Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DundasRaver

The essential "how do you hold your strings" thread.

22 posts in this topic

Post how you hold your strings, how you tie them, etc etc. Do you use single laces, or lanyards? It's all about preference here.

I use a regular shoelace folded halfway, then tied into a loop which goes between my middle and ring finger, and loops around my finger. I'll get a diagram of it up later if it's wanted.

I tie a loop with single laces and put my 4/5 fingers in the loop. If I want longer string I put it through me 3/4 fingers. Then I can wrap it around my 3 finger to make it shorter, or just once around my 2 (index) finger.

45" strings. Go through glowstick and tie together in the middle. Then I just hang the glowstick between my pointer finger and my middle finger. At this point I'm holding a loop, and if I dropped it, it would fall to the groud. I then just bring the loop I'm holding over my pointer, put the glowstick through the loop, and pull the glowstick. :-)

It's easy and fast.

I loop the string through the hole. The the bottom of the string to the stick, Make a slipknot to rest my fingers in. And that's pretty much it.

36 Inch, white shoelaces. A bit shorter than what most people seem to be using nowadays. But perfect for handles.

I just wrap the hell out of these long shoelaces till their the same length(i stand on the sticks), haha, mabey I should develop a method

Call me strange.. but i use 36" round white

cut them in half and burn/pinch the frayed end

I use double ended style glowstrings. makes for nice handles.

both loop through the glowstick and tied into a noose.

Making new LED sticks for the gothic dark-wave kids that go to my club.

Green or red $2 LED plastic poxy'd onto the end of a cut opened chemical LED. I make the plastic Apoxy drip down the shaft of the glowstick to give it a black bleeding feel over an intense green or red sticks.

As for me.. ULTRA'S BITCH!

^^^HUH??! haha whatever.

I used to do it like stinko, (which I've stopped because I was making my ring finger raw for some reason)....

NOW, I use a single shoelace, which I measure to my shoulder, sometimes with a glowstick, sometimes without. Knot one side, thread the glowstick, and either put a good sized bead on the string, or knot the string where I will be holding it a couple times, then I put the 'handle'(knot or bead) in between my ring and middle finger, palm side, and wrap the string around my hand pinky side, and pinch it between thumb and forefinger.

I loop a 52" (I think, I haven't changed or checked my strings in months so I don't even remember) through the stick hole and tie 2 knots tightly around it; then I tie the remaining ends together in a knot as close to the tips of the strings as possible ( like, the plastic tips are barely peaking out of each end of the knot). The I just stick my middle finger in the loop, with the knotted end sitting on the backhand side of my finger. This allows more comfort and flexibility in the way of doing one handed stuff, as the strings will come off my hands easier (which can also be a bad thing if I'm doing long string moves and forget to pinch tightly so the strings won't fly off, but whatever, that's my problem to deal with :P). From there I just wrap it around my hand for string reduction in any way I see fit.

I generally leave the strings the length they are in the end result when I'm doing link catches for string manips and such; I'd wrap it around my middle and index finger once then pinch (index and thumb) to do wraps so the strings won't be too long or too short to deal with, and it won't be awkward; from there I'd just wrap it around the rest of my 4 fingers (usually about 2 or so more wraps) to wrap the stick up in my hand for freehand or whatever else I choose to do with the sticks in my hands.

here's how it looks when I hold them.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

normally i tye my strings the way stinkowitz does but if my tying depends on the amount of lace i have long i wrap around my wrist then i wrap in the palm

My way is pretty basick. 100cm long string bent in half to make a double 50cm string

-Tie ends togather

-Put index finger through strings

-Wrap once or twice around my index and middle finger so the tring come out between my thumb and index finger. And that's it. It works good if you like to switch from freehand to stringing.

I use regular 45" flat shoelaces... all I do is put the string through the hole then even it out so then you get a double layer lace... afterwards, make a knot at the top and loop it though your finger...

I use a cord about 2x the size of my forearm. Then wrap thread it through the glowstick a certain way, and take the 2 ends, put them through a big bead, and use a smaller bead to tie them off. Colorado Style represent . The bead is a nice place to hold them =)

Dundas, that looks like mad work, lol. esp. when you stuck the stick through the middle. :P

i'll put in a quick diagram soon, i gotta pack for maryland

EDIT:IPB Image

The only string setting I've ever used. Custom cut length so I don't know how long it is. You loop it on your index finger once, then wrap twice around middle and index finger, then if you want to go into free hand you can wrap it around your hand once and a half. Works perfect for me.

IPB Image