Inovastick v.2: Tutorial

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a question.

Will the goop ever completely solidify so that it seals the bottom completely?

I don't believe so. That's why you should keep it in cool areas. I remember once I left an old pair of mine in a car a while back, and they melted. D:

I have a question.

Will the goop ever completely solidify so that it seals the bottom completely?

The goop does, but the wonder water doesn't. Maybe if it gets really really hot then it does but it never has for me o.o. Then again I live in norcal so I wouldn't know. I have no idea how hot it gets where you live haha.

The goop does, but the wonder water doesn't. Maybe if it gets really really hot then it does but it never has for me o.o. Then again I live in norcal so I wouldn't know. I have no idea how hot it gets where you live haha.

Canada is basically a frozen wasteland for about 10 months of the year. :P

I ended up making some of these sticks yesterday. I made some of the sketchiest cuts ever, but it still came out fairly decent ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to throw this out there as a side note, but in my high school, glowsticking was actually one of the reasons a lot of people met me and knew me. Everyone I knew thought it was extremely cool to watch and I got a few people interested and started teaching them about it and how to do it. Maybe it's just because I was a more outgoing type of person who was already friends with everyone, but no one ever made fun of me for it and most people gave me a lot of props for knowing how to do such a cool talent.

But anyways, more on topic and the reason why I'm posting.

Where would be a good place to buy Wonder Water? I was at an ACE Hardware over the weekend and looked around a little bit for some but was unable to find anything and didn't want to buy the wrong thing. I was thinking I would be able to find some at Hobby Lobby or pretty much any hardware store but maybe I'm wrong.

Also, for the LED lights, on the website I found they only sold the LED's in bulk, however I did see that someone posted that they found them on the FRY's website in which case I would buy them there. But, are there any other LED's that could be used, possibly one's that are brighter?

Thank you very much in advance.

Has anyone tried taking the electronics out of the casing and setting them into a potting compound in the base of the sticks eg. http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=4057 as this is specially made for electronics to protect them from shock and water. Its also non conductive meaning it can be used to encase all the electronics entirely.

Provided the LED was sticking out of the top (the base could be in the compound) and the battery space was left free, I would have thought that this might provide a solution both for adding weight and also allowing the electronics to fit entirely within the stick body. Potting compounds are usually very hard and I guess potentially breakable but sitting in the base of the tube there isn't going to be much impact there anyway. I would have thought one way to fit it in would be to get a tube of slightly smaller diameter than the stick tube internally, place the electronics in a piece of the tube externally with the on/ off button on the side, set the electronics with the compund then fix the tube inside the tube.

• 2 weeks later...
hey guys I just made my first LED glowstick with this tutorial and I discovered that hand sanitizer makes good mojo for those who cant get their hands on wonder water

does it become solid if you let it sit?

no.. but it works about as well as hair gel. just wanted to point it out though

ok, just wondering..

Muzz found something that works great, idk what it is though :/

The ones I made for EDC are still working like a boss!!

I haven't put any mojo in it tho due to the fact I can't get my hands on a substance that hardens really clear.

• 2 months later...

so i was wondering if you could use those for handles too? cause making a set of these for glowchucking would save me major bucks. also has anyone used the flashier inovas inside of the sticks? i.e. magic inova, elements, x fusion?

so i was wondering if you could use those for handles too? cause making a set of these for glowchucking would save me major bucks. also has anyone used the flashier inovas inside of the sticks? i.e. magic inova, elements, x fusion?

I think they would work fine for handles, just make sure to really clean up those edges so it doesnt hurt your hand at all.

As for your other question, it really doesnt matter what LED light you put into it, all you need to do is change the size of the cuts you make on the stick so whatever light you want to use will still fit snugly inside the stick. It MIGHT change the weight, but it would be a minuscule amount. The only way to notice a difference in weight would be to put it on a scale.

Hope that answers your questions well enough :P If you have anymore feel free to ask :)

I think they would work fine for handles, just make sure to really clean up those edges so it doesnt hurt your hand at all.

As for your other question, it really doesnt matter what LED light you put into it, all you need to do is change the size of the cuts you make on the stick so whatever light you want to use will still fit snugly inside the stick. It MIGHT change the weight, but it would be a minuscule amount. The only way to notice a difference in weight would be to put it on a scale.

Hope that answers your questions well enough :P If you have anymore feel free to ask :)

cool thanks. for my second question im going to put inovas but with color patterns that i use for my gloves. would putting them in a stick dull down the effect they have?

• 1 month later...

i made some inova sticks the other day except i skipped the cutting the hole in the bottom part, i just cleaned it thru the cuts i made on the side of the stick but im still trying to find a way to add weight without the possibility of it seeping out :\ has anyone come up with a better way yet?

green.jpg

greenswing.jpg

magic.jpg

magicswing.jpg

violet.jpg

violetswing.jpg

I have some old weights that use iron ball bearings to make the weights. Took out some bearings, put them in a small clear baggy, and dropped them in the bottom sticks. Maybe put some glue at the bottom to hold the bag. Should add a bit of weight. Will try it some other time. :)

Any one out there gave these a shot i really like the idea of color morphing patterns

http://yhst-13210512562222.stores.yahoo.ne...ts-dropz-2.html

Just throwing it out there solid color is great ! I just think with the right weight and if the lights are bright enough the Dropz brand would look wicked! :clover: :clover: :clover:

I have some old weights that use iron ball bearings to make the weights. Took out some bearings, put them in a small clear baggy, and dropped them in the bottom sticks. Maybe put some glue at the bottom to hold the bag. Should add a bit of weight. Will try it some other time. :)

cool ill see if i can find some bearings tho lol. what i used right now is clear liquid soap and i covered the top with a durable clear plastic and super glued it closed so it wont drip. just wauting on it to finish drying.

Any one out there gave these a shot i really like the idea of color morphing patterns

http://yhst-13210512562222.stores.yahoo.ne...ts-dropz-2.html

Just throwing it out there solid color is great ! I just think with the right weight and if the lights are bright enough the Dropz brand would look wicked! :clover: :clover: :clover:

i was thinkin of buying some new bulbs that go from color to color and mode to mode. they r gonna look sick. and the voilets i have still do the tracer effect in dot mode

If you are thinking of getting ball bearings as weights i may have a suggestion. How about fishing weights there cheep and small with some good weight ? I am not sure of the name for them but they can be found every where WallMart any sports store with a fishing department etc...

I made my third pair today, this time using a pair of white photon freedoms that I just got today.

Initial thoughts: the freedoms are BRIGHT! and since they're smaller, there is more available glowstick for the light to show on.

Right now im trying to think of ways to cap off the bottoms so the light doesnt shine out so i dont unintentionally blind someone. any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
I made my third pair today, this time using a pair of white photon freedoms that I just got today.

Initial thoughts: the freedoms are BRIGHT! and since they're smaller, there is more available glowstick for the light to show on.

Right now im trying to think of ways to cap off the bottoms so the light doesnt shine out so i dont unintentionally blind someone. any ideas?

sharpie the bottom of the stick where it gets super bright? i just got in my x bulbs for my inovas and it looks pretty sick going thru the color changes and modes. ill see if i can get pics up soon or meybe even a vid when i go to bw.

Did you drill through the bottom? Or cut off the little stub?

If you drilled, I would use hot glue, it'll add a little bit of weight, and seal it up.

I can't think of anything to do if you completely cut the stub off. =/

idk y you would cut the bottom off when u can use the space where the inova goes to drain. i just used the hose to get everything out of it

For my pair I cut a hole on the bottom using a knife to drain. Its a lot easier to empty this way, because it is very messy if you just make the cuts first, and the glass can be hard to get out from such small slits.

I put in some hot glue to seal the bottoms (thanks Darkness :D!) and it works pretty well and does add a bit of weight.

I went to walmart yesterday and I saw they had completely clear elmers glue that supposedly dries clear too click here for the link. The link is from the elmer's glue website. I wonder if this stuff is any good

Archived