The Economics Of Gas

With gas prices the way they are these days I want to get the most for my money. I know my car runs a lot better and seems to eat gas a lot slower if I put premium / super unleaded gas in it. But I usually put in regular / unleaded because it's the cheapest. Does anybody know which is actually more economically efficient? Do I get more mileage for my money by buying the premium gas?

Yes that is exactly why. But that's not the question posted :P The question is which is more economic? Basically does your money go farther by buying premium gas or by buying regular gas. I'm sure it can vary from vehicle to vehicle, but overall I'd think one would be slightly more efficient when it comes to how much mileage you get for your money. That's what I want to know. Especially with the road trip to EDC coming up. We want to save as much money as possible and its a LONG way. 3 day trip = lots of gas = lots of money considering the insane gas prices of today.

If you have the money, do a comparison test. Buy a whole tank of each type, and record your mileage for each one.

i'll do an example for this (simplified number used):

20 gallon tank

you drive 200 miles on regular and 400 miles on premium

10miles/gallon regular 20miles/gallon premium

divide regular by $2/gallon and premium by $4/gallon

5miles/$ regular and 5miles/$premium

Make sense? ("dimensional analysis")

As for us straight up telling you--none of us know your mileage right now, so I can't do it for you. It's mostly dependent on how many more miles/gallon you get and your base mileage. (14:16 is a larger ratio than 32:34). I also don't know how much gas is where you live.

I just asked a professional mechanic and this was the reply:

regular

with the way gas prices are, premium is a hell of a lot higher than regular, and yet premium only gives slightly better gas mileage

you might get maybe, and i mean maybe, like 2 more mpg

you get better mileage because premium burns slightly more efficiently, whereas regular burns very easily, and a little quicker

it takes more heat to burn premium

but still, the difference mileage-wise isnt a whole lot

regular gas is actually better for the motor anyway, its built to burn regular

some cars will actually run worse on higher grade gas simply due to the fact theyre not designed to use it

So it looks like regulars the way to go. It's amazing that they don't tell you stuff like that...some cars run worse on higher grades because they're not made to use it....wow. (and I was just told by the mechanic that most car manuals tell you to use regular)

Yeah the only reason to use premium is if your engine needs it (though most engines can still run on regular when it's not needed.)

Also, I thought of a quick way to do this, though you'd still need to know your mileage:

Ratio of Regular:Premium mileage and ratio of Regular:Premium gasoline

if ratio 1 is > ratio 2, stick with regular, if ratio 1 is < ratio 2, use premium (I might have that backwards, it's getting late.)

Higher octane prevents engine ping(ignition of fuel before ignition time). Higher compression ratio engines and higher revving engines love premo gasoline. Also ping hurts a motor.

Anything carbd you can get away with cheap gas unless its a all out race car.

Things to consider when at the pump.

How hot the motor runs the hotter, the higher the octane.

High compression, high revving use higher octane.

Extremely advanced or retarded timming, use higher octane.

Forced induction use high octane.

Just slowly step it down from this list to meet your motor and youll find the most effecient gas that you engine will run on. Also keep ontop of your mainteance.

and also it depends on whether you will be doing city driving or highway driving. when it comes to highway driving you might as well get regular gas.

my Integra is only supposed to take premium because the high revving gsr motor but nowadays ive been only putting regular in it. the only difference is im not utilizing my power as much as i could be doing on the higher rpms. then again who floors it between every stop light?

then again who floors it between every stop light?

*raises hand* I do. I know the timing of the lights in my area, I hit them on the yellows.

That and my transmission is slipping and doesn't shift properly so I need to floor it to get any decent acceleration, even at low speeds. It's supposed to switch gears at just over 2k rpms, but if usually doesn't till about 3k rpms, sometimes 4k during low speeds. It's like an MT before they had the synchro, where you'd have a strong lurch during upshift.

and also it depends on whether you will be doing city driving or highway driving. when it comes to highway driving you might as well get regular gas.

my Integra is only supposed to take premium because the high revving gsr motor but nowadays ive been only putting regular in it. the only difference is im not utilizing my power as much as i could be doing on the higher rpms. then again who floors it between every stop light?

*Raises hand with a strong caveat*

Like easy, I know the light timing on the way home. Unfortunately, it switches between two different timings, so either I look like a dumbass hitting the light with a lot of acceleration, or I hit every yellow and save 5-10 minutes of waiting at lights. I don't do it all the time tho.

*Raises hand with a strong caveat*

Like easy, I know the light timing on the way home. Unfortunately, it switches between two different timings, so either I look like a dumbass hitting the light with a lot of acceleration, or I hit every yellow and save 5-10 minutes of waiting at lights. I don't do it all the time tho.

well i agree with you guys when the road is mainly empty and you have your lights memorized because I do this too sometimes. its just I meant to say in traffic you dont speed alot and use your higher rpms.

My Jeeps 4.0L I currently run 85octane, but once the stroked 4.7L(made from a 242 and 258) Im using 92octane for a couple months after break in and drop it to 87 octane. 4.0s seem to enjoy pinging if everything isnt perfectly setup. To bad I wont be keeping it long after the swap Im buying a Toyota Matrix XRs high reving to 8300 redline which I plan to abuse on 92octane.

Also I enjoy ripping my automatic transmission to shreds from sign to sign. Fun 1/8mile track run tip if your have a 4x4. Remove the front drive shaft, put it in 4Lo add some weight to the rear, and scare the crap out of Honduhhs. Expect to loose all the gas in your tank and change tranny and transfer case oils after.

Archived