Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

K2DAMFC

Going from Fire to Glow stix

5 posts in this topic

I've been spinnin for a little over a year. 13 months to be exact. My problem is that I went from learning the weave with glowstix straight to fire and learning all my moves with regular poi. I can only to like 2 different wraps, but wish to learn more but can't find some1 to show me anything. Any1 that I ask at parties are Dix about it. So I was hopin I could get some help from someone here. Please let me know.

watch some vids and see what combos are out there and just make your own unique style and just practice practice practice...

look around in the regional forum, maybe you can meet some people in your area. Learning directly from others is the best way.

This advice may not apply to you b/c I'm a freehander, but I'm going to offer it up anyways. Glowsticking (or in this case stringing) is a personal journey. Do what feels right and looks good to you. Who cares what anyone else thinks. Thats not to say though that you can't watch someone and take inspiration from them. Copy their move, but make it your own. For example, they do a cool looking arm wrap. Well, you can do a cool looking arm wrap too, but make it comfortable and intresting to you. How bout wrapping it from under you leg? Then, that could lead into a leg wrap and from there, who knows? (I'm not sure if you can do that though, I'm a freehander, so I don't know stringing physics).

But yeah, learn from others, but take what you learn and make it yours. The cool thing about sticking is that it's not difinitive. 2+2 does not have to equal four. If you want it to equal 6, do it. (Not sure if that's a good metaphor or not :) ) Overall, It's all you, all the way. Glowsticking is a journey. Why emulate when you can create and enjoy?

This advice may not apply to you b/c I'm a freehander, but I'm going to offer it up anyways. Glowsticking (or in this case stringing) is a personal journey. Do what feels right and looks good to you. Who cares what anyone else thinks. Thats not to say though that you can't watch someone and take inspiration from them. Copy their move, but make it your own. For example, they do a cool looking arm wrap. Well, you can do a cool looking arm wrap too, but make it comfortable and intresting to you. How bout wrapping it from under you leg? Then, that could lead into a leg wrap and from there, who knows? (I'm not sure if you can do that though, I'm a freehander, so I don't know stringing physics).

But yeah, learn from others, but take what you learn and make it yours. The cool thing about sticking is that it's not difinitive. 2+2 does not have to equal four. If you want it to equal 6, do it. (Not sure if that's a good metaphor or not :) ) Overall, It's all you, all the way. Glowsticking is a journey. Why emulate when you can create and enjoy?

Actually, that's some of the best advice I have heard (and keep on hearing).

In regards to the wraps, remember what a wrap is. You are hitting a part of your body with a string and allowing the glowstick to wrap (or in the usual case partially wrap) around it and then back off it. Now realize this, how many body parts do you have that could protrude outwards (and I am not talking about a certain part guys). Do you get where I am going with this? If not, it's simply that you can do a wrap on just about any part of your body. Foot, ankles, shins and calfs, knees, thighs, torso, upper arm, wrist, bicep, neck, head, and if you're crazy enough/have a big enough one, buttock. Practice, experiement. Figure out how you like getting into the wrap and getting out. Can you link one wrap to another? Can you do it while moving your arm (or arms) behind your back to get into it? Can you do it while jumping? How about laying down? Can you stop one string mid-move and wrap the other string around it?

That is the beautiful thing about wraps. Because they are so simple (in concept atleast), they allow you so much creativity. So I say, experiment, have fun, and enjoy.