Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stepfr33k

NOVA Thread !NEW!

900 posts in this topic

Well....

Reasons why we can't do it this weekend:

-None.

Reasons why it'd be better next weekend:

-We (as in Me, Scott, And Danny) don't have any good sticks (none of us have hi's or ultras, only a few pairs of illumix LEDs we practice with, and the nearest sticks we can get are at Party City. standard 8 hour.)

-The NY guys could come down if they wanted, since it's more notice and time for them to see if they can or not.

-More NOVA people might be free.

-We'd all be just a little bit better at glowsticking XP.

Anyway

I really shouldn't be just inviting people to Scott's house XP

We'll wait and see what he wants to do.

Yeah you guys should!

I can't be there though. (Maybe if it's like an AM meetup but that's doubtful)

I have a wedding I have to go to.

Is it for the whole weekend? We can shedule our event around it.

i'm down for it any weekend. after 8:30 on saturdays, any time on sunday and probly friday night too. so whatever works for everyone else. i can probly use my garage or my basement (basements probably better actually) and yeah i just need a certain converter and i can hook up ipods to my big speakers down thur. plus i have blacklights and strobes if desired :D.

i'm down for it any weekend. after 8:30 on saturdays, any time on sunday and probly friday night too. so whatever works for everyone else. i can probly use my garage or my basement (basements probably better actually) and yeah i just need a certain converter and i can hook up ipods to my big speakers down thur. plus i have blacklights and strobes if desired :D.

Definitely not this weekend. I have a job interview on Saturday, and Friday I will be out of town. I am down if the event is planned ahead by at least a week.

8 hour sticks aren't bad. They last longer for the money. And can you use CD's? If not, I can accept songs to add to a play list on my iPod.

cd's will probly work, im gonna talk to my dad and see what he can hook up. i might use an ipod tape thing to play ipods through my stereo and hook the BIG speakers up to the stereo, enabling ipods and cds...so i spose thats what ill do!!!!!

So let's see:

This weekend - ticktock and stepf33k can't come

Next weekend - anyone going to AUSA can't come

24th & 25th - I can't come in the evening, but if it's like an AM/ Noon thing, I can

Best bet for the collective is probably 24th or 25th, if not the weekend after that.

It's up to you guys though =] I know we're down whenever you guys feel like meeting up.

So let's see:

This weekend - ticktock and stepf33k can't come

Next weekend - anyone going to AUSA can't come

24th & 25th - I can't come in the evening, but if it's like an AM/ Noon thing, I can

Best bet for the collective is probably 24th or 25th, if not the weekend after that.

It's up to you guys though =] I know we're down whenever you guys feel like meeting up.

We could start the meetup during the day of November 24th, then carry it on into the night. That way everyone gets at least a little piece of the meetup.

no good, gott work during daytime till 8 that day.. but i could try to get out of it i spose

no good, gott work during daytime till 8 that day.. but i could try to get out of it i spose

Can you request that day off? Especially because you could ask to have it off a few weeks in advance.

Wow, just a few hours and this thread exploded. I spoke with Audrey about this. We can't have it in her house because there isn't enough room if everyone is going to stick, and we can't have it in my garage because the crap that's in there can't be moved. Sorry.

I work saturdays until 4PM so this weekend is short notice, and I'm already taking next saturday off for AUSA. Any other saturday night would be perfect for me.

I know Devin knows the whole situation, but does Mike know? He's the only GSC guy in Reston with a car, excluding Fr33k.

And goddamn it'll awesome to see some new NOVA people!

24th and 25th is definately a no-go...thats Thanksgiving weekend XD

I think the best plan would be for the week after that...it is PLENTY of notice for anybody who has a job (who is the majority of us) annndd glowstickers who are further away (NY) =)

Also, this gives us more time to spread the word and plan adequately. The journey between Sterling in Falls Church isnt just like 20 minutes away, thus we'd have to figure out whos driving and what cars etc. That would be an issue the NY glowstickers would have to consider as well.

Sooo, I say the week after thanksgiving weekend.

I work Fridays 3:30-8:00 pm, off Saturday, and Sunday 8 am-4:30 pm. So, I could take off and not worry about waking up early, or arriving late. Annddd, all of you other folks could take off work as well =)

so, does that weekend sound better for everyone? (Friday Nov. 30 and Saturday Dec. 1)

I actually have Saturday school in the morning that Saturday, but I don't mind lackage of sleep, its sorta the way I live my life :P

get back to me all, peace.

P.S

I realize we've all jumped on our idea of meeting up, but I forgot to ask hyperion, lifestream and ticktock: how did you come to glowstick? We all know each other really well, and it'd be cool if you could tell us a little about yourselves so we can get to know you, too! =)

;D It's nice to see so many new people!

You guys know that I'm always up for a meetup whenever during the weekends. Although...my work hours are kinda crazy and sometimes I work everyday during the weekend, or not at all.

Annnnndddd on Tuesday I got my liscense! Since I have a car, and my REAL liscense now (not the PDL-90 anymore ;P) I can give people rides if they need them, I just need good directions. xD

I am definitely up for having a meetup sometime after Thanksgiving. I will talk to a few other people who don't come on here much to see if they're up for it too (Raya, Zero, Angelwing) because I'm sure they'd love to meet you all as well ;D

About a pre-AUSA meetup: Are we trying to do something this weekend? I can't do anything today, but I may be availible for doing something tomorrow night. I am still talking to DPan to see if he can come down to AUSA next weekend, and I am not sure if Tavas is planning on coming down with him.

Soooo if any of you have any questions, concerns, or just want to talk or something you can hit me up on AIM, or give me a call. ;D

Cell: 703.489.2203

AIM: MoonSparklePrnoQ

I also vote for the weekend after Thanksgiving. It gives plenty of time for preparation (ordering sticks!!!). I am down for driving people, hopefully that doesn't get too spread out.

Yes, if you are new please post a bit on how you started and how you found GS.C.

As far as people from out of State this may be a little difficult. I am still interested in planning a much larger event for many others from the EC. If anyone from places like NY have any tips as to hosting please send me some info. I will look into more locations we can rent, as well as a dinner type thing so we can all get to know each other.

What about renting a room at a gym or community center? We could all pitch in some cash and get it for a few hours pretty cheap. Assuming they do that, RCC would be perfect.

I don't know how much the RCC Charges, and if they will allow stringing. The space would have to be a side room (not sure how loud the volume can be on music) or the main room (very large space, most likely pretty expensive to rent). How ever, RCC isn't the only place it can be held. Let's keep looking for more space and prices.

Well we kinda all got into glowsticking at different times, but it's only recently we've taken it seriously.

My Individual:

I've been to some parties with my brother where glowstickers were dancing, and I always found it really cool. A cousin of mine also taught me figure eights and some other basic stuff at his house last year too.

But recently, my musical taste shifted from progressive rock and experimental electronica and 8 bit, to electro, then house, and eventually trance and a lot of other genres of electronic music.

The Collective:

Me and Hyperion started to get really into electronic music, so much so that he even makes it on his synthesizer on occasion. From there it was just research to understand the background of the music we had come to appreciate. We came cross a lot of videos of raves and noticed glowstickers in the crowd, so we figured "hey that looks pretty sick and it looks like they're having fun. why don't we express what we feel from the music in the same way?".

I have just described Early October 2007, basically.

With that, we have small parties where we all hang out and have a good time, blasting whatever music we like. I also had a job at CVS Pharmacy around the same time, and due to the coming Halloween season we were stocked up the ass with glowsticks. Thinking it was a good idea, we bought twenty and fooled around with them in Scott's basement (We could all figure 8, but that was our only knowledge of technical freehanding at the time. I also clipped two together in each hand and spun them around until they flew off and hit the wall behind me.)

After this, we were into it, with no knowledge of the culture, with a vague idea of what PLUR was. It was just fun, so we kept doing it!

Example: http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=...ideoid=20817131

I joined GXG.com (GS.C Intimidated me a bit too much at the time :lol:), talked a little to people to find out what they did, why they did it, all that kind of stuff, just to get an idea of the background. I learned to stomach trace and some other basic moves, then taught Scott them in our Applied Technology Class (I realize now why I shouldn't bring sticks to school, but that class is a 12 person class, composed almost entirely of close friends). Following second period, where we talked a little about it and tried out some new things, I went to Computer Math class with Danny(ticktock), and somehow we got on the topic of glowsticking. I showed him some things, like eights, which he picked up incredibly fast, and by the end of class, he could stomach trace.

With the three of us into it, it became a bit of a weekend ritual. Me and Scott were dancing in Scott's basement whenever we had time in front of about 8 close friends, Danny was practicing with Hi-Lighters at Olive Garden whenever he had a chance. About ten days later, I had joined up here and posted my first video. It wasn't until posting my first video I realized that I needed more background on the culture.

Example: http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=...ideoid=21199245

I read...probably every important thread about culture, every sticky I could. I watched Ginseng, Spazzman, and Dave's videos (sickness by the way) and got a handle on the site soon. I think it's only this week I've told Danny and Scott to join GS.C and find out what the culture behind the dance is about, since I think that it's really a great thing.

In all, the culture has become something I embrace, and freehanding is something I love to do. I feel I get a little bit better every day, and I have a stupid smile on my face while I'm freehanding because I have so much fun doing it.

That's how we came to glowstick =]

Very nice lifestream. You have no idea how great it is to hear that you and your friends actually read the stickies on the culture. It's both obnoxious and frustrating when people post up here talking about battling and the like, obviously not taking the time to know what he or she is getting into. Props to you.

Step: I know RCC isn't the only place but it was the first thing that came to mind and, from what I know, the most convenient for you guys. Since the majority of our stickers are in Reston I just thought it would be easier if it was there. We should probably shop around for the best deal and location, but if we do decide to go with the RCC, Anya works there so she might be able to pull some strings.

Anya = the awesome!

My vote is for Nov. 24th. I want to order some ultras for the meet-up and I also need to request off work 2 weeks in advance, so hell yeah. Let's do it to it!