Steering wheel vs. Stick Shift

ill have one hand on the wheel and the other in my lap. i dont have that nice arm rest in between the seats cuz its an old car and im not about to hold my arm up for an hour when im driving to see larky =P plus theres no point in having your hand on the stick if youre on the freeway and in 5th gear. unless theres traffic... then maybe its ok.. and if i had my hand on the stick all the time how would i change the radio station or text or hold someones hand or eat or drink or do all the other things people probably shouldnt do while driving but do anyways because driving gets SO EXTREMELY BORING after a while. =] oh and yeah the boringness is why i like stick better. its like a video game. automatic you have no control and dont have to pay attention really cuz the car does the shifting for you.

REAL MEN DRIVE STICK!!!

therefore i am a real man?? ><' NOOOOO!!!!

ill have one hand on the wheel and the other in my lap. i dont have that nice arm rest in between the seats cuz its an old car and im not about to hold my arm up for an hour when im driving to see larky =P plus theres no point in having your hand on the stick if youre on the freeway and in 5th gear. unless theres traffic... then maybe its ok.. and if i had my hand on the stick all the time how would i change the radio station or text or hold someones hand or eat or drink or do all the other things people probably shouldnt do while driving but do anyways because driving gets SO EXTREMELY BORING after a while. =] oh and yeah the boringness is why i like stick better. its like a video game. automatic you have no control and dont have to pay attention really cuz the car does the shifting for you.

REAL MEN DRIVE STICK!!!

therefore i am a real man?? ><' NOOOOO!!!!

hahahaha! That reminds me of a bumpersticker my friend gave me "Real Chicks Drive Stick" and it has the gear pattern and a heart. hehehe.

I like having control of the transmission and torque. Oh yeah, what kind of car do you have? I've got an '82 VW rabbit. So I totally know how it is to not have a console or armrests. lame. lol

• 3 months later...

I generally drive one hand on the wheel at either 9-10 o'clock or 12 o'clock and one hand on the shifter. It's more comfortable to me and after all these years I drive better under regular driving conditions with one hand than I do with two.

If I'm going especially fast or doing highway driving, I will sometimes use two hands on the wheel. It's mostly only for quick driving in a straight line though.

I usually have both hands on the wheel since, well, that is how I learned it (and I think it has a bit of a racier look to it)

80% of time: one on wheel, one on shifter

20% of time: both hands on wheel

most of the time i drive an auto, but occasionally i drive a stick ('88 ford ranger with a clutch that my dad insists on not replacing) and i find it easier to drive one hand on the wheel, one hand on the shifter

• 3 months later...

I drive with one hand on the wheel and the other on the shifter for faster shifting, I have a CRX so most guys will pull up beside me wanting to race, and im never a person to turn down a chance to whoop a little butt. :) I drive a 5spd so yea :)

Except when riding the bike, foot shifter :) Gotta love it

• 2 weeks later...

when im driving fast/racing, its both hands on wheel and quickly shifting or sometimes one hand on wheel and one on shift knob

Causally its one hand on wheel and one on shift knob

When texting its legs on wheel, hands on phone, and one hand will shift when needed.

• 2 months later...

Even with a manual, both hands *need* to be on the wheel at all times, only removing one hand to shift when needed.

Also, resting/laying your hand on top of the shifter can damage some of the components that you do not see while driving.

Just some friendly tips :) Drive safe

Archived