Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jaimison

LoveFest and Bootcamp

40 posts in this topic

My dad is retired active duty -- and hates the military, he's burning his uniforms after he gets his disability rating.

Did you at least get them to guarantee you a specialty, IN LEGAL WRITING, before you signed? Or are you going grunt?

I've only signed my DEP contract, I haven't signed anything else yet, since the recruit station won't be open Sunday, Monday is when I see it and sign. Part of the incentive of going in a months sooner is that the job is guaranteed (without need to qualify as far as shooting or swimming etc.)

And bueno, I think that just depends on a lot of things and it's just easy to blame the military for it. As far as your active duty friends, either their recruiter lied and/or they didn't look into their job much, or read their contract completely. What branches? And reserves, what you said just makes my statement seem more true (in my eyes). Like my recruiter tells all his recruits "First and foremost, you have to want to be a Marine. Bonuses, jobs, and college funds come second."

And I want to be a Marine.

Good Luck James. I'll miss you.

I'm really gonna go to that meet-up when you come back.

You're leaving sooner? No lovefest?? =(

It's ok, as long as you're doing something you really want then that's what matters. We will see you for TAO atleast right?

You're leaving sooner? No lovefest?? =(

It's ok, as long as you're doing something you really want then that's what matters. We will see you for TAO atleast right?

Definitely man, and Ravergirl volunteered (and I volunteered Patrick) to coordinate a meetup the week I get leave so... you're going to that haha.

I've only signed my DEP contract, I haven't signed anything else yet, since the recruit station won't be open Sunday, Monday is when I see it and sign. Part of the incentive of going in a months sooner is that the job is guaranteed (without need to qualify as far as shooting or swimming etc.)

And bueno, I think that just depends on a lot of things and it's just easy to blame the military for it. As far as your active duty friends, either their recruiter lied and/or they didn't look into their job much, or read their contract completely. What branches? And reserves, what you said just makes my statement seem more true (in my eyes). Like my recruiter tells all his recruits "First and foremost, you have to want to be a Marine. Bonuses, jobs, and college funds come second."

Make sure you have EXACTLY what you want IN WRITING - SIGNED and APPROVED. I've heard of tons of people who didn't get what the recruiter promised them because they didn't ever get it signed.

Only way I'm going into the military is if I get into med school + they pay for it. Seen so many bad things about it so far...

My Father is Navy, so I've had all the lectures about recruiters and stuff. So I'll read everything, part of the incentive to leave earlier than my ship date (oct 15th) is knowing exactly where I'll be stationed/guarding. So it is Security Force (SWAT type) MOS and it's, not sure how to word it.. it has to do with presidential emergencies. Like if somehow the white house was taken over, I'd be in the fast team. So it won't be like I'm a security force for an embassy in Iraq or something like that. And I will read it and make sure everything is there. I have a feeling they might try the guilt trip if it isn't what I want, that I'm supposed to leave in a day (I'll be looking at the contract on Monday) and I'll have waisted there time. But if it comes down to that, oh well haha.

In all honesty though, I wouldn't mind infantry or Iraq, this MOS is more to comfort my family. If in 2 years I want to move over to Infantry I will, I'll already have SOI training and special weapons and tactics training, which is pretty much what they are doing over there now.

I appreciate the concern very much. :D

Just because its in your contract that they will send you doesnt mean that you will pass. Once you fail out they are the ones who get to decide what you do.

One of the people in my unit was a prior service marine who got dropped from that same school your going to and he went grunt after that. I dont have any statistics but from what ive heard its a hard school to get through. Im not trying to lecture you but even if its your contract it doesnt necessarily mean you are going to get it.

And bueno, I think that just depends on a lot of things and it's just easy to blame the military for it.

If you are stuck in a job you dont like that makes decisions for you its hard not to blame it.

As far as your active duty friends, either their recruiter lied and/or they didn't look into their job much, or read their contract completely.

you can only look in to a job so much. You are not going to realize many things until you are already in the situation and its too late. Ive known people who went in to go and defend their country and ended up nearly going AWOL because of what they had been through.

I have known people who have gotten "stop lost" and forced into staying in even after their 8 years has been up. I have known people who have been put into some really bad situations (outside of war) that they had no option in. Im personally getting screwed over myself right now but I dont really want to get into that. There are tons of people out thre who hate the military just because it didnt turn out to be a good match for them.

Im not trying to make it sound like this is the norm but there are certainly people out there who have really bad times once they join. There are also a lot people out there who love being in the military.

Like my recruiter tells all his recruits "First and foremost, you have to want to be a Marine. Bonuses, jobs, and college funds come second."

Thats great. I wish all recruiters where like that. It just seems that every one Ive ever heard makes bonuses and college funds and all that other shit their major selling point.

I can respect everything and understand all that you've said. And I'm not denying any of it. I'm sure it's true. And don't think that I have any bad feelings towards you, you're just looking out for family. :gsc:

I just have this feeling that I'll like whatever I do, because I want to be a Marine, plain and simple.

A grunt, I wouldn't mind, part of me wants to.

Iraq, part of me wants to.

I just want to be [insert and cheesy patriotic line here]. lol and really.

I'm not saying there won't be things I won't like, I give up a some of my freedoms, and I understand that. I am also scared of bootcamp, lol, I don't like being yelled at. I like being told what to do, but not yelled at, so that should be a not so pleasant experience, but I'll persevere.

There's only so many times I can say it lol. I want to be a Marine!

:D

Ill be at that meetup whenever it is James. ......

"so jaimison, what's your real name?" lol

jaimison,

i dont know when you'll get to read this and i know i talked to you yesterday, but i never really got to say what i REALLY wanted to say. you will always be in my prayers and in my thoughts until you get back to your family *and this one* i know for a fact we will see eachother again, i'm not worried about that at all. just please be careful man you mean so much to everyone, and so much to me *i swear im not gay* you and i clicked so damn well at EDC it's ridiculous, i've never sessioned with someone so long performing like i did that night. you mean ALOT to this community, and we will always love you and support whatever decision you make. please take care of yourself, besides, you and i still have promises to keep to eachother =')

Make sure you have EXACTLY what you want IN WRITING - SIGNED and APPROVED. I've heard of tons of people who didn't get what the recruiter promised them because they didn't ever get it signed.

Only way I'm going into the military is if I get into med school + they pay for it. Seen so many bad things about it so far...

it depends. for me since im already in the medical field for the navy i have many options to choose from if you want to know more just ask me and ill try to help you out as much as possible

Good luck in boot camp soon to be Recruit, best advice I can give is enjoy your time with friends and family before you go. They will get you into shape when you get there trust me. Just remember when you're there to stay positive and push on knowing that thousands of Marines have been where you are.

Semper Fi,

Cpl Warshauer -USMC