Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sasquatch

Army

34 posts in this topic

Congratulations Sasqautch!

That's awesome man, I wish you the best of luck. Unfortunately I can't provide any info on Ft. Jackson, though I've heard it went both ways as far as difficulties are concerned. I'm sure it all depends on your Drill Sergeants. You'll do fine! :)

Wow you really deciphered my entire post huh.

Feeling abit combative???

I don't want to change the subject matter of Sasqautch's thread into a dispute between you and I, but I'll address the miscommunication we seem to be having. Im sorry if it seemed that I was being combative Freque. I didn't mean to come across that way. I'm a Virgo and we tend to be very anylitical, not to mention the military has made me a perfectionist so I wanted the information Sasqautch received to be as accurate as possible. I'm not in any way debating how things may or may not have been for the Army 7 years ago, I can only speak for todays Army. So again I apologize.

And if anyone has recieved a 5 star ranking its news to me. I joined in 1998 and at the time during reception and basic I was told it was never obtained by anyone. Granted this was during times of instruction where myself and everyone else were extremly deprived of sleep. I'm sure you know what thats like. So maybe I just registered the info incorrectly in my head. If I'm wrong though then so be it. I have no problem with admitting that I've made an error in some kind of way.

I'm not asking you to admit anything, it's not your fault if you were given wrong information!

Thats rediculous.

Are you saying that if you are willing to go into war without fear of death that is your defenition of "Patrotism?"

Thats closer to the word couragous or brave or just plain stupid.

And you may be in a pool of about a 10-15% of people that are'nt truely affraid to go to war.

If thats true. I wont challenge that cause there is no way I would know what you truely feel or think. Only you would and I dont put alot of stock into what people say on msg boards.

There are all kinds of patriots.

And everyone enters a combat situation in a different way. And many hide their fear.

Fear is'nt exactlly a bad thing. It keeps some people alive if used correctly.

I stand by my original statment but I may adjust it by saying that theres nothing wrong with Incorperating a sence of duty and bravery into being scared to go into combat or not.

Patriotism is far more than being unafraid to die for your country. You disrespect the idea it stands for by putting it in such simple context. I never said I was never afraid while over here, that would be comprimizing my integrity. I said that I wasn't afraid to die for my country, at the same time, I don't want to die...there is a difference. You are correct in meaning that fear is a powerful driving force though. There is no feeling more addicting in my opinion.

And while I'm on my opinion, I'll add that the lack of patriotism is going to one day be the downfall of this country.

Let me finish by saying that I am not here to prove anything to anyone. I know what I stand for, and I know the principles of my character. Whether or not you believe me is of no concern to me.

Well, times here.. I leave to the military quartered hotel for tonight and then Im off to basic tomorrow morning..

I just wanted to thank you guys again for so much helpful information. Im scared shitless and excited as hell at the same time right now. Hopefully I make it back in enough pieces 9 weeks from now to crack some ultras.

Hey good luck man, no shit!

i know you'll do fine as long as you push for what you want. im looking forward to calling you brother in arms ;)

Well, for an update to this, I am now a Soldier. I graduated BCT earlier today. Fun, rough, and tiring, but worth it so far. I have to report to AIT tomorrow. And hopefully I will be able to keep my laptop and such, seeing as I will be there for another 5 months before getting any leave.

you should. I had to go back to AIT about two years ago right when they started to make things easier and they were already letting people keep their cell phones and computers and ipods and all that other shit. I heard AIT was a joke now as long as you arent combat arms. Ive heard some really fucked up stories about how easy basic has become now too.

I also heard that they are getting rid of DI's in AIT and replacing them with just regular NCO's..

so yeah, dont worry about AIT.. The only hard part is learning your MOS.

Thank you everyone for posting any and all information. I have been debating whether to join the military, college, or both. You guys got me really thinking about this stuff. I can't wait to talk to a recruiter to get more personal information.

To Sasquatch - If you are able to keep ur laptop, PLEASE keep us updated on how things are going. I would love to hear it from someone that is currently going through it. :)

Well, Ive got both my laptops, my Ipod, and my cell phone with me right now, and I could also buy a PSP or DS system to play on (which will be half of my next pay check lol). And the barracks here has a computer lab where you can access the net for whatever you want. Ive got several DVDs and things like that. So.. Cakewalk right now.

We just finished inprocessing today. We start PT tomorrow. Hopefully it gets a bit tougher from tomorrow on.. This is a bit too easy.. It makes my mind uneasy trying to figure out what the Sergeants are planning (And yes, there are no Drills here. They pulled them like a year ago. So its just regular NCOs).

Oh, and you can buy all the energy drinks and fast food and junk that you want, as long as its nothing contraband. So yeah. Easy.

:lol:

Most of the initial training that the army does now is a joke.. I think they are making it eaiser every year.. I remember when I joined 5 years ago people were telling me it was way different 10 years before that.. Now im looking back and its gotten WAY easier then when I joined not even 5 years ago.. Before we could easily talk shit on the air force and even on some of the navy.... now Im not so sure we can :(

But I guess if they are having that hard of a time finding people they will do whatever they have too.

and yeah, I wouldnt trust any civilian other then my family to bring on post.. Most Posts are pretty much open (all you need is a Gov ID to get in) but some will make you vouch for them.

Either way, if they are with you and anything goes down they are going to pin it ALL on you..

Don't do it, that is all....if you are thinking of joining the military, join the Air Force....second would be the navy....best way to set yourself up for the future