Inspiration Brainstorm

ok so basically the idea here is just for everyone and anyone to spit out the most out there ideas to create new move/style inspiration for themselves and others

all things are welcomed from visualization exercises for example picturing waves that the glowsticks ride on, etc, to watching martial arts, or sports for movement inspiration, for example i was watching this krav maga video the other day and they were doing this crazy Equilibrium style blocking/punching that i want to try and turn into something (can't find the video anymore).

the more outside the box the idea the better

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually my daughter got me inspired the other day while watching Sesame Street.

She was watching an episode about shapes and they always show the lines of the shapes as they draw them so i grabbed my sticks and started at it. Then i noticed something.... most shapes i see made while sticking are either squares or circles, what i never see are Triangles, Octagons, Hexagons, Diamonds etc...

So I've been trying to work on those shapes while sticking.

btw EXCELLENT idea for this topic Alucard! :dope

Reflections in geometry is something I've been picturing sometimes when fooling around.

So say you make a sort of "corner" with two glowsticks on your upper-right. To reflect it over the "y" axis you'd take the horizontal stick and turn it perpendicular to the vertical stick while moving your hands left in formation.

Well, I'm sort of new, but I've always thought of filming freehanding from directly above a freehander. I think that just this new camera angle could open up a whole new world for freehanding. Involving moving around more, with more behind the back moves. I'll see if I can film an example, it would have to be this weekend, and due to computer problems it would have to be unedited.

Does anyone have access to a motion capture studio? I always wanted to see if we could do some interesting stuff with a computer model of someone with glowsticks. Would be great to get an indie game developed around glowsticking.

Now to reel it back into reality, One of the concepts that I wanted to experiment with is the illusion of magnetism, this would entail using dance and shadow-moves to generate the appearance of the sticks either attracting or repelling each other. Would work well with different color sticks if you treated one color as positive and another as negative using three sticks with one always being hidden in a pocket or something.

For freehanding, D86 gave me the idea of using my rubik's cube as a third stick and solving it. It's a tough routine, but I love it.

I was also thinking if people had more fun with it, I see freehanders dead serious facially, but when I watch wuxanXan, he does some pretty funny stuff. Same with RG. Making intentional mistakes and building a combo out of it would be cool.

ok this one is way out there. give the sticks a character and try and make them embody the characteristics of it. for example make one stick a humming bird and the other a flower the humming bird hovers near the flower super fast helis and tiny tosses maybe. or make one a dog and the other a cat, and they chase each other the cat stick runs up your arm and the dog stick runs around the base because it can't climb. it doesn't have to be animals either you could have one stick be a car and the other a stop light every time car stick comes up to stop light stick it pauses to wait for a green lol. one stick is made of lead and the other is a feather so one stick is super heavy and the other just floats away.

i told you it was out there...

pretend like you're knitting lol. i can't knit myself but i can crochet and i thought it'd be somethin weird to try and re-enact in freehand. just spittin out ideas lol

this is somewhat inside the box but its definitly a new move.

Stall the glowstick with one hand, then push lightly upward on it to make it bounce, then cradle it down, and push it back up. But your doing all of this super quick, idk what kind of effect you would get, probably something like a rocky road or an earthquake.

Expescially if you can do this with both hands at the same time. :)

Probably a more difficult one that would require a lot of practice.

A stomach trace except behind your back so your tracing a circle on your back.

I dont think I could ever pull this one off.

I've actually been practicing this for a week. It's tough, but definately doable.

How about when you drop a glowstick and still have one in your hand you forget about the one you lost.

Continue on sticking with just that one stick.

Stall from one hand to the other quickly, back and forth.

Grab the stick at both ends and move it step by step.

Maybe while your doing these one stick moves you can move closer to your lost stick so that you can pick it up while tracing your legs.

How about when you drop a glowstick and still have one in your hand you forget about the one you lost.

Continue on sticking with just that one stick.

Stall from one hand to the other quickly, back and forth.

Grab the stick at both ends and move it step by step.

Maybe while your doing these one stick moves you can move closer to your lost stick so that you can pick it up while tracing your legs.

WuxanXan's Magic Fingers.

I think that freehand ground traces should be explored further. Depending on the angle the stick is held while performing them I can think of some impressive combos.

Probably a more difficult one that would require a lot of practice.

A stomach trace except behind your back so your tracing a circle on your back.

I dont think I could ever pull this one off.

It's definitely possible. I've seen my friend do it clean. I can back trace with my right hand only, the left hand is still dumb. But I'm hoping to get that one down soon. In fact, a lot of the finger isos and helicopters can be done behind the back as well. This is where learning how to string comes in handy. *Sigh*

this would require alot of arm strenth and learning how to break dance, but when you drop a stick you do some crazy breakdancing spins on the ground, then do a handstand on top of the dropped glowstick and while you get back up onto your feet you also pick up the glowstick.

I challenged Wushu to try this:

Heli toss, but catching the glowsticks on the sole of your feet when you do a handstand, then tossing them up and standing up and catching them.

I have this random ass toss, lol. I sortof call it the "elevator toss". Cuz you chuck a glowstick up, and drop quickly to your knees before catching it. Or when you're on your knees, you chuck the stick up and catch it when you stand back up. What do ya think?

I've been playing hackysack a fair bit with my friends, trying to get a jester type foot tap in control with a glowstick is fkn hard.
It's all about how you drop the glowstick. A nice, fast horizontal heli is suffice.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably someone already thought/done this, but anyways for freehanding, i get tired of bending over to pick up sticks when i drop them, so instead i just make a trace off the floor with the other glowstick and pick up the one on the floor while im making a trace off the floor ;p

Archived