Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mature Lamb

Your view on younger GS.C members

106 posts in this topic

You have stated the positive elements of battling, but completely neglected the negative ones. Battling in general I suppose is alright, but shouldn't be involved in the rave scene.

There nothing to be achieved with a style that was made to defeat the other person that cant be achieved with simply sessioning and sharing ideas. That is why battling is a waste of time to me.

But why would someone HAVE to battle just to WIN..or DEFEAT someone else..

That's my point.

And battling is only as negative as you make it to be. It doesn't HAVE to be negative.. Just like you don't HAVE to battle just to WIN or DEFEAT someone else[Yes, there is a difference between a win and a defeat.]

I'm not going to argue or protest against your personal opinions.. I believe that the majority of the people who shun battling, only see the negative.. Which is a horrible way to look at something that can be so beneficial. Plain and simple.

Battling in general I suppose is alright, but shouldn't be involved in the rave scene.

That may be so, in which case I won't object to this statement. But, you can be a glowsticker and still be outside of the rave scene, as I am. I say this only on the interpretation that you meant that battling does not belong in the glowsticking scene in general. If my interpretation was wrong, I apologize. I do not wish to be argumentative or a pest of sorts, but unlike a lot of people here who shun it, give no logical reason in why they do so. I, on the other hand, do stand up for what I do believe is true, and therefor I am doing so. :] Not to be overzealous of course.

But why would someone HAVE to battle just to WIN..or DEFEAT someone else..

if you're battling then you are participating in a win/lose situation. if not, then it isn't battling at all. when you battle by definition you are fighting against something.

Well yes, that is quite apparent :P. But what I'm saying is why battle JUST to WIN.. Like.. Your motive to battle is just to win, not to improve, not to learn new stuff, not to do anything else but win.

See what I'm saying?

There's this whole train of thought in my head that I'm gonna try to make sense of right here:

When someone battles, it's a situation in which one person wins, and one person loses. Your argument is that someone could battle just to learn. This seems like a valid idea. I want to focus on two things: What happens later, and what happens instantaneously. Let's go chronologically.

If someone battles and loses, the loser has a risk of being hurt (mentally) and may achieve an overall feeling of shame or depression. I notice that this side may not apply to you (since you don't seem to care about winning or losing). HOWEVER, it may apply to some, and must therefore be taken into consideration.

You say battling is good to learn, right? Well, let's think of why you would want to learn. Obviously, to get better. Now, better is pretty general. Better than you are now? Better than your opponent? Better than who? Or what? Let's try taking the less nasty route. You're trying to simply improve upon yourself, right? Well, eventually, you will become pretty good, and develop a reputation as a notorious stringer/sticker. Others will start to look up to you. You develop status. But, this doesn't sound like the glowstringing I know, where everyone is equal, and just willing to share knowledge. Sure, some may be better, but with battling, it always comes off as an I-art-better-than-thou ending. Eventually, we will return to the Instantaneous Effect mentioned above. People will feel bad about themselves and will not want to continue stringing/sticking.

In conclusion, I believe battling has too much status, position, and worship-me-I-won kind of attitude. If you lose, you are nobody. If you win, you're somebody. That's definitely not GSC's attitude.

I agree with Cleric completely. If you just want to learn and grow, then session. Don't put status, ego, pride, and other stuff on the line with battling. I wouldn't want to glowstring if I knew that I would be compared to someone really good and humiliate myself because of that.

Man, I hope that makes sense.

...btw, words lol

see that is one of the main reasons why battling is frowned upon. the fact that it has to do with winning or losing. yes you can use it for other positive means you mentioned, but as what cleric already stated, such things can be achieved simply through sessioning. why battle when you can achieve the same positive goals without the negative attraction through sessioning? battling isn't simply just competing against each other either. as i said earlier you are "fighting" against something. it's a more agressive manner of competition. competing in general isn't frowned upon. it can be ok when it comes to other stuff, but battling is what we definately frown upon for it isn't something where two simply dance and a winner is decided at the end. it's more about getting at each other trying to prove to the crowd and themselves which is better. and when one thinks they did better than the other but the crowd picks the other, that's when things get ugly.

i think if this topic were to continue (about battling that is) it should continue in the "Why competitions are a good thing?" topic since that has the most relation to this tangent topic that's been recently discussed.

Guest Duck

i think if this topic were to continue (about battling that is) it should continue in the "Why competitions are a good thing?" topic since that has the most relation to this tangent topic that's been recently discussed.

yes, i agree. let's keep the typical gs.c discussions in the appropriate topics, and try to prevent turning threads like this into those same discussions.

I'm not a glowsticker by nature even tho I can do lots of your moves and find things to inspire me by Glowie vids. Nope, I do poi and love the fire experience. And I have seen a trend where older glowies makes a transition from reversed and fast, to forward and more speed orientated. I guess it's more about age that the love of the art and if you've been going nearly light speed in the younger days you'll find yourself old but not useless. I was 24 when I discovered poi and saw a video by the music of Outcast - Bombs over Bagdad, and I couldnt spin fast enought. Now I'm 30 and try to spin as slow as possible cause I love the control and mostly the patterns control gives. It's more the respect and love of the fire and ways to manipulate it. It does not mean that I'm any better or that the youngies are, or any less (some young spinners can kick my ass anytime), it's just a part of the individual evolution., and evolution needs both. And that tells you about how early we are in our endevour when I in my 30's am an oldtimer. :) It's the same evolution any metal band takes. Metallica, machinehead. But not Slayer, they kick ass forever!!!!

Well yes, that is quite apparent :P. But what I'm saying is why battle JUST to WIN.. Like.. Your motive to battle is just to win, not to improve, not to learn new stuff, not to do anything else but win.

See what I'm saying?

Then why not session with someone? You still see their moves, you still can have them critique you, why battle? Oh yeah, because you want to look better than someone, because you want to WIN against them OR DEFEAT them. (same thing)

What I love about younger members is their juicy brains and the fact that their style remains untainted.

When one of my novices approaches me at a rave and does a trick, asking if it looks good, occasionally they blow my mind. The younger members are our future and it is their perspectives on life that give them their styles so as the times change, so will styles. Hopefully with their help our culture and glow dancing arsenol will only get bigger and bigger.

Then why not session with someone? You still see their moves, you still can have them critique you, why battle? Oh yeah, because you want to look better than someone, because you want to WIN against them OR DEFEAT them. (same thing)

Please don't patronize me.. And don't assume things about me that you know nothing about. It's very impolite and disrespectful. Hmm.

Anyways.

Back on topic!

it's not that battling is a bad thing. but that battling with glowsticking is a bad thing. because it does NOT belong in the culture that glowsticking came from - the rave culture.

and since we are on glowsticking.com, in the GS.C culture section, we can assume that when someone simply mentions the issues with "battling," they are implying the issues with "battling with glowsticks."

Please don't patronize me.. And don't assume things about me that you know nothing about. It's very impolite and disrespectful. Hmm.

Anyways.

Back on topic!

Well, I can't believe nobody pointed this out, but why should we take your opinions into account, when you ruined your credibility by calling what you do "liquid pop". he's perhaps being patronizing because you are presupposing knowledge you do not have.

there's simply no way you've witnessed anything intense relating to battles. you've never seen fights break out, people get smacked in the face, or someone's girlfriend been made fun of. otherwise you wouldn't be here trying to argue something with people who have a lot more experience than you do.

an intensity in a battle is not something someone who called an entire funk styles movement "liquid pop" would have witnessed just yet. liquid pop is a guy's dance name. i met a member of the LPC before LPC disbanded, and he was very adamant that they were not doing liquid pop.

in a similar manner in which the people who started LPC get to correct any confusion about what the hell "liquid-pop" means, we at glowsticking.com who started a culture from scratch and is by far the largest international community also gets to define how our culture works and the reasoning behind it.

people who disagree can start their own site if they want to.

Anyways.

Back on topic!

So instead of defending your position, you respond with an adhom. Good job.

You STILL haven't explained why battling is a GOOD thing as opposed to sessioning, whereas several of us have now explained why battling is a BAD thing. Go read the story about a member's unborn CHILD being KILLED by battlers. Yeah.

Pray tell again, what is your goal in battling and how is it different from having a session with someone, observing someone, talking to someone, or both simply dancing in a circle, without "judges" or crowd applause crap?

Even hip-hop dancers are leaving battling. It's become a sold-out mediafest and they're returning to the roots of "ain't nobody the best BBoy." It's even WORSE when done with glowsticking, as it's completely contrary to the entire idea behind glowsticking. Not only do we look at PLUR in glowsticking, but there are MANY underlying principles of humility and personal expression, which become void with battling, where one shows off and sells out by doing "power moves" or what-have-you that will please a general crowd.

Anyways, let's see you argue instead of defending yourself with "you don't know me" "you don't get it". That's childish.

Well, I can't believe nobody pointed this out, but why should we take your opinions into account, when you ruined your credibility by calling what you do "liquid pop". he's perhaps being patronizing because you are presupposing knowledge you do not have.

there's simply no way you've witnessed anything intense relating to battles. you've never seen fights break out, people get smacked in the face, or someone's girlfriend been made fun of. otherwise you wouldn't be here trying to argue something with people who have a lot more experience than you do.

an intensity in a battle is not something someone who called an entire funk styles movement "liquid pop" would have witnessed just yet. liquid pop is a guy's dance name. i met a member of the LPC before LPC disbanded, and he was very adamant that they were not doing liquid pop.

in a similar manner in which the people who started LPC get to correct any confusion about what the hell "liquid-pop" means, we at glowsticking.com who started a culture from scratch and is by far the largest international community also gets to define how our culture works and the reasoning behind it.

people who disagree can start their own site if they want to.

How do you figure I ruined my credibility lol. You may not be familiar with the dance form, so you try to play it off as if it doesn't exist? Kind of shallow bro. And I've witnessed quite a few battles, 1 or 2 of which have ended up in a fight.. But that's because people can't be mature about it, and that's their own personal problems.. If you can't take it, then don't do it.. Plain and simple.

And I have no idea who the dude you are talking about is..Never heard of him.. Where I'm from "liquid pop" is a mixture of liquid and pop locking.. You have never heard of it, that's fine, I don't care personally.. And frankly, I wasn't asking your opinion on it.

I'm very aware of the culture here, and that's all fine and dandy. But how the hell are you going to sit back and blindly bash someone for their opinion. I can see why a lot of people don't stay active here. :/. But, unlike most, I could give a shit less about your thoughts towards what I do, and opinions about how I do it.. So. It's whatever man. Do you. I'll do me. I'm here to learn, not to fight. And the people that disrespect me, can play in traffic quite honestly.

:] K?

So instead of defending your position, you respond with an adhom. Good job.

You STILL haven't explained why battling is a GOOD thing as opposed to sessioning, whereas several of us have now explained why battling is a BAD thing. Go read the story about a member's unborn CHILD being KILLED by battlers. Yeah.

Pray tell again, what is your goal in battling and how is it different from having a session with someone, observing someone, talking to someone, or both simply dancing in a circle, without "judges" or crowd applause crap?

Even hip-hop dancers are leaving battling. It's become a sold-out mediafest and they're returning to the roots of "ain't nobody the best BBoy." It's even WORSE when done with glowsticking, as it's completely contrary to the entire idea behind glowsticking. Not only do we look at PLUR in glowsticking, but there are MANY underlying principles of humility and personal expression, which become void with battling, where one shows off and sells out by doing "power moves" or what-have-you that will please a general crowd.

Anyways, let's see you argue instead of defending yourself with "you don't know me" "you don't get it". That's childish.

I won't argue with you. My beliefs are my beliefs, if you don't like them, it's whatever dude. If you don't like what I have to say, block me, I could care less. But I'm going to state my opinion whether you like what I have to say or not, so live with it.

and I don't care about people who lose unborn babies during battling.. Shouldn't be battling while your pregnant.. Duh? That's common freakin sense.

So your post basically only makes sense to you and no one else in the community? Your ignorance shows woobyz.

and I don't care about people who lose unborn babies during battling.. Shouldn't be battling while your pregnant.. Duh? That's common freakin sense.

AHHH you is a fucktard. You've just got yourself a suspension.

As fas as you saying you can do what you want and think how you want. Go fuck yourself. Your the one who is being more close minded than anyone else here and obviously arent THAT active if you don't even know what your talking about with your comment above. Take a week off , maybe you will get lost in traffic and not come back because i don't see what your giving back to the community anyway.

there are so many things i would like to say right here about that statement, honestly i think cleric said it nicely (and also a suspension was very nice on his part as well) as to where i wouldn't and won't due to your ignorance/selfishness/stuborness/lack of any credibility whatsoever. you will find that under my signature and also under decipher's there is a link called SAVING TEXAS, click on it when you get back and read it, then tell us what you thought because if you still feel the same way and say the same things i will proceed to say things that no one has heard come from me ever on this site, i have a deep rooted respect for all the members on gs.c especially dj sparrow and blink! they don't deserve your disrespect or lack of depth nor will i allow it to continue. also some advice, everyone here is not talking out their ass, I know for one that Dave is very deep rooted into the dance community as of several years of personal experience and he keeps it real when he speaks of it. I don't know your past or present but i am going to make this perfectly clear to you if you haven't understood it yet and because you haven't taken the time to read any articles on this site's stance on battling or taken into account what anyone else has said thus far.

BATTLING DOES NOT BELONG IN THE RAVE CULTURE! you even said you know nothing about glowstick battling so leave the whole issue of battling alone, we don't do it here on this site, if you keep pressing it you'll get banned, plain and simple. now you have already made a spectacle of yourself to say the least and you have a couple of choices in the matter

1. cure your ignorace (i can help if you ask)

2. never come back

3. Banned

it seems harsh that i say this but what you have stated thus far i have taken to heart and i won't forget anytime soon, i hope you go with choice #1 because cleric and dave have been kind enough to give you a second chance

lol... he keeps adding to his lack of knowledge. omg.. liquid pop-locking. holy shit, how much more fucking INCORRECT can someone get.

okay, let me SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU WHEN YOU FINALLY GET BACK ON HERE TO READ IT.

Funkstyles 101 - The education of .w00byz.™

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS LIQUID-POP. The people who INVENTED the term have said so. Liquid-pop eric is the name of a dancer in philadelphia.

Liquid is a dance form from the rave scene (90s). Popping is a dance form from the funk scene (70s). Locking is another dance form (70s). some people call all funk styles (which popping and locking fits under) pop-locking, but most people disagree the term exists. Bboying, or as some people like to say, "breakdancing" is from the 80s

Locking was invented by Don Campbell, who i PERSONALLY studied under, and himself has said it doesn't have much to do with popping but of course they took influences from each other.

Popping gradually evolved over time with the old skool greats on the west coast and east coasts, with the electric boogaloos being one of the more famous.

Liquid doesn't have a defined history, but the LPC, which is the liquid pop collective, lead by liquid pop eric, made it really famous. unfortunately, because of the name liquid pop, and because of fucktards like you who never fucking bothered to do research, idiots like you started calling everything that looks somewhat like liquid and waving "liquid-pop".

I also MET a member of liquid-pop collective, the name being code-red (who is also in the eikido video by former LPC members), in 2002, who has stated repeatedly that there is no such thing as liquid-popping. what the LPC does is called liquid. and they add some waving and popping elements to their style.

I was TRYING to be nice about it, but let me be blunt now.

conclusion: there is no liquid-pop.

Second conclusion: you don't know shit.

Third conclusion: not only don't you know shit, the people around you don't know shit. that means they are very inexperienced.

Fourth conclusion: Dude, I've been dancing since 1999. Don't tell me how much I know. Yeah, that's 8 years ago. You were like 9 years old. Don't patronize ME and don't tell me I don't know about the dance scene that you THINK you know.

I've met more dancers from all over the world than you have ever met in terms of people period.

End of lesson.

Im going to avoid commenting on the prior conflict in this thread and talk a little bit about the thread's original purpose, which is the younger GSC members. I hope this is okay with all of you =)

Alright, first, I will start by addressing myself, as a "younger GSC Member". I am 16 years old and still in high school. Earlier, someone stated that it was harder for younger GSC Members to attend functions in the rave culture that older members can...this is a true statement, because a lot of clubs, rave functions (if not all in my area) are 21 & up, or 18 & up....but, because of my activity in GSC, I have been given the ability to begin my own fucntions. I wanted to let you all know that GSC has helped me majorly in the community aspect of meeting other glowstickers.

For a few years, my friends and I held weekly meetups to dance together, and then when I discovered GSC, I also discovered more GSC members in my general area (Northern Virginia). These were people who felt the same passion when they held glowsticks, and also people who felt the sense of connection, the nature of PLUR. Ever since I became active on GSC, I have been a major planner and hoster in these weekly meetups with Northern Virginia glowstickers, and it has been an incredible experience for me. I have learned so much from meeting with all of these wonderful people (some who are also in my age group) and I am very grateful that GSC has allowed and embraced younger members such as myself. =)

Younger members are important to the community, especially if GSC values are important to them, because they are the ones who carry on the legacy of GSC. So, even when younger members are ignorant, and disrespectful, it is great that for the most part that there are assertively corrected. Of course it's different if this person has repetitive negative motives, but the mentor-pupil interaction that has been part of GSC can change things for the better.

A lot of younger GSC members may bother older GSC members, and that's understandable because of varying differences in maturity level. But there are younger people who are mature for their age, and there are young people who can become mature through GSC's support and assistance. Basically, as a younger member, I wanted to thank GSC for all it has provided me with; a chance to meet people of PLUR, the ability to learn from fellow glowstickers and to be able to share the love of glow. <3

^ good post audrey, i liked it, wish that virginia and kentucky could session sometime.

and that was an awesome recollection dave, i learned something in that

^ good post audrey, i liked it, wish that virginia and kentucky could session sometime.

Thank you very much, Phoenixxx. =) That would be awesome...we could build a teleportation device and bring NOVA and Kentucky glowstickers together for one night of great awesome PLUR-filled dancing. =D

Thank you very much, Phoenixxx. =) That would be awesome...we could build a teleportation device and bring NOVA and Kentucky glowstickers together for one night of great awesome PLUR-filled dancing. =D

that would be spectacular!, and also congrats on all of the successful meet ups that you have had thus far, they sound like a blast, one of my goals is to travel to other local meet-ups even if they are couple of states away, just to get a feel for how their gs.c'ing is there ya know? plus the vibe would be great and meeting someone from a totally different scene and state is always enlightening, and i meant to say great post! not good post

that would be spectacular!, and also congrats on all of the successful meet ups that you have had thus far, they sound like a blast, one of my goals is to travel to other local meet-ups even if they are couple of states away, just to get a feel for how their gs.c'ing is there ya know? plus the vibe would be great and meeting someone from a totally different scene and state is always enlightening, and i meant to say great post! not good post

thank you again!! they have all been a blast!!! we were trying to hold a big like tri-state meetup but it wasn't working out too well with everyone's conflicting schedules. :( we're gonna try again, I believe.

I think checking out other local GSC scenes would be a really enlightening thing, I'm planning on doin that when I get my license this summer! Not to mention, if you have one or two people from a few states away attending one of your local meetups, it would be like having a special guest!! haha. But, if you ever have the time and gas money, I completely embrace you into our NOVA circle of glowstickers, it would be wonderful having you at one, or many of our meetups.