general racing (cars)

Jokur

So last month I bought my first manual car. A 1996 VW Passat GLX. Looking to mod it up (maybe) or just get it pretty and buy a non import to save some money. Anyways, I just want to talk about general street racing, techniques, shortcuts, just anything to improve street racing. I want to make a few bucks off these kids at my school who think their honda accords are hot shit. :) My biggest problem is taking off! Any tips? I currently just rev it high, and drop the clutch, but then I just burn out forever and doesn't seem like the best take off.

Talky talky!

well I don't wanna sound like some adult or something but I wouldn't really recommend street racing because you can just never know what happens plus your pretty young (and so am I) and you wouldn't wanna get in trouble or caught with that stuff because one of my friends got caught doing that and he got his car impounded, thrown in jail, and like 3k worth of fines at the end for bail and taking the car out..

now I understand when you just wanna show someone up and you can't resist it or your messing around on the streets because im guilty of it also but I would seriously recommend taking it to the Track because street racing In my honest opinion isn't that great especially when its drag or when traffic arises and then nobody can tell a clear win so fights just happen/whatnot.

As for me My Integra gsr's clutch is going out soon I can tell so i haven't been messing around that much but I think a fast start would be revving high and dropping the clutch.

like I said though just be careful and im not attacking ur want for street racing because I understand but just be safe in whatever you do.

Yea, I know about being safe, I never drive too fast or eratic when there are too many other cars around. So I guess I am just looking to talk about tuning up 'street cars'? haha. I want to still drive it almost daily, so nothing super. Just want to be able to smoke some ppl when the occasion arises :)

make a few bucks by telling them to meet you at the track.

street racing is retarded. End of discussion.

yeah basically what Dpan said lol..

as for making you car faster jokur I don't know much about passats but I would recommend joining a forum that is based around it because im pretty sure there is one. Nowadays there are car forums based around alot of cars and they can be helpful and give vital information about your car.

and it all depends how much you are willing to spend.

First thing I would do is make sure that eveything is in order. Do a tune-up. That includes replacing:

http://www.autohausaz.com/volkswagen-auto-...en-tuneups.html

some from the list....

- Spark plugs

- Spark plug wires

- Distributor cap and rotor

- Brake pads all around

- Coolant flush

- New oil

You don't have to do EVERYTHING. If you have a mechanic friend or your family goes to someone that is a real person and gives it to you straight up rather than charging you an arm and a leg and not telling you why. Ask them to go over your car and see what's up. See if there are leaks that need to be fixed, little parts that need to be replaced, etc.

Then once you are in good everyday driving condition...you can start to look at mods. There's no point in modding a car before it's in decent shape because mods can speed up something that is breaking or already broken and cause you twice the problems later.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/

http://www.volkswagentalk.com/

My rule of thumb is like this. First the engine needs to breath better. Let it inhale with a Cold Air Intake, let it exhale with Exhaust (full....manifold back).

It's a V6 so right there you have an advantage....only problem is instead of one header, you'll need 2...twice the money but worth it in the end..

Don't get the biggest muffler you can find. Go on the forums, ask them what you can get that will give you a good gain without sounding dumb and loud like all the civics in my area. My car is LOUD, but it goes as fast as it sounds.

After that, it's all about what you are looking for. Do you want more pull and acceleration from a stop, or do you want to be able to take off from when you are crusing to keep up with the people that fly by you with momentum.

OR do you want a car that hugs the road like its on rails, and loses the person on the auto cross course and makes them look dumb?

lol... I dunno. Cars are awesome. I didnt mean to sound like a hard ass in my original post. I just dont like street racing and think that it's not really a thing to brag about (not sayin you are, just in general). I'd rather brag about my latest auto cross time, or my 60ft time on my timeslip at the track.

Thats proof, and its something to be proud of. Not when you come home and post up about the $400 fine you got, or the $4000 you have to pay because some kid clipped you trying to win a race.

Just sayin man. Keep your cool.

First thing I would do is make sure that eveything is in order. Do a tune-up. That includes replacing:

http://www.autohausaz.com/volkswagen-auto-...en-tuneups.html

some from the list....

- Spark plugs

- Spark plug wires

- Distributor cap and rotor

- Brake pads all around

- Coolant flush

- New oil

You don't have to do EVERYTHING. If you have a mechanic friend or your family goes to someone that is a real person and gives it to you straight up rather than charging you an arm and a leg and not telling you why. Ask them to go over your car and see what's up. See if there are leaks that need to be fixed, little parts that need to be replaced, etc.

Then once you are in good everyday driving condition...you can start to look at mods. There's no point in modding a car before it's in decent shape because mods can speed up something that is breaking or already broken and cause you twice the problems later.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/

http://www.volkswagentalk.com/

My rule of thumb is like this. First the engine needs to breath better. Let it inhale with a Cold Air Intake, let it exhale with Exhaust (full....manifold back).

It's a V6 so right there you have an advantage....only problem is instead of one header, you'll need 2...twice the money but worth it in the end..

Don't get the biggest muffler you can find. Go on the forums, ask them what you can get that will give you a good gain without sounding dumb and loud like all the civics in my area. My car is LOUD, but it goes as fast as it sounds.

After that, it's all about what you are looking for. Do you want more pull and acceleration from a stop, or do you want to be able to take off from when you are crusing to keep up with the people that fly by you with momentum.

OR do you want a car that hugs the road like its on rails, and loses the person on the auto cross course and makes them look dumb?

lol... I dunno. Cars are awesome. I didnt mean to sound like a hard ass in my original post. I just dont like street racing and think that it's not really a thing to brag about (not sayin you are, just in general). I'd rather brag about my latest auto cross time, or my 60ft time on my timeslip at the track.

Thats proof, and its something to be proud of. Not when you come home and post up about the $400 fine you got, or the $4000 you have to pay because some kid clipped you trying to win a race.

Just sayin man. Keep your cool.

that is what i was looking for. Thanks. I am currently in line to replace my oil pan gasket, and rack & pinion. After that I have to replace my bloody timing chains. Also, to get a quicker acceleration from a stop, what would I get? Flywheel and accs.?

that is what i was looking for. Thanks. I am currently in line to replace my oil pan gasket, and rack & pinion. After that I have to replace my bloody timing chains. Also, to get a quicker acceleration from a stop, what would I get? Flywheel and accs.?

ok good. glad to see things are going good for you.

to get more acceleration you're going to need things to put power to the ground. i.e. like you said, lightweight flywheel, maybe a stage 1 or 2 clutch, and stuff like that. I honestly don't know how the VW drivetrains work and how efficient they are, so anything more in depth than that you're going to have to search for on the forums. Basically, you want to free up as much as you can so that the power can go its quickest from the engine to the wheels and get you on your way.

• 2 weeks later...

dont rev up so high, try to find a good level. keep it at that point and let off clutch at a mod pace. really depends on the clutch. some you have to be delicate some u can just dump.

try luanhcing at 3k rpm. other than that theres really nothing

one thing most ppl fuck up on in shifting is thier posture.

when u shift into second, make sure ur palm is over top with fingers pointed down to boot, not grabbing the shifter. and throw it into second with your wrist.

when shifting into third slide your palm under the shifter and push it into third.

its so much easier that way.

i've been around the place, used to work at VW, volkswagen have a problem with start up reving, what you would call hole race (high reving from the start), had a friend with a gli and put a supercharger plus a chip, in vw cars its not cheap.

myself have a 98 civic which i'll be painting it shortly and introducing a type r engine to it, swap includes supercharger kit, and i'll do custom pipe, easily 350 hp to the wheels, and it has a lot of torque!!

better consult every VW club for tips on how to improve succesfully the performance on your car!!

i wouldnt agree doing a tune without doing anything to the engine, if your plan its getting dirty!!

first, financial situation (how much are you willing to spent), labor( how many hours a day will you dedicate to your car, modified cars require much attention), how fast do you want to go (what is your goal) and last but no least (how much time are you willing to wait to see your goal finish).

myself have a 98 civic which i'll be painting it shortly and introducing a type r engine to it, swap includes supercharger kit, and i'll do custom pipe, easily 350 hp to the wheels, and it has a lot of torque!!

:coffee: Hmm. Type R motor + Supercharger = 350 hp easily??

• 4 weeks later...

Um well for one thing I don't wanna sound cheap or anything but VWs aren't cheap. I spent a ton just on repairing shit of my Jetta that guys from school broke. Wasn't even anything that major just a few small things. Thats why I plan on going with a DA Integra but I plan on saving for a Sony PD 170 so thats kinda out of the question. Um well I remember someone saying to check out the Vortex which is really good, there is also VW Fixx

I wouldn't really recommend running anyone unless you're in an area where there aren't a ton of cars. I've almost crashed a couple times traffic racing and had a couple scares from maxing my Jetta out. Haha but well I would say start with your basic tune up

Plugs, wires, oil, filters, ect.

Then if you really wanna invest money start with a CAI (Cold Air Intake) it'll allow your engine to take in cooler air as opposed to hot air like most kids have on their cars. This will allow for a more complete burn which will help, not a lot but it's a good start because I think it's the cheapest mod out there. I highly advise against a Short Ram Intake as it'll suck in the warm air from your engine compartment. However, it will make your car sound louder but too many people put parts on their car that don't do crap. Haha

I haven't been into the VW scene lately but I'm pretty sure Passats only come with a V6 not sure if it's a VR6 or something else but well most guys in Civics run D15s which are kinda crappy and well I can beat most stock D15's with my 4 cylinder so I'm pretty damn sure you can beat them if you run them. I say just run them periodically like once stock then after every upgrade.

Oh and if you actually put an exhaust on your car please don't get one that rattles. Haha If you get a Borla or something of that nature then people will take your car seriously and well it just adds to the class of owning a Passat as I think they're ment for luxury.

If you have any questions just hit me up.

right on. Yea, when I bought the car, it came with an exhaust, and an aftermarket intake. Getting a ceramic'd cai this weekend i think. (the previous ownwer was getting it ceramic'd when i bought the car). I will try the wires and plugs. What will that do to the car? just run more clean? My car is a vr6, and I do believe they make it with other engines. I am easily beating most other stock cars out there

Also, I have already found out about the cost of these things haha. And my door handles break sooo easy. Currently, the drivers door is the only door with both handles working. And the backseat only has one door that is openable from the outside, So i feel like a limo driver when i have ppl in the back. Another typical problem, well, more like a maintenance is my timing chains :( Makes my engine have a slapping sound to it, but still sounds mean.

I am debating on whether to fork out the cash and fix this car up nice, or get it healthy, sell it and buy a 'cheaper-to-maintain' and upgrade for college.

thnx for all the input

hey man what you can practice starting in first and holding the clutch down.rev to about 3000 rpms then when you go to take of all you have to do is find out how fast you can release off the clutch until you don't spin your back tires any more

thanks for the reply Nicen, I will probably try that when im out and about tomorrow, right now i launch at about 4-5, but i always burn out for a second. No bueno. But i do always just drop the clutch, maybe i should ease it out instead of all at once.

Yeah Nicen is right it's pretty much trial and error just try and get it in the sweet spot so you know when and where you need drop the clutch. I drop it at 4-5 grand too and well since my tires don't have that much tread on them they spin for a second then catch then I usally chirp 2nd well that was until I burned up my clutch trying to do a brake stall. Haha but yeah um changing the plugs and wires is to ensure that you have a proper burn. If your plugs are fouled up then it won't fire correctly leading to incomplete combustion. As for the wires it's just good measure because you can change your plugs but if you have a broken wire then it could misfire. I was in lab one day and my instructor tried to pull my plug wires off and ended up tearing the insulation on the outside of if I remember correctly the 4th cylinder wire and so I had a misfire. Well I got pissed off and changed the plugs not thinking to properly diagnose it and still had the misfire then I realized he screwed my crap up so I replaced them and what do you know it works fine. Haha but yeah it's all just basic maintenence to ensure you keep your car at it's peak.

Archived