Double clutching

Xyphox

If I have to downshift quickly I usually don't....but if Im just cruisin, I find myself double clutching almost everytime.

no, it's not for old ass cars. It's for manual transmission cars.

If I'm not mistaken it's for a smoother ride so you dont have that slow down then sudden lurch when you shift gears at higher speeds.

i know its for manual, but stick shift cars these days don't have helical shaped gearboxing like the old days, meaning cars know shouldn't jerk when shifting down I think

no, it's not for old ass cars. It's for manual transmission cars.

If I'm not mistaken it's for a smoother ride so you dont have that slow down then sudden lurch when you shift gears at higher speeds.

actually noodles is correct, it is for "old ass cars" more specifically vehicles without syncros. Mainly now a days 18 wheelers double shift, but no one else really should, it's a waste of time and energy. it's not really for a smoother ride, it's just to get your gears in synch. but with cars now having synchros there is no need for double clutch.

and what double clutching is is, lets say you're in 3rd gear and you're going into 4th. you shift from 3rd to neutral let go of clutch and then clutch and go into 4th.

I just don't see a point in double clutching when downshifting, if i'm goin into a stop sign i just put that bitch in neutral. now if i'm slowing down and making a turn or a car in front is making a turn and i'm going again i usually just downshift into the correct gear, no need for double clutching.

It does make for a smoother ride. Less work for the synchros and your transmission will last longer. It's not necessary, but it's a good idea. shift from 5th to 4th without slowing down or double clutching and just pop the clutch. You'll jerk like crazy. Now try it again, but this time double clutch and rev match. If you rev match perfectly, you'll feel nothing at all.

There's no need for double clutching when you up shift because the synchros will get it in gear and then by the time you let out the clutch you'll be pretty well rev matched.

BTW the reason i posted this was for exactly this type of discussion :D i wanna see what everyone thinks about it.

well if you're going from 5th to 4th you're usually in a high speed zone right? and the reason why you would do that is to pass a car? so if you down shift into 4th you're already going to gas it so it's goin to sit you back in your seat anyways.

I still believe that you're tranny can last longer without the use of double clutching. Just depends on how you drive the car.

dbl clutching = stupid term revived by fast n furious. only needed in big rigs n oooold ass cars.

however, you CAN match engine rpms to transmission/wheel speed in neutral or with the clutch down, and then engage the gear for a smoother downshift. --this is not double clutching, but very helpful if you are say racing from a roll. there is also heel toe shifting which is pretty much the same concept but for downshifting around corners...

however if you mean downshifting to stop, well put in the brakes and let out the clutch slowly, then it will be smooth.

dbl clutching isnt necessary on any car except certain "heavy duty type trucks like semis or work trucks" so its basically a ricer term. I CAN SHIFT FASTER THAN JOO

think about it man, it puts way less wear on your synchronizers. And no, it's not something i got from fast n furious. My dad has been double clutching ever since he started driving. Releasing the clutch gets the clutch disk up to speed. When the clutch is held in it slows down.

I double clutch on downshifts (going into a turn) at the track, but not so much on the street. I think it makes it a little smoother at high rpms (which always is nice in a turn), but it's not really noticeable at low rpms. It's completely pointless on upshifts, though. Most of the racers I know double clutch (except for the drag racers; drag racers don't double clutch).

I also double clutch when I'm trying to get into first from 15+mph, since otherwise it takes forever for the synchros to match up...

Dunno..., didn't think there was so much debate over it.

• 3 months later...

Double clutching really doesn't do much for you except build up calf muscle strength. My old man had to double clutch in his 56 Buick Special only because the gears didnt have synchronizers, but that was back in 1966. I am also an avid drag racer, and semi mechanic. Most semi drivers don't even use their clutch to shift gears. Only from a dead stop into first or reverse. My 1980 Scout II you have to double clutch to get into first whenever because i have the tranny set up so first is non-synchronized. Heel to toe is a different story when taking turns. But double clutching on the freeway in a newer car is really pointless. At least in my own mind.

Archived