Steering wheel vs. Stick Shift

I drive with one hand on the wheel and shift with the other. for me its way more relaxing and helps out alot.

One hand on the wheel, other hand always on the shifter. The only time I put both hands on the wheel is if I am going into a higher than normal speed corner. Gotta hold the car so I dont spin out!

nope i'm an ex racer, and we were trained to drive with both hands on the steering wheel, cuz bottom line when you have to avoid a crash at high speed, your reaction with both hands its a lot more faster than with one hand, plus as a normal driver im pretty quick shifting, both hands on wheel then shift fast and get my hand on the wheel again!!

just watch the rally racers how they do it, its just because one handed driving is pretty much not a good defensive stance!!

I tend to manually shift my automatic alot. Right hand on the shifter, left hand on the wheel. When Im bored and on lonely rode I tend to have my shoulder out the window and left hand on the top of the wheel, and the right hand index finger keeping tension on the bottom of the wheel. Long trips after being up dancing for 8 hours I go two hands at 10 and 2. Never use cruise control I like feeling in control and alert.

Pretty sure the usual position for most guy drivers is the lean with one hand on the wheel, and one on the shifter or out the window.

Sometimes I dont even use my whole had just a finger resting on the bottom of the wheel

I tend to manually shift my automatic alot.
Doesn't that fuck up the transmission?

Pretty sure the usual position for most guy drivers is the lean with one hand on the wheel, and one on the shifter or out the window.

Sometimes I dont even use my whole had just a finger resting on the bottom of the wheel

lol same

^ shifting an automatic like he says a lot will mess it up in the long run.

Ive know of plenty of people in Jeep with a Aisin Warner 4 auto, and 86.5-92 Supra Aisin Warner 4 autos that shift like that. AW4 is a pretty strong transmission, mines been through hell and back netural drops, going from O/D to Reverse.

Also manually shifting hasnt hurt a auto. Its when people screw with the kickdown cable on the throttle body or shift way late and overheat the transmission. The valve bodies are sensitive to pressure and heat.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

One on wheel, on on shift nob in most cases. The only time i generally have both on the wheel is in top gear on highway (normal speeds 65-75) or when im tired....considering i drive about 20 minutes into town everyday....Dx

At speed i use both hands on the steering wheel but usually at the 5 and 7 o clock positions.

When i am cruising the streets i keep one hand at the 9 or 10 o clock position and one hand on the stick shift.

But at times i keep both hands on my stick...shift....

HAHAHA im jk

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

TRY to have both hands on wheel and shift when I need to.

However I'm lazy and i just keep one hand on the shifter.

I do go to the track from time to times and you always keep those hands firmly planted to the wheel.

You can't counter steer very easily with one hand..

• 1 month later...

I used to rally race- dirt track when I was younger. So it was like your hands are glued to the steering wheel. When I got my license I still drove very defensively. Now, after years of traffic in norcal, and a year and a half of traffic in LA. I tend to drive:

left elbow chillin out the window.

Right hand chillin on the stick.

the space right above my right knee supports the bottom of the wheel.

That way my left is free to constantly shift in traffic.

It sounds terrible, but in traffic I could care less. Freeway- and I drive like I'm at the track. :)

Archived