i can accept that.

also, to anyone: where is a good place to find bead making kits? i want to start making my own kandi, and have no idea where to start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsF-XmQS6cg

stretch magic is bittersweet. its not good for large pieces because once it stretches out it does not go back to its original shape. ive got pieces that were meant for down on my wrist but i have so many that i wear them up higher and now they wont fit lower on my arm... my friend elements also notes that stretch magic can dig into your arm and hurt really bad (mostly when you wear it higher up) if you can find cloth elastic at .7,.8, or 1 width (maybe a little bigger than 1) it doesnt hurt as bad and it retains its shape

walmart is cheapest, then michaels, then joanns for beads... lol its all in the video =P

i explained it to a non-raver at disneyland one time (at raverday) that theyre like friendship bracelets.. when we meet someone we trade to remember them, then i pointed out a few significant ones i got from best friends, first parties, stuff like that

for some people its a cheap accessory (but in all seriousness, if you were to add up the money ive spent on beads it would definitely be in the hundreds so its not that cheap) some people see it as just a fashion statement and think "the more beads i have, the more awesome i am!" but in my opinion kandi is worthless unless there is a story or a face behind it.

trance-rckr!!! i wanna show u how a ton of us trade kandi out here =] its a little different... ill try and explain it...

step one: each person throws up peace signs and touches the two fingers (peace)

step two: make a heart (love)

step 3: palms together (unity)

step 4: "hold hands" fingers lace together (like normal trading) (respect)

step 5: trade kandi

(step 6.. i do it but not everyone): high 5 (responsibility)

and then hugs and squeals as people see their kandi

That is my absolute favorite way to trade Kandi. I do that every time now.... learned it at Kandy Fest this year. :D

A little known fact:

Kandi originated in the rave scenes of London and Brooklyn as a means of identifying drug dealers. Back then rave culture wasn't as developed as it is now, there was no determined style of how anybody dressed, people would just show up in plain old street clothes. Ecstasy dealers eventually came up with the idea of dressing in bright colors and wearing plastic bracelets to distinguish themselves because the bright colored beads and patterns were reminiscent of the many different bright colors, shapes, and patterns found pressed onto pills of ecstasy. You would just hunt down the guy who was dressed the most colorfully and wearing the most kandi and he would sell you drugs. (this was long before the cops were even aware the rave scene existed) The more ridiculous a dealer would dress, the more money he/she would make hence why a culture developed promoting more and more flamboyant crazy styles as dealers all tried to one-up each other with their "dealer costumes"

After a decade Kandi and bright colors stopped being a culture solely of drug dealers, but became the entire style of dress for the rave scene in general.

A little known fact:

Kandi originated in the rave scenes of London and Brooklyn as a means of identifying drug dealers. Back then rave culture wasn't as developed as it is now, there was no determined style of how anybody dressed, people would just show up in plain old street clothes. Ecstasy dealers eventually came up with the idea of dressing in bright colors and wearing plastic bracelets to distinguish themselves because the bright colored beads and patterns were reminiscent of the many different bright colors, shapes, and patterns found pressed onto pills of ecstasy. You would just hunt down the guy who was dressed the most colorfully and wearing the most kandi and he would sell you drugs. (this was long before the cops were even aware the rave scene existed) The more ridiculous a dealer would dress, the more money he/she would make hence why a culture developed promoting more and more flamboyant crazy styles as dealers all tried to one-up each other with their "dealer costumes"

After a decade Kandi and bright colors stopped being a culture solely of drug dealers, but became the entire style of dress for the rave scene in general.

I wanted to make sure someone else hadn't posted it before I did.

This is exactly what I read about the history of Kandi when I started hanging in the rave scene. You're right. A way of identifying the drug dealers in a bit dark (ish) room full of hundreds, or thousands of people.

I think some may still do it nowadays, but I know that I don't wear kandi for this reason. I love the colors, as most of the family here does. I've never traded, the way you guys do.

I like making different bracelets, necklaces and chokers for my friends and giving it to them as gifts. With every one, I add something different that I know they'll like. Sometimes I add glass beads or ornaments with cool colors mixed with them.

I don't think San Antonio/ Texas area has a tradition for trading. If they do, I don't know of it yet :(

Well i agree with everyone, I mean i do Kandi so i can meet other people and find out things about them. Its just like glowsticking you meet other people threw it and you can also meet people threw Kandi just a differnt way i guess :)

I've never traded kandi with anyone and i've never been to any meetups or raves nor is there anyone around here in my area into the whole kandi thing so i've never had the chance to really trade.

But I do have a lot of kandi.

I make them all but each piece has a meaning. Some of the pieces are secretly dedicated to people on GSC just as a thanks ^_^ I've never made a piece just to make one though. Some I make to sell. Some I make for friends. Most I make for myself.

I think its a great creativity thing and it can show who you are depending on what you've made ^_^

hmm... that's interesting, the drug part... it's amazing to see how something like that developed into a much richer and stronger culture

Yes...oddly enough drugs can be something that bring a lot of people together. I know that there is some people at the school I go to that do weed and they are the tightest nit group I've ever seen. It's not exactly the healthiest thing to do ever but it can make some good friendships.

lol well... I was actually referring more to it progressing from that into a culture of unity and support amongst all //_^'

I don't think San Antonio/ Texas area has a tradition for trading. If they do, I don't know of it yet :(

you need to come to Dallas texas to a place called Afterlife. There are a good amount of kandi kids that run around there, including me :D

there really is no certain tradition that we do, but its still a friendly positive vibe around here. everyone is nice, and its really awesome.

let me know if you ever travel to the area, and I'll make some peices for you!

you need to come to Dallas texas to a place called Afterlife. There are a good amount of kandi kids that run around there, including me :D

there really is no certain tradition that we do, but its still a friendly positive vibe around here. everyone is nice, and its really awesome.

let me know if you ever travel to the area, and I'll make some peices for you!

I'm going to be in Dallas for A kon in the Summer. I think I might even travel there for no good reason at all during the various weekends in the Summer time with my friends. :)

I'll be sure to get in contact with you! I wanna make some for you too ^.^

*goes to your profile*

Yes...oddly enough drugs can be something that bring a lot of people together. I know that there is some people at the school I go to that do weed and they are the tightest nit group I've ever seen. It's not exactly the healthiest thing to do ever but it can make some good friendships.

Though this is a little off topic, I have to agree. Some of my nights when I did partake in drugs at raves were the nights I felt I bonded a lot more with people.

aah well i dont know much about kandi and all but i do remember making a few with some friends waaaaay back. . . i have a few bracelets and little animals and what not.

never new this kind of kandi tradition thing goes on. great info haha.

i wanna show u how a ton of us trade kandi out here =] its a little different... ill try and explain it...

step one: each person throws up peace signs and touches the two fingers (peace)

step two: make a heart (love)

step 3: palms together (unity)

step 4: "hold hands" fingers lace together (like normal trading) (respect)

step 5: trade kandi

(step 6.. i do it but not everyone): high 5 (responsibility)

and then hugs and squeals as people see their kandi

I know its been said once or twice already, but that really is the coolest way to trade kandi that i've ever heard of. I'm gonna start doing that and getting everyone else I meet to do the same. I'll start this saturday in NYC :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've personally been to parties and events up and down California and I've seen all types of kandi trading! the PLUR technique however is pretty unique (never actually seen that personally!) I for one am not a kandi kid but i have a lot of friends that are... i do wear some kandi bracelets that have significant meaning to me!! such as epic nights and the ones given by special people that make it to certain events that i never see at anymore! ahhh, shitttt.... typing this shit makes me sad!

• 3 weeks later...

i want sum :(

Kandi, when I first started going to raves, seemed more like a fashion statement, but now a lot of pieces of kandi have a lot of meaning for me. My most treasured pieces of kandi are from my two best friends who moved across the country. I have another from when I got split up and lost at my first rave and a group of people let me chill with them for a hour while my friends found me. There's many more with many different stories, but that's the aspect that I like about it the most.

sweet, more stories. So, how big's your kandi collection nowadays ppl???

• 3 weeks later...
gaahh, i love us gsc kandi kids!!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't agree with you more!!!!!!!!!!!

And as far a my kandi collection..... i have about 100 pieces that i have made and about 50 that were traded.... problem is i keep giving out kandi to people that don't even have it on..... people that ask about kandi but don't own any always get SOMETHING from me, then i give them my aim sn and the gsc website..... oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh i love kaaaaandiiiiii!

i want sum :(

haha if you lived nearby I would give you one!

I just started making kandi and I am ADDICTED.

I'd love to trade with people, but nobody here really makes them. But they always ask for a piece and I usually give one up. I hope they remember me when they look back on it in 20 years. . .

But its really cool because it keeps my hands occupied so I don't scratch myself anymore. Kind of like a substitute knitting, gimp, or sewing thing ^^

Fox41, I live in the Dallas Area. How far away is it from dallas to your area? If its not too far, you should come to a local club that alot of kandi kids go to. I'd be more than happy to give you some :)

as far as my collection goes, I am a little over 100. I plan to get insane and drop some good money and order some large amounts of beads. I really want to get heavy into my kadi, but it does NOT help as a stringer. It constantly gets caught in my shit, so Im slowly learning freehanding.

A little known fact:

From my understanding, this evolution of kandi from drug dealers only to the rave masses came around 96-97 when the kandi kid fad blew up. I'm also told by a few sources who raved in that era that when it came to trading kandi, proper etiquette was that you NEVER asked a kandi kid for a bracelet or necklace if you didn't have anything to trade back. You had to be GIVEN one from another kandi kid if he/she approached you first. Mind you, I'm going by personal experiences from people in the Norcal area when such venues like Homebase and 2nd and Jackson were in existence.

In some ways, I wished that sort of etiquette was still around. One of the main reasons why I fell out of the kandi kid trend were that people would ask me all the time for free kandi, and others would just demand it, like I'm some sort of kandi dispensing machine. I did give more than my fair share of bracelets and necklaces away without any trades whatsoever. And sometimes I'd give away the ones that took me more time to make. Nowadays I'll see some kids wearing kandi around on the street and I'll comment about it like "Oh hey, kandi." And they'll be like "What? These are friendship bracelets dude. I don't rave." *Facepalm*

Yeah I'm jaded these days. <_<

Im reversed. the ones ive made on my right and ones given to me on my left.

AWW! Memories of awesome kandi-ness!

I do the same since when I first received my first kandi piece it was given to me that way, so from then on I did the same.

I love kandi memories, although I have a few that I don't remember who gave them to me (sorry if one of them is anyone on this thread) - but I do remember where/when I received them.

I will definitely have lots to give out to EDC and am still in the works of making pieces :) can't wait!

I'm making tons of kandi for EDC...

Anyways. Kandi was introduced to me through one of the seniors the year I switched to a local performance art high school. (not shockingly, rave culture was a huge thing at my high school although I was essentially the last "kandi raver" at my school and I graduated in 2004. emo and scene since took over). I still have the first piece I ever got and the first glowsticks I ever used for freehanding. I didn't make my own until about a year after I got my first piece and then I didn't make very much.

Then rave culture pretty much died here in J-ville. I still broke out my UFO's and baggy kandi raver pants and everything every so often (can't keep bright colours locked away forever).

Now, in my whatever-th year of university, we have a ton (i.e. like 10) of kandi kids from Texas and Arizona and Jersey completely re-invading J-ville plus glowstringing and such has really picked up around here on a weekly-biweekly basis.

Now, about once a week, we have kandi making parties with movies and such and then we generally go out somewhere afterwards being loud and proud and sharing and caring.

And the PLUR trading thing was introduced to me about 2 or 3 months ago by a really good friend of mine from university. Now we use that at raves, electric music parties, and meet-ups whenever we trade or someone's feeling somewhat down or something. I always end with hugs. And sometimes I almost knock people over with massive hugs before we get to do the hand stuff ^.^ especially if I randomly see someone with kandi (and then they see my kandi, and then eyes light up, and it sounds like two 13 year olds squealing and knocking people over for a few minutes)

Yeah. Kandi is huge here in Jacksonville. Traded or gifted. But everyone ends up learning the PLUR version if they trade with me or I gift one to someone.

Eek. That was far longer than expected... kandi makes me babble and go on forever <3 so many stories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived