Sign in to follow this  
cynicdave

Practical Reasons for following GSC cultural rules

113 posts in this topic

Glowsticking.com has tried to explain the thoughts in a thorough manner, but it seems like there is just way too much information going around about why 1) you shouldn't glowstick in high school or your high school dance 2) you shouldn't battle 3) you shouldn't form separate crews

Here is a simple pragmatic reason:

The most experienced and well-known glowstickers will not help you and will ignore you if you ask for help. In addition, it's a quick way to get banned on glowsticking.com

Even if you are really young and you don't really understand WHY the rules are such, following these rules tells the older and more experienced glowstickers you are willing to follow the rules. Even if you don't exactly know why, but just trust us for a while, we trust that you will figure out why through personal experience sooner or late. it's inevitable as time goes by and events happen that you find out through real life or on glowsticking.com

So this means, I'd rather have people who just repeat the lines and follow the rules than those that think they know a lot better (those people never keep going with their glowsticking, because they are fundamentally apart from the main community and thus have no motivation to keep going. once you have a network of friends, people to learn from and exchange ideas, concepts and ideas, you have more of a chance to keep going and not hitting a plateaeu).

no one is an island.

i will follow the culture and their rulesby all means i will follow and spread to people that want to learn : )

so glad i read that.. :/

answered alot of questions and mannn do i feel like a dumbass

ahahahah

I have a question.

Sponsorships.

LEM

They sell glowsticks, gloves, etc. They take on people who want to make videos with their products, and then they send out products to people who have registered with them. They aren't competing or anything. Just selling glowsticks, just like GS.C has glowstick suppliers on their website. Does this go against the GSC culture for a stringer to be 'sponsored' for using their stuff and advertising it?

I have a question.

Sponsorships.

LEM

They sell glowsticks, gloves, etc. They take on people who want to make videos with their products, and then they send out products to people who have registered with them. They aren't competing or anything. Just selling glowsticks, just like GS.C has glowstick suppliers on their website. Does this go against the GSC culture for a stringer to be 'sponsored' for using their stuff and advertising it?

Our partnership with glowstick suppliers such as Glowarehouse & Extremeglow differs from your sponsorship with LEM.

We do not get paid nor do we get free glowsticks for partnering up with them. Instead, we advertise their site and we get you, the community member, a discount. We don't really get much in return after that.

Also, the system that LEM set up for sponsorship pretty much facilitates the so called "showing off" that we do not appreciate. You get more stuff for having more views on your YouTube video? We're here to push the art, not sell ourselves off for free stuff.

I'd also like to reiterate that LEM sponsored a competition in the past, but I believe they discontinued it after some members of GSC brought it up that it completely defies the unity that the rave culture is supposed to convey.

Our partnership with glowstick suppliers such as Glowarehouse & Extremeglow differs from your sponsorship with LEM.

We do not get paid nor do we get free glowsticks for partnering up with them. Instead, we advertise their site and we get you, the community member, a discount. We don't really get much in return after that.

Also, the system that LEM set up for sponsorship pretty much facilitates the so called "showing off" that we do not appreciate. You get more stuff for having more views on your YouTube video? We're here to push the art, not sell ourselves off for free stuff.

I'd also like to reiterate that LEM sponsored a competition in the past, but I believe they discontinued it after some members of GSC brought it up that it completely defies the unity that the rave culture is supposed to convey.

Well that is awesome to know. I'm glad I'm finally joining this community, cause I was borderline being dumb. I was excited for free sticks. But I'm more concerned about learning and being with other glowstickers these days. The guy was kind of all over the place about the sponsorship. It was pretty shady. Hopefully it's okay I'm now an ex-LEM promoter. :)

Well that is awesome to know. I'm glad I'm finally joining this community, cause I was borderline being dumb. I was excited for free sticks. But I'm more concerned about learning and being with other glowstickers these days. The guy was kind of all over the place about the sponsorship. It was pretty shady. Hopefully it's okay I'm now an ex-LEM promoter. :)

Nice to see your joining the community and learning the ways :P

btw, I remember commenting on one of your vids! XD

I logged into the forum looking for inspiration for a combo, and found this thread to be interesting.

Hello everybody, long time no see.

IMO I think the rules of GS.C are a wonderful code of conduct, and I hate it when people look at us as if we were Nazis simply because we choose to outline in writing the way we feel. The fact of the matter is, we have come together as a community based on the fact that we all feel similarly about something that we enjoy. I can't speak for everyone here, and so I'll only speak for myself and those who agree or disagree can of course add to this. However, the values that GS.C defends are not meant to scare, or discourage anyone from being him or herself. I've been told before "we are not the Glowsticking police", and being a part of this community is a choice, and we have chosen to take a more conservative route.

I tend to be sort of quirky and socially awkward, and I have a lot of performance anxiety, or social anxiety in general, really.... Point being, the outlook of this community really appealed to me for that reason. We are just trying to get together based on a common interest, and want everybody to feel welcome and have a good time. No one is out to make you feel bad because they can do something and you can't. That's what the rules have always meant to me. It is not that we are trying to crush your spirits by not allowing you to showcase your talents, and anyone who has ever come to a meet up will know that. We are warning you in advance that not everybody will take kindly to what we do, and we are asking you to represent the Glowsticking world as a whole in a better light, in order to fight this thing. No pun intended T.T

At the end of the day, I don't want to be associated with certain things, and neither does the rest of community, and if you're wondering what those things are... well, they're clearly defined.

Where are the admins when this stuff needs enforcing? Come back guys...

I skipped out on a lot of what people and typed. So basically tl;dr on what this thread says over all, how ever, i will commend to these rules. :)

I don't exactly understand the culture, history, and reason all too fully yet, but i'll try to explain what i think. Trying to spread such a beautiful art form to the world just to make it a populous subculture isn't the way to go. If it is done that way, it will kill actual enjoyment of this type of dance. Sort of the reason why jerking died so fast, and cwalking will soon be also. People will forget this is a way to show off feelings, and the passion of seeing angelic geometry shapes flying around, or getting those emotions a child would feel watching disney. Hard to explain. If it were taken as the publics naive, idiotic ways, it would turn into a exercise scam you see in those cheap infomation, a swagfags/guido/mi dang means of competition through rage and skill. If we keep this art in a manner more of, hang out with friends, street performance, held clubs, or anything conventional to this, it can still revive to become as well known as breakdancing.

I'm pretty hesitant for posting this, mostly because i don't know if this is how it's really understood, so correct me instead. I liked glowstringing mostly because how carefree it looked and how whimsical it can get. I don't want that to turn the wrong way.

I'm still new here. But is it really okay to revive threads even though this is sticky'd?

REVIVE THEM. REVIVE THE STICKYD

ANYONE KNOW CPR

Edited by Dgloww

Where are the admins when this stuff needs enforcing? Come back guys...