Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

suzume

Saving Texas

142 posts in this topic

It was December 29th 2006. My wife had been pregnant for three months and was about to end her first trimester. this was ultimately her last time to go out and party before the pregnancy really started to slow her down. We decided that we would go out to Sky Lounge, one of the more popular nightclubs in Austin.

Before heading out i was contacted by a GS.C member with the name "Spicy_truth". Now i knew he was from San Antonio and a member on the String-e-people website. usually that's not a problem, some of them are very laid back and fun people to hang out with. For those wondering why i mentioned that, for some reason or another the entire scene down here who has access to GS.C seem to have this dedication to calling me a biter, and a faker. why? My best guess is because i denied the culture and influences they try to force upon kids who want to start (i started in 2001 and was raised on GS.C) So ever since 2001 randomly at events and whatnot i'll either get "called out" to battle someone, will be recognized as a GS.C member, or they will actually KNOW me. Spicy_Truth had said he wanted to meet me, and wanted to talk some shit out. at the time i didn't know if that was a welcoming or a warning, so i told him to meet me at sky lounge.

We arrived at Sky Lounge around ten o'clock and went on to the main dancefloor. about fifteen minutes passed and then a Hispanic teenager about 5'4" tapped me on the shoulder and said,

"You sparrow?"

"yeah?"

"you're a fucking biter dawg"

"do i know you?"

"Spicy... i wanted to tell you to your face you're a biter"

"how am i a biter? if i ever borrow any ideas i give the rightful respect to them"

"Bullshit dawg you're a biter straight up"

the argument continued for almost an hour, we had also somehow managed to wander over to the tables and sat down. no voices were raised, no fists were thrown, we even bought some drinks to quench our first to continue talking. M (my wife) and I had ordered water. M about halfway through the whole thing said she needed to go to the restroom and quickly excused herself. as she walked off i watched her make her way across the floor and my eyes were quickly drawn to the amazing lightshow going on at the Dj booth ( a digital rainbow projected on a screen) Spicy interrupted my gaze by smacking the table with his palm and yelling "sparrow" to get me back to reality, and the conversation continued. M returned as the conversation ended with,

"alright whatever man, to GS.C you're a badass, but to the rest of the world, you're a biter"

Spicy stood up and walked out to the dancefloor muttering out loud how i had ruined his night. he met up with three other guys that were standing off near a wall, and signalled that they were all going to leave. M and I finished off our drinks and went out to the dancefloor thinking nothing of this whole argument.

We made our way onto the dancefloor and i resisted the urge to string, as it was extremely crowded that night. M was up near the heart of the dancefloor, and i had strayed behind as i was caught in a circle watching people doing liquiding routines. when i was able to make my way out of the circle (maybe three minutes max) i started to look for her. i couldn't see her. i had lost track of her And i had her phone. where is she, i need to find her. and i saw the most sickening sight i could ever imagine.

M laid sprawled across the floor not moving, people not even noticing she had fallen down. i pushed people out of the way to get to her, christ she had a shoeprint on her cheek, how long had i been in that circle? i picked her up and tried to get her to her feet. she was hot, very hot. i tried calling her name and gently nudging her, praying to god i could get a response. she remained limp in my arms. what the hell had happened? was it really that bad of an idea to go dancing while she was pregnant? why was she so hot? dear god how long had she been like this?

I ran out of the club with her slung over in my arms. her breathing was so soft. as i sprinted out to the parking lot i dialed 911.

"9-1-1 emergency"

"my wife is pregnant and she's passed out"

"what is your location"

"we're down at sky lounge on-"

"we're sending an ambulance right away"

I threw open the back doors and opened one of the water bottles i had in the back. barely covering her mouth to keep water out, i poured the bottle over her face to hopefully wake her up and cool her down. nothing happened. i checked her pulse, her heart was racing. but if her heart was racing why was she breathing so softly? the ambulance arrived a few minutes later and i carried her up to the stretcher and we drove off to the nearest hospital.

After answering all of the questions the emergency care workers were asking, i looked at M. seeing my wife carrying our child in a dire state like that, i couldn't bare see it. i covered my eyes for i don't know how long. the ambulance came to a hault and the back doors were swung open. M was carried off to EU, and they said i could see her in a few minutes. this of course sent me into a fit of rage demanding to be by my wife's side, this was ridiculous i promised her i would never leave her side, and this was an obvious time that i needed to be there with her. it took them fifteen minutes of talking to cool me down and get me to just sit and wait. i watched that damn clock like a starving wolf, counting each second click past. a doctor was walking towards me, had the clock changed dramatically? the little arm was on eleven.

"Sir?"

"yes"

"your wife, does she have any type of severe allergies?"

"no, only cedar fever, but it's moderate"

"Does she abuse any kind of drugs?"

"no, what do you mean?"

"well. there is an extreme trace of rohypnol in her.."

"Oh my god, is she-"

"no, she's alive, we lowered her temperature back down. but some things did occur"

"what. what do you mean?"

"Well we aren't sure what the rohypnol has done to her in the long run. you see rohypnol affects-"

"yes i know, i've read up on it."

"okay, well the other problem. was. the child-"

"oh my god. no!"

"I'm afraid so."

She was released under my care that morning. M slept for three days straight. In the mean time the police were asking about what had happened, and i replied the entire situation to them. The police said they had nothing to go off of, all they had was an occurrence and without anything hard to go with, it was a dead end.

That day Cleric and CynicDave messaged me. apparently Spicy_Truth had made a remark about all that had happened. Cleric deleted the comment that was posted on my video thread and sent it to me. CynicDave banned, IP banned, and traced where the message had come from. i fed all of the information given to me from Cleric and Dave to the police and they said they would look into it. The next two days i worked as much as i could so i could start paying off the mounting bills from the hospital.

It was the first of the year in 2007 when i got a call from the police at ten in the morning. they asked me to come down and verify some information. i told M i would be back in a few hours, and took off.

Down at the police station they asked me to identify two men they had in captivity. One of them was Spicy, and the other was one of the guys he had walked away with that night. i told them yes those two were there that night. the office told me that Omar (spicy) had admitted to everything, and all i needed to do was sign a couple of papers, and i wouldn't even need to show up in court. Later that day i received another call stating that they had both been sentenced to 19 years each in prison.

All of that from a corrupt scene, claiming it was all for competition. is that really what it comes down to? you are willing to KILL someone to prove an opinion that someone is a biter, in an artform? My wife and myself will forever be emotionally scarred, and i will never have the child i could have had because of this. i want this to be a message to everyone, that this is a possibility to everyone, and every society. the culture down here is so corrupt that problems are no longer settled on dancefloors, its settled in hospitals. I could turn this whole story into one big "dont battle" message but i want it to be more than just that. i want it to be an exhibit of how bad society can get. how a culture you love so much, can become so volatile. Don't hate others, don't alienate others, don't call people biters, haters, fakers, or whatever comment you can think up. why can't we all be one thing, family? mine has already been destroyed, and the last thing i want to see is others have this happen. i swear to god, i want this to be the only incident to ever happen. i never want to go on to GS.C and read that someone else has lost a family from the culture. and that's why i'm going to try and save what little there is to save out here. i know there are still members out here who share the same beliefs, and ideas as i do. i refuse to give up on the texas scene even though i've lost so much out here (credibility, my unborn child,and almost my wife) and i refuse to see it happen to anyone else.

sincerely,

Sparrow

Guest DrBlueWater
Man seriously bro, im really sorry this happend, i just hope God is by your side at every moment, now i see how bad battling can be bro, im from texas and down here where i live thats all people wanna do is battle at whatever dance from you know. Seriously man i feel fucking bad for what has happend, if that guy was out of jail i would just get back at him, but not to be as low as him i would just make him pay lawfully. But Sparrow i didnt really understand how bad things get in SA when it comes to stringing it seems like a Gang thing or something, cause thats how hispanic guys are down here man. But for reals the heck with batttling if this is going to happend man. "god bless you, i hope everything goes well for you and im sorry for what has happend."

Thas some f***ed up stuff there man... i never knew people would go through so much just cuz they dont like and shit. just stay strong. my heart and prayers is with you and your family.

Oh my god man, I'm so sorry that happened to you. I hope your wife and child will be okay. It's seriously messed up that someone would take their "battling" that far. As DrBlueWater said, that sound like a gang thing or something. This whole culture is founded on PLUR, and it seems like a lot of people getting into it nowadays (who aren't on gs.c) don't know about or don't respect that. I'm glad to know the guys that did that are going to jail. Hopefully they'll learn to be better people while they're in there. God bless you man, I'll pray for your child.

Well, I did read the whole thing, and I thought the whole thing was pretty fucked up how it happened. I decided to call you after that.

=/

I'm sorry =/. I wish the best of luck to you and your wife. It makes me realize how precious life is, no matter how many times it has been said. Be grateful, and always look up for something brighter.

wow... I'm pretty stunned at all of what happened... I'm sorry for your lose... I still can't believe how someone would actually do something that stupid and idiotic just for this sense of pride... For one thing, you did not do anything wrong and they drug your wife, resulting in the worst for the start of your future... I hope those fucking morons get what they deserve...

It's lame how someone would do something this stupid to prove nothing...

I wish you well Sparrow, I've always thought of you in high regards, and it really sucks that their are those who would judge us the way they have done to you. Damn, I just don't know what else to say,

I hope no one else here has to go through such tragedy, and that everyone who reads this will take something from your experience. Take care Sparrow

Danny

omg...omfg...

i'm utterly speechless with shock and indignation over this, and i cannot stop thinking about how utterly stupid and pointless the whole attack was. my heart hurts for you, your wife, and your unborn child and i'm so sorry that something like this had to happen to you. Events like this just serves to show how corrupted life is and makes me so grateful for PLUR. i'm very glad that those two idiots are in jail and only wish there was more that could be done to punish them. but more importantly, i wish that there was more that could be done to spread the message of PLUR and to show how detrimental this kind of stuff is towards everyone. once again, i'm so sorry for your loss and wish you guys strength with which to get through this ordeal. we people in gsc will always be here for you guys. :grouphug:

damn..shit.. Im sorry.. I cant even imagine. All I can say is I will help you keep the Texas scene alive and pure. That I can promise you.

I am terribly sorry to hear this. I give you my deepest sympathies. I am not really not sure what else to say, because most of it has been said. Although I am still pretty sickened by this incident, that people taint such a great art through irrational acts of violence. Differences in an art should be settled through means of talk and reasoning especially since the overarching theme in glowsticking is PLUR.

I will be here, by your side. And I will take lesson from this incident. By that, I mean that I will protect the culture however I can and spread benevolence in the form of PLUR, not just to glowstickers, but to all types of people. I look up to your achievements and I hope that you will not back down for what you stand for. Best of wishes to you, Sparrow. You can count on us.

I am left speechless. I don't really know what to say but the usual, "My heart goes out to you" and such.

Why would they still be festering over an argument that shouldn't even exist? Yes, we still have different views over battling and such, but we're still both part of the same general culture with beliefs in PLUR.

My heart goes out to you man, and the loved one you lost.

damn...thats really fucked up what they did to you. i dont think i could even imagine the emotional pain that you were in the following days after the incident.

man, this is the worst punishment done to anyone for having different views... hopefully, dave does place this up somewhere for everyone on the site to recognize how crucial people may take things such as related with crews and battling..

Sparrow man I am so sorry to hear this. That's pathetic how they would go so far because you are supposedly a "bitter". I am speechless, we all are, I don't know what to say. I'm sorry man you know we are all here for you if there is anything we can do. You have 100% of our support and I hope nothing like this ever happens to you again. I'll remember this and make sure nothing like this happens and be precautions of people calling any of us haters or fake, bitters.

Sparrow, man My deepest sympathies go out you, your wife, your whole family. Stories like this disgust me, to know that people can be so ignorant and foolish in their actions as to want to harm someone over a fucking glowstick rep? are you fucking kidding me? People like that need to learn very hard lessons and need to grow the fuck up. We all share the passion for this art and think of it as more than just a hobby, but in no way should anything associated with this artform be able to incite such despicable actions as to attempt to kill someone and destroy a family. . . because they're a fucking "biter"?

Why, why, why, must the positive things in life be tainted with such negative thinking and acts of physicality or violence? Does that tip society in the right angle on the axis of "normalcy" that seems to be defined by corruption? Why can't we just have at least one thing be pure, one thing be good and true? what the fuck is the problem with people? it's all nonsensical.

It shocked me to know that this happened, and my heart goes out to you, again. I truly respect you, and what you're trying to do with this art and appreciate it. I'd hope that one day we could physically interact and share in concepts and viewpoints on this great art that we love and maybe even further beyond that. It really pisses me off knowing that this happened, and to a really good person. Life works horribly in that way.

My best of wishes to you as this new year begins, and just stay strong man, for yourself, your wife and those who love you.

Im absoloutley shocked.

Im only newish around here and this place is full of warmth and love, i had no idea peple took this shit so seriously as to physically harming someone like that.

As much as i wouldnt want this to happen, i dont understand why their target was your loved one and not you.

I mean, theres having an opinion about someone or something, but fuck, theres no need to go that far.

I dont like to wish bad shit upon people, usually, but i hope they get fucked up in jail.

Karma will take care of them.

im truly sorry for your loss.

sparrow be strong.

good grief

My condolences Sparrow. I honestly dont know what to tell you other than that.

There's a darker more dangerous side to everything. There are those who willingly enter and when those are in short supply, the dark side comes out to spread their malice onto others. It's beyond description how unfortunate it is that this happened to you and your wife.

I have to give props to you, I hope I will never be in that situation, but I know that if I were in your shoes, I would have demanded blood. But that would have achieved nothing.

I'll leave off with these three quotes.

"Condemnant quod non intellegunt."

--Unknown

4:31 omnis amaritudo et ira et indignatio et clamor et blasphemia tollatur a vobis cum omni malitia.

4:32 estote autem invicem benigni misericordes donantes invicem sicut et Deus in Christo donavit nobis

-- Ephesians, 4:31-4:32.

The nobler sort of man emphasizes the good qualities in others, and does not accentuate the bad. The inferior does the reverse.

-- Confucius.

Karma's one hell of a bitch, that's all I can really say. smh.... We're with you man....

I'm sorry, man. I really am. I can only imagine what you're going through right now, and it hurts. I've always hated violence. I know I'm new and all, and you don't know me, but I'm here if ya need it. I'll be praying for you, too.

the type of stringing culture they have attracts bad characters. so many people it's all cool and fun, but it's really not. it leads to bad feelings when you start competition and that can lead to messed up stuff. like how tonya harding bashed her competitions leg in.

damn man...im new to SA i had no idea the scene here was so disgusting...that bastard should be put to death, if you have an issue wih someone you take it up with them not their family, that takes a coward beyond words, not to mention there was no point....it was sensless,

i dont know you...at all really, but that doesnt change anything, i agree with you when you say we should all be one thing, a family, i dont understand how someone cn do that, over something as stupid as a danceform, nothing should come before humanity and life, not even something like these dances, true it can be a way of life to many, but the base concept for everything is life not the way we live it, and no one has the right to take that away over an art or a difference of opinion...

at leased here we stand togeather ya know? i think i speak for everyone here when i say we got your back,

bless you sparrow, and let god protect you i know ill be prayen for the 2 of you...

Brandon (aka Karzac41101)

Sparrow and Misty, my deep condolences to you and the rest of your family. I know that you guys will gain nothing but strength from this experience and I hope that while you have lost someone dear to you that you will gain more than the pain and the sorrow of this and grow closer as a couple and grow as individuals.

I can not express the sadness that I felt when I read this post this morning, I cried, I screamed and I nearly threw my computer across the room and I know that reaction was similar for everyone else that read this . . . .. I hope that you know that your gsc family loves you and will do nothing less that support you and carry you if necessary during this difficult time.

If you or your wife need anything at all, know that Aden and I are here for you, as I'm sure is everyone else on gsc.

Goodness gracious... that's not what the culture's about. I can't believe someone would take it that far...

djsparrow, codolences to you & your family. I'm terribly sorry about what happened... I only have hope that you & your wife will prevail through this experience, a sense of satisfaction that those responsible were brought to justice, and admiration for your dedication to the culture. Peace, love, unity, respect, and God's blessing be with you.