Sign in to follow this  
cynicdave

Practical Reasons for following GSC cultural rules

113 posts in this topic

Ohh gawd. Senior year for one of the idiotic assemblies they had a themed dance called Raving. Mostly a bunch of idiots wearing candy and holding glow sticks and doing the robot or moon walk. I shook my head and walked out.

Never went to any of my school dances, mostly because all they place is the same society likes rap crap all the time.

I 100% agree with number one. Numero dos though. Battling in which form. I dont exactly battle in competition but Ill get a few people together and do transitions from one glowsticker to another. Basically when they throw their arms towards me at their stop point itll be my start point and just go from one to another. The fluid of motion is awesome. So I dont think this is battling, but correct me if Im wrong.

That just seems like a little thing you and your friends do when you're having a session.

Some people say having sessions with your friends is considered battling. I consider those people retarded.

Battling is defined mostly by the fact that it's done for props from people who know nothing of the art or culture.

ya im 17 but pretty indepentent so i kinda have to stay to underground party or no age limit but im moving to Florida so im hoping there will be more out there and thanks for the link.

If you're moving down here to Florida, it also depends on where you go. I know here in the South Florida region there are all ages nights, along with some underground parties if you know "the right people" *i.e. those who know about the party or who help set it up*. Again though, transporation is always a factor, along with independence. If you can get around, and your folks don't mind you being out till the asscrack of dawn *again, depends on the party* then power to you.

ya man im moving to the Sabastion area not completely sure where yet me and uncle are still look for places but ya man that would be tight. im going down there around April 3rd to 11th to check out the colleges. i might have to hit you up but i havn't had a chance to really do anything with glowsticking yet i still need a lot of work.

Heh, odd, same rules i created before i learned of this site, for myself and my bro, almost same reasons verbatum too

Its not that we don't want high schoolers to experience the art form, its that we would also want them to acknowledge and understand the culture behind it. In our experience we've seen what glowsticking in high school/talent shows and battling has done to the art form that we're trying to protect. When people don't know the culture behind it and they just start stringing (btw, is that what you mean by throwing strings?)/ freehanding they do it for the wrong reasons and people that are introduced to it by just seeing it at a talent show or seeing it at a battle get the negative connotations of the culture that we are trying to shake like we all do drugs etc and don't get that we are really trying to push this as and art form and that we want it respected. Bottom line is, if you love the art so much; keep the negativity away from it. Competitions turn it into who's better than whom, when we just want it to be about PLUR. While it can be a healthy form of release for other kinds of dancing such has hip hop and krumping, it has no place in our culture so we fight to make sure that it stays out of our culture as much as we can. "My dream is that one day someone is going to see a stringer and say "That kid is stringing" rather than what happens 9 out of 10 times currently "omg what a fucking drug head alsjdlaksjdlasjd raver!". Turning the negative into positive is what we're all about.

This explained it much better for me, and all though i am new to the culture i will keep this in mind when performing, i have read alot about the history and origins about glowsticking and PLUR but that explanation was very good and i will help in any way to make glowsticking a respected and known art form.

im guessing you get this all the time but whats wrong with sticking at school. plz dont hate me or anything but whenvever i have free periods i use it for practice with dead sticks

Edited by timthetam

The summary is that you cant teach everyone the culture behind it, some people will go rouge and take it for something thats a cool factor and thats not what its for. People might run with it and develop competition, talent shows, etc. This video is a perfect example of that. This is why its spread and diluted the wrong way at HS.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=69oU-gAX1J8

The summary is that you cant teach everyone the culture behind it, some people will go rouge and take it for something thats a cool factor and thats not what its for. People might run with it and develop competition, talent shows, etc. This video is a perfect example of that. This is why its spread and diluted the wrong way at HS.

lol i just posted this vid in the chatroom . were u watching me? its amazing the hours that u come online .. still amazes me ..

its like you're danny the vampire or something

i still dont get whats wrong with it but ill trust you

I really appreciated the post! Couldn't agree more~!!

As a new GSC member :] I promise to follow the rules :] glad I haven't broken any of the guidelines yet. Besides I hide it from my friends :/ somewhat

Yo Juno that's from your school? Yikes you know she did it for popularity.

:respect:

To the Members of GS.C I lend you my coat of arms to defend the principles of GS.C and of P.L.U.R. seriously!

:respect:

Edited by JobbieSKA

Alright. Clarification question.

I understand the reasons for not spreading glowsticking in high school in the sense of setting up a club or the like. The dilution of culture and people doing it 'because it's cool' happened in other subcultures that I consider myself a vague part of, and no good came of it. I wouldn't have immediately said "it's a bad idea", but the explanation makes a lot of sense.

I understand the reasons for not glowsticking in high school in the sense of lighting up at a dance/talent show/etc. People would want to do it "because it's cool", and you can't control that, which means it's better not to expose them to it. I'm in high school, I watch people every day bend over backward to 'be cool', and lose or hide parts of their identities for acceptance by their peers (which makes me kind of sad for them, because I haven't done that since 4th grade and I'm still well liked). It'd lead to the same dilution of culture.

However, what's the community's views on (a) learning to glowstring with friends from highschool (in this case, in the sense of friends who share the same ideals, etc.) in the sense of you're both learning and you share ideas, etc., and (B) practicing while in a high school (with deads).

I ask because one of the best times for me to practice would be during free periods/breaks/lunch at high school (which would be with deads/sock poi), and I have a friend or two who, if introduced to the idea of glowstringing, would probably (a) really enjoy it as an art from, and (B) are already demonstratively more mature and aren't the sort of people who'd do it to 'be cool'. (Not saying I'd mentor them, because I'm definitely not good enough to do stuff like that, but I'd point them to places like this site, etc.)

So what's the community's views on those two, and why? I mainly ask because there are obviously people here who have put a lot more thought into the subject then I have, and although I'm new to the community, I understand that people care a great deal about it.

we highly encourage to form your own group of friends and to perhaps practice in school AFTER HOURS if there is absolutely no other place to practice or somewhere REALLY PRIVATE.

we'd really you stay away from that venue as much as possible, but we understand some people have no options.

we highly encourage to form your own group of friends and to perhaps practice in school AFTER HOURS if there is absolutely no other place to practice or somewhere REALLY PRIVATE.

Yeah, it's not as if I have no options other then that. On afterthought, even though I would be using deads, people would probably watch anyways, and it might get people interested in the wrong way. (because even with dead glowsticks, the spinning patterns can look pretty).

Thanks for the clarification.

I feel i need to apologize for some things i have said before. My lack of understanding and knowledge of this culture has truly put me in a position in which i realize what i have done. DAVE, i owe you an apology as well as all of the members on here and for replying so bluntly and stupidly to your comments. I ask for everyone's forgiveness in hopes that i will be forgiven and that i won't make the same mistakes again and live up to the culture the "right" way.

for my mother's suprise birthday party I wanted to do a glow dance to one of her fav. techno songs. would this be going against GSC culture/rules?

for my mother's suprise birthday party I wanted to do a glow dance to one of her fav. techno songs. would this be going against GSC culture/rules?

Of course not hahaha.

For those who don't know, I was serious when I said It's fine to do it. I just laughed because I found it pretty funny how people would feel we are against something like that.

Guest Blitz
For those who don't know, I was serious when I said It's fine to do it. I just laughed because I found it pretty funny how people would feel we are against something like that.

its not funny

my mom used to be a battler, so if I were to glowstick in front of her she would definitely hop up and challenge me to a sticking battle. Then what would end up happening is my little brother would cheer for me, but my little sister would be like "go mom!!!" and "blitz suckz!!!" which would piss me off so Id throw a glowstick at her, then my grandma would be all "stop that, or im gonna go glowstick in a high school setting!"

and if thats not enough, my goldfish always wants to be "cool" so he'd probably get into sticking for the wrong reasons...

Edited by Blitz

thanks fo0r that im a young glowstringer but i am willing 2 follow the rules :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

In my opinion, glowsticking in High School is just gonna make you look like an ass to most people. Most of them are not gonna look at you and say, "that's sooooo cool. I wanna kearn to do that." If anything, more popular people will say something about it first, and everyone else will go with that. They will probably say you're a fag and it's gonna affect how most people look at you for the rest of your high school career.

I've been sticking out in public parks before and been called so many names by people I don't even know. I don't really care though. I don't let it bother me cuz I'm gonna be me no matter what.

Glowsticking in public will probably only cause problems for you. Nothing good is gonna come out of it except strengthening your mind-set for not caring what people think of you.

Sticks and Stones my friends.

People can say your a druggie, but it doesn't mean that it's true. Fuck em! Let them think what they want.

As for the rules of the site, just follow them. Don't question if you are gonna be a member of the community. You became a member under these rules, so don't argue.

I'm not sure where to lean with this idea.

Stringing is like anything else. Its a hobby, and I don't understand why this hobby is so protected. It's discouraged to string in public. But for what reason exactly. I have read the cultural topics, and they dont really explain it besides saying that people will just associate stringers to being drug addicts and ravers. My question is why do people think this. If no one is allowed to string in public, then why do people associate it with raves and drugs?

I honestly dont think Stringing is done for popularity. Some people (including myself) just love to do it, and think its cool. (But whats wrong with thinking its cool) I enjoy stringing, and I dont do it for popularity. I do it because I want to.

I've read topics that say..."people will just think....ohh thats soo cool, I want to try" But then what other reason would someone want to string? I dont mean popularity, I mean that when people see stringers for the first time, it may intrigue them, and it may make them interested. This is what I thought at least. And because I thought it was interesting, I decided to try it, and I have been stringing for about a week now, and I really enjoy it. I string only for enjoyment, not popularity.

I'm not saying I think everyone should go out there and string in public, but why is it so discouraged?

Edited by Sallad