Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jokur

Any tips on making music?

15 posts in this topic

Hi all, I was just wondering what I need to do, or what I need to start making my own music. I want to hopefully get some turntables and do some of that stuff. I used "Cool Edit 2000" in one of my multimedia classes, but I don't know if thats good enough. So, what are some good programs, and how do i get my resources for it? Like, bass tracks, and stuff. I have no clue at all what to do. Any tips, or any links to another forum, ANYTHING will help me. Thanks

Guest supraGlowString

well this topic belongs in the music section lol.. but ill give my 2 cents

well im a big fan of fl studio

ive downloaded and deleted the demo like 10 times lol

but if you get the full version its really crazy

you can make entire songs on it and more.. you can also chose the genra of the music

you wanna be makeing.

but its not chep.. there are manny difrent versions of it..

just depends how far you wanna go..

heres a link to the site fl studio web site

the prices start from $49 - $369 for the online download

and for the box package the prices start from $139 - $449

you can literly do anything you want on this, it even has a virtual turn table etc.. etc..

check it out, i hope that helps.. =]

I'm also a huge fan of Fruityloops studio. i highly recoment you try it out. i used to play with it alot and pumped out some really great songs ^^

Yea, I agree. FL Studio is the way to go I feel. I've been usin it for a while now. Although I won't lie, there are certain restrictions regarding the programs capabilities that would force me to seek out alternative programs, such as Reason 3.0, or Pro Tools.

But Image-Line ( The creators of FL Studio) have created a virtual DJ program as well. It can be used as a VST or as a stand alone. It's called Deckadance.

FL is a good place to start, but you'll find you need some more. Either way though, even with it's limitations, you can definitely get out some NICE tracks with it. Just have to learn how to just master the program.

I wish the best. :) Any questions, let me know.

Yea, I agree. FL Studio is the way to go I feel. I've been usin it for a while now. Although I won't lie, there are certain restrictions regarding the programs capabilities that would force me to seek out alternative programs, such as Reason 3.0, or Pro Tools.

But Image-Line ( The creators of FL Studio) have created a virtual DJ program as well. It can be used as a VST or as a stand alone. It's called Deckadance.

FL is a good place to start, but you'll find you need some more. Either way though, even with it's limitations, you can definitely get out some NICE tracks with it. Just have to learn how to just master the program.

Breakfast, one of the best trance producers out right now, STILL uses FL Studio for all of his tracks, including The Sunlight.

FL Studio isn't limited, you just need to find out what you can do with it.

Guest the_exception

Fuck laptop DJ's, that shit is nonsense.

If you wanna PRODUCE tracks, I suggest you start with Reason. It's much more powerful than fruityloops, and is a much better beginner program than fruityloops for when you're ready to advance beyond.

I loooove Reason! I have it on my mac and is pretty user friendly with tons of effect ideas. plus, many studios run off of Reason, and Pro Tools.

Breakfast, one of the best trance producers out right now, STILL uses FL Studio for all of his tracks, including The Sunlight.

FL Studio isn't limited, you just need to find out what you can do with it.

On the flip-side, Venetian Snares uses FLStudio for his Breakcore stuff.

FL Studio's probably the most flexable program I've ever used, I've made everything from cheesy Trance to really off-kilter Dark Ambient with the program, and I highly recomend it for producing.

(Bittorrent is your friend.=p)

Guest Duck

always, always, regardless of the computer you use or the program you use, back up your music in two different forms.

took losing two whole prospective albums for me to learn that.

Guest supraGlowString
Fuck laptop DJ's, that shit is nonsense.

If you wanna PRODUCE tracks, I suggest you start with Reason. It's much more powerful than fruityloops, and is a much better beginner program than fruityloops for when you're ready to advance beyond.

well... i dont agree on what your trying to say, boath programs are great. ive tryied boath of them. I say stick to fl studio. Get the demo of fl studio off there site and see how it is.

Guest Duck
well... i dont agree on what your trying to say, boath programs are great. ive tryied boath of them. I say stick to fl studio. Get the demo of fl studio off there site and see how it is.

the_exception's been making music for a while. and in ways he's right. FL Studio is better utilized with real instruments and tracks. Yes, you can make a whole song using just FL Studio. I've done it multiple times. but (just as one example) Pendulum uses a real mini-moog type synth, real guitars and bass guitars, and in most of their tracks, real drums too. However, a lot of the effects and miscellaneous instruments, samples, and vocal tweaking was done in FL Studio. It, just like a mixer, a turn table, a sample box, or a synth patch bay, is just another tool that enhances electronic music better than it creates it.

Reason is going to be a much more powerful program, though less newbie-friendly. It's harder to learn reason, because essentially, it's a really big software synthesizer. (Think Sytrus on steroids.)FL Studio can do A LOT, but most anything I've ever seen produced on FL Studio had a lot of other actual Studio production involved. It also requires a hell of a lot out of a computer to do anything not minimalistic, while Reason is a lot more computer friendly.

as for programs like Pro Tools and Ableton....well, they're great, and practically industry standard at this point, but once again, better used as an enhancer/addition, rather than using those programs as the entire setup for the music.

You know what ravers danced to way back in the day? Records of guys who used synth keyboards, and tb 303 and/or 909, or sequencers like them. and sample boxes. There wasn't a computer involved in the process. Now we've got every big name DJ in the world playing with two MacBook Pros attached to thousands of dollars of stereo equipment. Honestly, I prefer the older stuff. Why? because you can't do on a computer what you could do with a real analog keyboard. The power to create and manipulate your signals is lost somewhere in the miles of code that make up FL Studio, Pro Tools, Ableton, etc. Also, there's a ton of flavor lost, when you see the computer doing all the work for the DJ, so all he has to do is click, drag and drop, so he can spend the rest of his time waving his arms in the air. I just can't appreciate a musician of any sort who does that, DJ or not.

Guest supraGlowString

Duck, i see what your saying about the key bord hing. If i personally were to make music and be serious about it i would use an key bord too. Its easyer to jot down your ideas and stuff. But what i was trying to say is that fl studio is pretty powerfull. I think it really depends on the user.