Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cynicdave

The Soul of Glowsticking: Part II

136 posts in this topic

As for the variability in user submitted stuff, why not ask for volunteers in each area to do ALL of the recording or taping for that area? That way the equipment is the same and so should the quality.

with some of the bigger areas, that would require a person with a very flexable schedule, time, and money for travel, just would be pretty hard for 1 person to move the equipment around

I've been trying to use my "sexy" camera around here for things. So we'll see. :)

If i go to hawaii I can't bring that one, I don't wanna risk that.

But as for Local things around here and some things in LA, where I can store it in my car its a SURE CAN DO!

-RG

im down to record footage from socal anywhere, or pictures, but im better with footage.

I wasn't able to see the first DvD but what would be really interesting is to hear a discussion about the different styles of different regions and countries for example talking about what moves are done more in one area as opposed to another, what differs the styles between Canada and the States stuff like that. It be interesting to hear I would think. :)

maybe who ever is recording in a certain region, give them specific instructions on how to record at raves/interviews/meetups/etc. that would make the flow of the video more consistent. oh and dont forget to mention that the person recording has to do it in a certain resolution and quality. then stated above, send the real copy to who ever is compiling the video. i think that would solve most issues with quality and such.

i too would like to see talent from other areas such as canada step up. and i would also like to see newer footage, i know this won't be easy and could take awhile, but if people were really dedicated, it would be even better than the first =) and you guys did a good job on the first.

I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with the interview segments from The Art of Glowsticking.

While I'm interested in what the community has to say and share, I would've expected it to be handled.. more professionally?

The fact that most of the interviews weren't handled with any sort of seriousness made the interviews seem like a joke.

maybe instead of just having the same questions asked to different people, on the spot, instead have some sort of presentation/message where someone really has something to say?

The entire dvd need to be dvd quality.

I know the last dvd it was important to show some older vids but some of it just looked terrible on tv.

edit: By the way, I thought the first dvd was amazing. I can believe it was pretty much done by 1(?) person

Guest wuxanaXan
Cant wait to see it, it would be cool to see the culture from the view point of someone just learning and progressively becoming more active. well now that ive typed it it sounds stupid... i unno

PS post 100 YAY 3 little blue bars, i feel bad ass.

i think mindless made a good point in that

we should get footage from someone who is just beginning to embrace the culture,

but thats just me

anyways, seeing as how it is "the soul of glowsticking"

i dont think that there should be any footage of anyone filming just themselves

that instead there should be footage from meetups and raves where there is mass communication between people, instead of just demonstrating whats new to the camera

as i believe the sould comes out more when we have fun with each other

than by ourselves in our bedrooms

:]

im not just rambling now am i?

The entire dvd need to be dvd quality.

I know the last dvd it was important to show some older vids but some of it just looked terrible on tv.

edit: By the way, I thought the first dvd was amazing. I can believe it was pretty much done by 1(?) person

well not everyone has the technology or programming / editing expertise to keep consistent a high def vid clip. so working with what is available for them or find somebody close or you can contact that can do it with you or for you.

Guest wuxanaXan

actually

i can only recall three clips in the dvd

that were actually bad

and madraverrai's part wasnt one of these

for the most part, i could actually see him pretty well

this DVD is pretty old now. A lot of the footage was collected 2 years before that.

HD camcorders weren't out. When i got my cancorder, firewire JUST came out.

To be able to finish the DVD, i had to upgrade my computer to (at the time) state of the art athlon 1800+ with an unheard of 2 gigs of ram at the time. I had to buy a 300 gig hardrive, which was the biggest they had back then. I had to buy a dual layer DVD writer for almost 200 bucks because those were just coming out.

And I work professionally in the industry, so please, cut me some slack haha =)

(takes note of RG's current camera)

Whoadamn RG. And here I was thinking of stepping up to an itty-bitty HV20...

With regards to the DVD, how about a more in-depth exploration of the history of the movement? It wouldn't have to be the entire DVD, just a small History-channel like documentary on the evolution of glowsticking culture in general (and possibly GS.C).

Possible stuff for inclusion (pending obtainance of music usage rights):

Significant early vids - Yosho, Funhaus, etc. (but LABELED as significant - I know the Palace of Fine Arts was in Freehand in the first DVD, but non-GS.C members probably wouldn't realize its significance)

History of GS.C - V1 onwards, + siginificant moments

History of the rave scene, origins onward - Better Living Through Circuitry is bordering on 10 years old now...

Development of each scene (Norcal, Socal, Chicago, NYC, etc.)

New beginnings - emergence of new / lesser known areas (Midwest, Florida, NOVA, etc.)

Explanation of the GS.C philosophy, development - sort of like a video runthrough of the articles section, in a slightly more palatable format

THANKS FOR THE GLOW - one of EC's first (if not the first) ultra circles.

More to come.

Cant wait to get my hands on this

how can someone submit footage for the dvd?

Save it until Dave asks for it I guess, then give it to him.

this is still a concept in the making right?

mhmm music we should use... mhmm how bout mixes from rai or romances?

I think the music used would have to be royalty free though, so Im not sure that could happen.

dj's and producers are different things.

but i heard rai's dj friend tom colontonio (who's really high up in the trance production/ dj-ing scene apparently) is establishing stronger ties with gsc. maybe we can ask him how to find royalty-free music.

Archive.org has many royalty free or creative commons tracks. Check creative commons itself to find more that specifically can be commercially used.

Just what I thought of right away when I saw "look for royalty free music."

mhmm good call on that one. if we actually find some good tracks on there for the dvd then we can put this dvd in motion