Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BaTMaN

STAFF SECTION ON GS.c???

STAFFS and or JUGGLING (contact, spinning, etc.) Section(s) on Gs.c  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a staff section on Gs.c??

• Yes, staffs would be an awesome addition to Gs.c.
    • No, staffs have nothing to do with glowsticking.
    • Maybe, if someone made a interchangeable glowstick staff.
    • Yes, I would love to see a section with the combination of juggling and staff on Gs.c!!
  2. 2. Would you like to see a juggling section on Gs.c??

• Yes, juggling would be an awesome addition to Gs.c.
    • No, juggling has nothing to do with glowsticking.
    • Yes, I would love to see a section with the combination of juggling and staff on Gs.c!!

35 posts in this topic

So, I was just screwing around, surfing, when I happened across this

and this:

Anyway, I looked a bunch of stuff up, and even though I've never even played around with a staff that much, got the idea for a glow staff... yes a staff that completely lit up on its entire body would be awesome. but, IMO un practical. However, using the fire staff concept; if someone were to make a staff that had clip(s) on each end(obviously durable, and strong) where glowsticks could snap in place, then you could take them to (some) parties, and it would be tons of fun!! I just wanted to know what everyone else thinks...

also, I would personally like to learn juggling. maybe a staff-juggling combo section? or two seperate sections?

IMO both of these would greatly increase freehand/ stringing skills... Just food for thought!

-BaTMaN

-P.S.- realize this is ultimately up to dave, and I haven't said anything to him about it, so don't get your hopes too high, without Dave's thoughts.

I think your getting ahead of yourself. you would need someone who knows what they are doing if you wanted anything like a tutorial done for it. you would also need enough people to be talking about it for it to deserve its own separate section.

you can't just make a new section and excpect it to take off on its own.

uhm, there already are glowstaffs on the market. From what I hear they break easily though. Aerotechs.

also, i've seen designs with clear tubing and glowsticks inside (the cheap way)

However, maybe if enough people on gs.c did staffing we'd open up a new section. For now, juggling fits under freehand glowsticking.

even if glowstaffs dont break, it sounds like it wouldnt appeal to many people. its like you dont have the freedom to move the glowsticks around like you would with freehand and stringing.

thats just my opinion, but try it go ahead it might be cool =].

See I beg to differ. If you had enough experience with it, I think the freedom would be unreal.

And I know juggling already has a big part of freehand, but I was thinking more along the lines of contact juggling and juggling with actual balls.

I was getting ahead of myself. Contact staff just excited me. I think that maybe there should be a sub-section, but that's just my opinion. Yeah, and we do need to have someone that actually practices these. somewhere to learn off of. Unless there was a group of people who wanted to do research, such as online, and learn through trial and error.

I designed and made a glowstaff over a year ago, but I never ended up using it so I just threw it in my closet and forgot about it. Heres my design ----

IPB Image

IPB Image

its really simple, just a glowstick-sized piece of pvc pipe with holes drilled in the ends. To attach the glowstick all you need to do is stick it into the end of the pvc pipe and fasten it in with a nut and bolt going through the hook. It works perfect, is very light and durable, and you can change the sticks in less than a minute. If anybody wants a video of it in action I can make one.

hope that helps

:dope

Heck yes! please, a vid. I was actually thinking of something similar, and would like to see it in action.

i think staffing looked really tight

that was cool what he did with his body

I do contact staff and doubles. If I had a camera I'd be happy to do some tutorials and the like.

And I can juggle 5 clubs pretty well. I COULD do some tuts for them if I had a camera.

But. Alas. I am a poor sucker and all my money goes into my toys. Not a camera. =D

I designed and made a glowstaff over a year ago, but I never ended up using it so I just threw it in my closet and forgot about it. Heres my design ----

IPB Image

IPB Image

its really simple, just a glowstick-sized piece of pvc pipe with holes drilled in the ends. To attach the glowstick all you need to do is stick it into the end of the pvc pipe and fasten it in with a nut and bolt going through the hook. It works perfect, is very light and durable, and you can change the sticks in less than a minute. If anybody wants a video of it in action I can make one.

hope that helps

:dope

nice... I had the same idea of how to set up staff to fit in w/ glowsticking...

I ordered 5 LED juggling balls from neonhusky I've been playing with, they are really cool, I can do 3 decently and stuff like claw catches/tennis/reverse cascae, and I can do 4 sorta, I would love to see some tutorials or talk with you about doing juggling in a I dunno, glowsticking environment because most of my juggling friends don't really think of it in that context

While I'd definately be up for a section devoted to glowstaffing, people are right, it just doesn't have enough popularity. As far as it is at the moment, I'd say it just belongs in "the others" section.

And now on to comments on that contact staff video. That was actually the first video I've ever seen of someone dancing with a staff other than myself, and I have to say, DAMN! That guy is insanely good. I've been staffing for a little over 5 years and I do a good portion of the moves he does, but he makes it look so damn good. And how he gets the staff to spin on different parts of his body I'm at a loss for. The wraps aren't a problem, those are simple (aside from continuously wrapping one body part), but those spins are insanely hard and he made it look like twirling a pencil. Either my staff just doesn't have the balance for it, or I'm just completely at a loss for how to make it keep spinning on a flat surface. After watching that vid I attempted it on several body parts, chest, head, arm, back...and I can get about one and a half spins out of it before it either loses momentum from the friction or balance takes it somewhere. The idea of using two staffs at one time was also new to me. I'd really like to know what his staffs are made of and how their balanced.

And since interest in it has risen again, I'm going to try to get a glowstaffing video out soon (hopefully within the week.) My only problem is deciding whether to make the vid using clips from the several hours of footage I've got or recording something new. Either way though it's going to look like crap compared to that guy. Oh well, maybe in another 5 or so years I'll be at that level.

yeah in my opinion, if conjuring, creating orbits, and all those OTHER photon dances are in THE OTHERS, than this should be, but im NOT saying its a bad idea, i would think it would be really cool to do. but i dont see many more things you could do with glowstaffs than you could with fire staffs, like how could you make it its own art? such as poi and glowstringing.

i think staffs would be a great addition. i know on homeofpoi.com they had a section just for staffs and it had a good turn out.

yeah, but i dont see how it would turn into glowsticking. like how it would become its own art, rather than fire staffing.

thats pretty cool, would that be considered glowsticking?

I wouldn't consider it glowsticking...

even though it's a great idea I wouldn't think the poi community would be too happy if they hear about this... but would it hurt to have glowstaff since there is already fire staff and contact staff?

i just want to know, does anyone have any ideas into pushing this into its own art? such as how the chicago glowstringers did, from poi to glowstringing. how could we get fire staff to glowstaffing?

BWAAA!! PHOT0N'S A NINJA!!!! WOOO!!

I have been wanting to try staff or glowstaff. but i wanted to add a little... flavor to it.

I know i would need to learn staff basics and intermediates before attempting this.

But adding strings the the ends of the staff. I thought about it and if it could be controlled, the flowers and antispin flowers would be NUTS.

This would not be a rave toy, deffinately outside where people wouldnt get in the way or hurt.

But it's just in the thought process right now, unless someone has already done it... probably :frown: i wanted to have an original idea.

BWAAA!! PHOT0N'S A NINJA!!!! WOOO!!

I have been wanting to try staff or glowstaff. but i wanted to add a little... flavor to it.

I know i would need to learn staff basics and intermediates before attempting this.

But adding strings the the ends of the staff. I thought about it and if it could be controlled, the flowers and antispin flowers would be NUTS.

This would not be a rave toy, deffinately outside where people wouldnt get in the way or hurt.

But it's just in the thought process right now, unless someone has already done it... probably :frown: i wanted to have an original idea.

three section staff.

i thought about that a lot haha

i havent learned any 3 section staff yet though =(

http://www.wle.com/products/w050.html