video a lot :) I've tried the flower, I think I even tried it in my one practice vid, but failed miserably haha I can't get it smoothed out. The hardest part for me is keeping them evenly spaced

wow i rember this thing like 2 years agao or something.... yeah some outside circles from around head height to about your knees extending to make a circle then a butterfly trace up

See...no vid necessary...take it how you want and use it when it suits you!

Like i kinda get it. But he has a lot of random posts of random things. Things a bunch of people don't ever say "i get this". Maybe he should just make 1 thread just for his random ideas.

But still my other point. Whats the line between genius and randomness? Is it all just perception? I see alot of it as randomness that seeks someone who thinks they understand.

Maybe this thread isn't the best place for this because this "flower" move at least has more direction then a majority of his musings.

God i can't even find all the things that have confused me over time. Here is one though.

""so we begin with a toss combo where a stick is floating in the middle at horizontal.

then on the next toss the stick remains in that location but at a few degrees rotation.

continue in this direction and we have the illusion of a Strobing rotational toss combo in the "float zone"

I'll work on it this month and hopefully be able to get it down flat and get a vid up.

i am thinking that it is going to be a Slight toss, as a hold and let go would not give it the float.. the velocity has to be positive upwards, then hit 0 as gravitiy pulls it back down. combined with blocking with body and hand motion i think it will work out"""

and

http://www.glowsticking.com/forums/Maniaca...rms-t16957.html

I post things that don't make much sense, because a lot of them are ideas that are not completely refined. It is very helpful to post things as if I know what I'm talking about, because I sort of do, and I sort of don't. I rarely practice any of the concepts that I post. (I have carried out some, sleight of hand, the triangle, and the heli toss plane rotation in high repetition to show a color changing animation). Sometimes I have good ideas and sometimes I have bad ideas. I am not afraid to post any of them- in fact I would post less ideas and less threads if other people contributed more. My intention is not to create a solid persona on this message board to show my superiority and genius in glowsticking, but rather help motivate other people to join the discussion. If that requires coming off as rather random and unguided to prevent presenting myself as cocky or jaded, so be it.

Regarding containing my posting into a single thread, I'd rather not.

Having that been said, I have also admitted I am a compulsive liar and borderline paranoid schizophrenic, or at least one of the above. While these conditions are a reality and a dream, they serve many purposes for which I am not completely aware, pertaining to my corporeal existence.

As for recording videos, I often think I would look completely retarded trying to record some of the ideas, such as maniacally flailing my arms. It is not that the vision is impossible, but rather while I have the time to think of such an idea, I do not have time to rehearse maniacally flailing my arms for several hours a day. Any freehander who reads my posts who thinks it is conceivable, I'd encourage strongly to make it into reality so that I can see it, crack up, and applaud their efforts, and being able to accomplish something I could only see in my dreams.

Additionally, I do not have a functional video camera, and it is quite strange that everyone is assuming that I do, simply because I have put up videos in the past. I do not even have a stable place to live, for those who do not understand my situation as a human being, with a life that I do not share many of the details of as it is as complex as yours.

Also Second Self, here is a more clear description of what I was talking about that you have quoted above.

Imagine a 1 foot cubic space in front of your chest.

Throw an altitude isolated helicopter toss horizontal in that cubic space while trying to keep it in the center of the space.

Catch it before it makes significant motion in ANY direction, up down, fwd, bckwd, l, r, start select.

As you are catching that you should prepare a second helicopter, which is not completely horizontal, but leans 10 degrees in any direction, but stays as close to the center of the cubic space as you can control.

Repeat this while alternating hands and you will rotate the stick 10 degrees at a time.

Doing this very quickly will produce a very interesting visual effect.

Previously, I had assumed that blocking would have to be done (between the vision of someone watching and the light sticks) but it turns out the way that you catch it can probably take care of this without additional effort.

Last but not least...

Let me go on to say...

I am very thankful that people like Ono, Calmoner, and Merlin have been making threads and tutorials in the Freehand forum as of late that have been well articulated, and provided guidance to the freehand community. It is very unfortunate that so little is posted by many of this site's amazing glowstickers in the freehand section. When an internet forum LOOKS dead, and nobody is posting, it is important to keep up the image of the forum- so that a person CONSIDERING posting, is not deterred from typing up a long and thoughtful concept by the complete lack of forum activity. If not for them, I would probably still not be bothering with grammar, spelling and syntax.

Archived