Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cynicdave

The Soul of Glowsticking: Part II

136 posts in this topic

hey guys, just like to add if you need any tunes for the dvd i would be MORE than happy to help out. As i posted in another thread, i produce mostly drum n bass, but do have some trance and other weird stuff as well as ambient/experimental. SOME of my work is displayed on my myspace so u can check it out for yourself. http://myspace.com/yoshiexcel2

hit me up on AIM - YoshiExcel or PM me, and well see what we can do. cant wait for this dvd, sounds like its gonna be amazing!

yeah man sounds good =]

planning and organizing on 2008, working on it on 2009 and release on 2010 :o

have people actually been filming more at meetups? i know d86 has for the socal ones. we should make it a habit of just collecting more footage PERIOD.

Ive got gigs and gigs of unreleased raw footage well over 20 hours of stuff. Ill keep collecting. Ill make it a point to get NY when I head over there too in April.

quality matters too ;D we can't let a dvd look like 320x 180 video from a psp or something y'know =3 we need quality footage <3 which i'll be willing to contribute ;D

I save everything at 1 mbps instead of 512 kbps so the quality is extremely good.

alright that's pretty good.. now how bout a story or a timeline on how the dvd's gonna be

The DVD should start off with the various adds we have here or maybe even a new one. Maybe we should start to work on the music selection first then build around that.

but we can't just 'wing it' we'll have to be a bit more professional and stick to a finalized progression of events that's both visually aesthetic and engaging. we also want to bring about a point on our culture. an understanding for people not just a light show.

really feel so highly about this dvd.. gonna do what i can to contribute somehow..

*once i watch the dvd from freak deke i'll make a little review and make some suggestions on what we can do for the second one*

I offer my music to be used in the DVD.

My stuff is at www.myspace.com/DJBroly

It should be downloadable, if not let me know and i can give you a high quality version of any of my songs.

I wasn't able to see the first DvD but what would be really interesting is to hear a discussion about the different styles of different regions and countries for example talking about what moves are done more in one area as opposed to another, what differs the styles between Canada and the States stuff like that. It be interesting to hear I would think. :)

I second this. I watched the first DVD a few months ago and was quite impressed in seeing Dave actually travel to different areas of the US to capture footage of the different glowstickers in the different regions. But you never really got a feel for the background and distinctiveness of the regions. In fact, not one person interviewed ever discussed it. While I agree that interviews/commentary should be trimmed down for the 2nd one, I would hope that there would be more commentary from people talking about their respective regions, the way glowsticking and raves have evolved there, what moves and styles came from that area, and other things that will set their region apart from everyone else. This was never really done on the first one and I would love to see this idea play some sort of minor role for the second one.

There's one other idea I would like to add, although this one is a bit quirky. I noticed how in the beginning of the first one, there was an old black and white footage of a long row of glowsticks coming down an assembly line. I don't know if it would be feasible to do this, but I think it might actually be cool if there was a few minutes of footage which actually showed how glowsticks are made in the factory. Perhaps glowproducts might actually be nice enough to lend a "How-It-Works" video from their product line. There must be something they made that they show new employees or something. But yeah I know, kind of an "out there" idea. Just thought I'd put it out there.

i'll be conducting brief interviews at the coming april meetup in ny to submit to the dvd..

I second this. I watched the first DVD a few months ago and was quite impressed in seeing Dave actually travel to different areas of the US to capture footage of the different glowstickers in the different regions. But you never really got a feel for the background and distinctiveness of the regions. In fact, not one person interviewed ever discussed it. While I agree that interviews/commentary should be trimmed down for the 2nd one, I would hope that there would be more commentary from people talking about their respective regions, the way glowsticking and raves have evolved there, what moves and styles came from that area, and other things that will set their region apart from everyone else. This was never really done on the first one and I would love to see this idea play some sort of minor role for the second one.

do you feel that type of regionalism kind of work against our idea of unity??

I got a lot of footage from meet ups that I never released on purpose... yet everyone wants it.

Santa Monica Pier meet up,

Pre-MM meet up.

All filmed on my BIG camera.

So no worries guys I can actually get some really high quality footage for the meet up.

-RG

dam i would love to contribute my freehanding ect. but i have now way to record it and send it in and i have no way to go to meetups darnit srry ppl i wish i could

it's still a growing concept.. the dvd won't be available for another 2 years.. xD you got lots of time

we, east coast glowstickers, will make as much submissions as we can ;) we don't want the dvd to be west coast biased now right ;)