Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cynicdave

The Soul of Glowsticking: Part II

136 posts in this topic

haha me and rich and the phx peeps are gonna have to get on filming, az needs to be a part of this!!!

haha me and rich and the phx peeps are gonna have to get on filming, az needs to be a part of this!!!

Yessir!

The kiddies from PHX I know will be down.

i know this is far off, but how about a "round table" discussion as a special feature? get some of the more respected members of the community in the same room and just film them talking about the scene, the culture and the art or whatever they end up talking about. it's early, but something like this would require at least a little planning for the logistics of it.

Guest Duck

that could be taken the wrong way. but done right, i could see it being a cool extra feature.

i would definitly love to participate, lots of edc footage in this hopefully and i will be there for edc 2008 with my camera and all smiles!!!!

about audio quality during interviews, is it too hard to add in subtitles?

maybe focus the interviews more about the culture, why glowsticking in high schools/ battling are against rave ideals, rather than "when did you start".

gs.c divas! lol, just a thought...

yeah, I gotta agree with easy... we need higher quality footage... maybe after each glowsticker releases a vid in the media center or so, they should send dave like the original file, if not a higher quality of the vid.

This is why you have to buy the DVD!!

hahaha u guys are crazy

edit: gotta add the cool shades 8)

about audio quality during interviews, is it too hard to add in subtitles?

Subtitles rely very heavily on timing and frames, so it's not all that hard, just a lot of work.

Guest Duck

I really think we should just have people record a quick intro and some discussion about who they are, when they started, glowsticking culture, etc. and slap that on as "audio commentary" over whatever section of video they might have done/been a part of, and just have the regular footage/music volume lower, and make the audio for the commentary fairly high in quality and in volume, so that you can actually hear what people are saying without having to turn your TV volume up and down over the course of the DVD. then we can just skip the interview sections, or perhaps, have fewer interviews/shoutouts on the normal footage.

though, subtitles might be good to do on top of that.

One thing that I remember when the first DVD came out that a lot of people were a bit upset with how the interview sections went. They were either broken up in weird segments or the audio on them was lacking to say the least. I think that if we were to do another DVD with interviews in it, this would be one thing that we could work on.

interviews are tough, especially with user submitted content. not everyone has a high quality mic, so the voice quality will be low/varied.

even with miniDV camcorders, since they are made to be compact, the audio quality can sometimes be lacking... especially when there's outside noise. (see chicago meetup section interviews).

although interview footage provides good personal touch to the DVD, i think it would provide slicker production if we use text-on-screen quotes. unless we can drastically improve the interview footage quality, i see text-on-screen quotes can be presents with more impact because it'll be quicker and easier to understand.

i also thought the interviews broke the flow of the DVD alot (to a DVD that's already very lengthy), because the music had to stop. with text on screen the music can keep playing.

I don't know about how long the shout out section should be. As much as I loved hearing from fellow gs.cers, I don't know if we should do this again, and if we do, if we should take such a long time out of our DVD to do it. It's nice, but it's just a little long.

Guest Duck

that's why we should have people record audio shoutouts/intros/commentary/interviews/etc. to play as an "audio commentary" extra feature over their videos. sure, the audio may not be great, however, even on a really crappy mic, some sort of mastering can be done (hell, I'LL master people's audio commentary, i'd just need the uncompressed audio file.) that way, it's not perfect, but you'll at least be able to hear it. that'll remove the shoutout section, and the interview section as well, so the DVD is less broken up.

I feel like text-on-screen would be hard to do well, simply by virtue that it's visually distracting from the video content of the DVD, and unless it was tied into the production, like the text you see in various videos on the site, which are usually short, concise bits, not nearly enough to encompass the stuff we'll be putting on the DVD.

I think optional commentary would be the way to go. That would also potentially help a lot with instruction. Also, a far off release date would definitely allow people to get their act together so they could record their voice cleanly.

Optional Commentary Part One: Done by those respectable people of gs.c making good comments and talking about the DVD, gs.c, and the culture that's behind all of this.

Optional Commentary Part Two: Put a group of us in a room, and let us have a microphone and see what happens. We'll try to keep it PG-13. It'll be like an AIM chat, but in person, and minus the people complaining about having to do homework like me. 8-}

Guest Duck

or, you could just have those alternate, depending on who's involved in the footage.

Guest Duck

depends on what you're referring to. not everybody can do audio commentary, but then again, i guess the entire DVD doesn't need commentary. getting the commentary together would be hard, but i guess you could say "please submit audio-only commentary with your video, unless you absolutely cannot."

as far as programming the commentary into the extra features, yeah, it's probably difficult, but you got the first DVD done, right? Can't be too much extra work.

thanks for the helpful hints and suggestions.

remember the first DVD was meant to be a primer on glowsticking in general. the culture, etc. the second dvd won't need that and won't need so many interviews from everyone etc. that means more time will be available for some kind of commentary.

I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with the interview segments from The Art of Glowsticking.

While I'm interested in what the community has to say and share, I would've expected it to be handled.. more professionally?

The fact that most of the interviews weren't handled with any sort of seriousness made the interviews seem like a joke.

---

Quality videos and photos make for a nice video too. While the content in the DvD was amazing, the lack of quality in some of the clips made them feel like they were a chore to watch.

I would aim for making the main feature to have the high quality and professional looking footage with the lower quality clips at the end or in an extras portion of the video.

---

Aside from that, I loved the first DvD and the thought of a second makes me want to squeal like a little girl. And I imagine that you, Dave, are still dabbing into the video creation thing.

For a first time around, I think you did an excellent job. Just by making this topic it's obvious you want to be able to create a sequel that will exceed to everyone's highest expectations.

Good luck.