Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mature Lamb

Your view on younger GS.C members

106 posts in this topic

I was going through the glow performers thread reading the posts, then Kendo's post that got him banned sorta just shouted out at me. He joined in June 2005, and he decided to get himself banned now?

This sorta worries me because I know how GS.C members have a hard time convincing younger people that glowsticking in high school for popularity, etc. is wrong, yet they still do it, and this MAY make some members not trusting any high schoolers as much. I've been lurking on GS.C since 2005, and when the new version of the forums came out, I decided to introduce myself.

I'm not going to lie and say that I automatically jumped to the articles page and read the culture behind glowsticking. I found glowsticking.com from some videos floating around the internet. I had no thought of battling, performance, or anything about it, and I still don't now. I thought of it more as the same as dancing to feel good and let loose, not something on stage like bboying which from my experience, is very uncomfortable.

I found that most of the people on GS.C that are banned or flamed are mostly younger people for participating in battles, performances and high school dances.

My question is, how do YOU, as a GS.C member, feel about younger GS.C members now?

for me age doesn't really make a difference, its how you carry yourself and the respect you have for others honestly, some might use age as an excuse but everyone knows experience comes with time and some may argue the ignorance factor. just be who you are no matter what people may say about your age, i don't think a ton of people really care how old you are on this site, at least thats how i have gathered things and i'm somewhat old compared to others here and no one has ever disrespected my age to me once, normally you'll here me say something about my age first before anyone else ever does. but to me age does not play a factor, if your rude and elitist then eventually you'll get what is coming to you, i think everyone is expected to have a minimal amount of maturity here and if you don't then you'll meet the door at some point but age doesn't have much to do with your attitude and the fact that your a jerk to others and get banned, and simply if you believe in other values then what has been built on this site then you honestly belong elsewhere such as dave has stated time and time again, simple as that

I think the flaming has gone down for the younger members. Most of them are new and don't really know where gs.c stands. Usually, referring to the articles or talking to them personally makes people change their attitude towards the art. The banning only happens when people are ignorant and thick-headed to the point where they don't deserve the right to be on the boards. It's not intended to be against the younger members, but I think their naiveté that forces them to be banned. I joined when I was 14 and it seemed as though I was respected/treated the same as the older members. I personally think as long as you act mature enough, there isn't a problem. I don't take age into much account unless it's specifically related to something.

I have nothing against the younger kids on the site since it's not always the younger ones who start all these type of subjects... for example, in the whirl thread we lost a close member of gs.c for his lack of ignorance... I think it's due to how serious we are a part of this community and how much we get involved... as for kendo stick, he's been a member on the site since june of 06' and he never did much in participation to our community...

Phoenix is right; it is not the age that matters, but rather the manner in which the member carries himself. Of course, there is a correlation between maturity and age, which is undeniable. But exceptions exist, as we can see: there are quite a few mature high school members who make insightful posts or even are staff members. But a lot of the young members who are not mature enough will not post anyway, either in fear of being scolded. In my case, I was a lurker for about a few months, reading how vetern members posted and what glowsticking was all about before I started posting up.

There is another side to the coin: while most would agree that younger members are on average less mature and therefore more harmful to the glowsticking culture, I see them as opportunities to be leaders. It is much easier to teach our ways to a new member who has no opinion or no knowledge of the culture than to one who has been in on the scene for a long time and is deeply convinced that battling is the way glowsticking should be run. My analogy is: I would always rather work with a blank slate than have to erase a slate that has already been written on with incorrect text and have to start over.

Honestly, I am going to agree with what people have been saying here about it not really being a factor of how old a person is, but rather their maturity level. While it's true, that it does seem that alot of the people who do get banned are younger, we also need to look at the things that they had been saying prior to getting banned, their attitudes, and also their tendencies on the site. More often then not, we see that these are people who blantly disrespected the views held on this site, usually did so in an immature manner, and even after attempts to educate them, continued to at that point disrespect the views, but also some members of the site. And that has not just been restricted to one particular age catagory.

Yes, some will argue that maturity and age are connected, but at the same time, they are not. Lets look at the older people on the site that also got banned at some point or another. We find that what they did to get banned also followed the same trends as the younger members.

Also remember that quite a few of those on this site that contribute HEAVILY to the scene and the advancement of the art haven't even turned 20 yet. Two examples that come to mind are Melvinorc (Brian) and Ange (Cody).

Anyways, because I just lost my train of thought, I am gonna shut up now.

Age doesn't matter, maturity and attitude does.

I first found GSC when I was 15 and I turned out ok. I've also seen guys in their 20's who act like complete dicks and get themselves banned within a week. I judge people on what they post, most of the time before I even know how old they are.

Younger members have it tough... they can't go to the events we can, and don't have access to all of the independent, self-motivated people around them.

Everyone they know is dependant on another person. The young people aren't capable of participating in the way we are. And that's a real challenge to get through.

jus one word.. potential.. but in terms of like showing off and stuff like that, it most likely wuold happen, unless they are the quiet types who does their research on this site and dont do n e thing gsc at school then its fine yeah?

Age doesn't matter, maturity and attitude does.

Well said.

Its about someones character and the way they carry themselfs.

Not particularly age.

Well all you guys are saying the same thing.

When I came to gs.c I was 16. I was a blank slate, I saw the gs.c ad and was hooked. But my whole facination with glowsticks started... at a highschool dance.

I loved the morals and attitude of gs.c that's what has kept me here for so long.

I love this place too much.

As I've grown I've posted better, smarter, and thought things through to avoid drama and flames wars.

Sittin at my computer now, about 2 months shy of 21, it all boils down to what that person truely believes in. GS.C Ideals or their own?

Age and maturity do come into play but its really about the true feelings of the art.

-RG

Sittin at my computer now, about 2 months shy of 21, it all boils down to what that person truely believes in. GS.C Ideals or their own?

Their own ideals should be the same as the GSC ideals. =)

Personally, I think it's pretty cool that a forum with majority of the population being 18-20's are able and willing to embrace younger people into their community and take them under their wing and show them the ropes, or "strings" :] if you will.. So yeahh.. And plus.. without young people around, there would definitely be a loss of creativity, if you get what I'm saying.

Mm..

^^young people are delicious.

QUOTE(Raver Girl @ Jun 1 2007, 12:33 PM) *

Their own ideals should be the same as the GSC ideals. =)

Thus why people get banned and people leave.

GS.C is made for a certain type of person.

A person with gs.c ideals, will show their true colors in every post.

Still live on gs.c, and grow as a person.

You guys are right maturity usually goes with age, but its not always the case.

When I was in highschool I danced with the sticks in my house, sometimes with my friends, and practiced and practiced. I wanted to be the best I could be. I wanted to impress myself. My goal even in highschool was not to show off for my peers, it was to be better than I ever thought I could be. I understood why people didn't glowstick at school, so I didn't. My friends knew, My ipod was full of techno and I'd glide around campus.

Even then I got it, maybe for the young people now though, there are more people wanting to jump into a crew and battle because of the movies and dancing portayed in society, Stomp the yard, you got served, all of that is jackin up the dance culture in general.

Maybe its societies influence.

The subliminal messages that lead to everything is a battle and a way to prove yourself. Here in america you gotta Fight for everything, and Fight just because... its "cool".

I say take the kids with the blank slate in and drill these morals into their heads, because if they truely believe and love gs.c as much as I do, they will keep our love for the glow alive.

So I always do my best to embrace them with all my heart and lead them down the right path to keep them happy. Who wants to be jaded and torn from glowsticking? Stay happy, don't battle and the art won't be thrashed.

-RG

But there is nothing wrong with battling.. People battle as a way of elevating their skill.. They learn from their opponent. It's not always just who is better than who.

I liquid pop battle every so often with people at parties that I go to.. Not just to win, but to improve by seeing and learning what my opponent has brought to the table. That way, if I see something new that I haven't learned, I can pick it up and use it in my dancing.

That's why I don't get why everyone here is so against battling, you're only looking at 1 side of the big picture..

But everyone has their right to an opinion.. I personally think battling is fine, and a very fun way to be able to pick up some good moves that people have come up with.

Just my 2cents

In other dance cultures, battling is okay. Battling is deep rooted into their way of life. And that's okay. We're not asking anyone to give up the culture of another dance form they love, we're asking them to respect the culture that we have created.

Glowsticking was not bred and raised on battling and it has no place in the culture, if you are a hip hop dancer, a bboy ... do what you have to do but keep it separated.

--- but keeping on topic ----

Honestly, I believe that the younger people would either; get with it and fight for it the way we do here or they will fall off, or they will get angry with something and somehow think that single handedly they can revolutionize glowsticking.

I have no problem with young members, I was a young member myself not too long ago, I just feel like some of the newer people coming in (if not referred to by someone already gsc) don't spend enough time learning about the background . . . it only hits them afterward that glowsticking is a lifestyle and not pretty moves you do with bright sticks.

I just wish they would take the time out ... and read. Talk to older members sometimes . . .hell we have so many members versus the amount of people that actually post . . . sometimes I get a little sad. Expanding as a community to me isn't about the amount of members we have, but the knowledge and advancement of the members that we do have that are willing to learn.

Guest supraGlowString

Younger members have it tough... they can't go to the events we can, and don't have access to all of the independent, self-motivated people around them.

Everyone they know is dependant on another person. The young people aren't capable of participating in the way we are. And that's a real challenge to get through.

true! :( i personally am 15 and will turn 16 sep, 10, 07 and its hard for me to find a place jsut to chill and dance w/ glowsticks. Lets put it this way i have no car, im not alowed in 98% of the clubs in city (hollywood, north hollywood,glendale, losangelis, etc...). The only places i get to string is in my house or HIN. :beamme::dead:

Guest Duck

This is very true. all ages parties are few and far between, and often times, due to stricter security because of the age groups that could be present, the party loses the aspects which makes parties fun, which is all the more aggrivating for a lot of people, turning them off from parties, potentially, and probably turning them off of the culture at an early age, so they are less likely to return when they are older.

this effects gs.c because kids who have the wrong idea of how parties work have the wrong idea of how gs.c works. they are still attached to the idea that there's someone who dictates what they should and shouldn't be doing, and while gs.c has rules and regulations for the message boards, there is quite a bit more freedom which they aren't used to practicing, and from time to time, they probably stretch it too far, and along with their already distorted perspective of the party scene, wrecks their view of the culture if they end up getting banned.

as far as i can tell, patience is practiced with younger/less mature members, and while some get banned, some learn and grow, provided they don't let any minor scoldings/other minor punishment get to them, or if they are banned and want to come back, and do what's necessary to make that happen, and continue to do right what they were doing wrong.

But there is nothing wrong with battling.. People battle as a way of elevating their skill.. They learn from their opponent. It's not always just who is better than who.

I liquid pop battle every so often with people at parties that I go to.. Not just to win, but to improve by seeing and learning what my opponent has brought to the table. That way, if I see something new that I haven't learned, I can pick it up and use it in my dancing.

That's why I don't get why everyone here is so against battling, you're only looking at 1 side of the big picture..

But everyone has their right to an opinion.. I personally think battling is fine, and a very fun way to be able to pick up some good moves that people have come up with.

Just my 2cents

So you dont see a problem with people battling when it comes to strings or freehanding either then?

I agree with everything people have said about it being a maturity thing and GS.C being made for a certain type of person, etc...

However, I am naturally more wary of younger members. It kinda just comes with the territory when most of the people getting banned these days are them - for battling and such. In all honesty, when I see a new, younger member join the site, it's kinda like I sit back and wait for them to reveal an attitude contrary to GS.C's ideals or post something about their glowsticking "routine" for the high school talent show.

Should it be that way? No. I should give them the same respect I do to older members and veteran members. Assume they're here because they agree with our philosophy and want to be part of this community - not just suck up our videos. But I'll be the first to admit, that's really hard sometimes.

I'm technically a younger member. I joined right after I turned 17. But, I think the difference is that when I joined, I saw how you guys (should be saying "we") had a different view on things. I knew that the views were important, so I learned them, followed them, and respected them. At first, it was one of those "Do it so you won't be banned." things, but now, it's one of those "do it to keep the art truly alive" things. It grew on me. Now I take the culture of GSC to heart more than anything else.

Like just about everyone else, I don't see a problem with younger people as long as they're willing to lose a bit of stubbornness and actually learn what we stand for, then respect that.

So you dont see a problem with people battling when it comes to strings or freehanding either then?

Honestly, I've never seen a battle when it comes to strings or freehand.. So I wouldn't know anything about it, I was saying battling in general is not bad, it is a way to improve and harness new ideas..

Honestly, I've never seen a battle when it comes to strings or freehand.. So I wouldn't know anything about it, I was saying battling in general is not bad, it is a way to improve and harness new ideas..

There is a difference in battling and sessioning