Sign in to follow this  
cynicdave

GSC V2016 - Looking for Help and Ideas

12 posts in this topic

- Have some great ideas on how to improve and make GSC useful in a post FB world? Want to help? Know your way around systems like wordpress? Post here!

- Looking for people who understand the online world in a professional setting.. like posting content through a CMS like wordpress, or maybe you've done some content moderation, or maybe you are decent at HTML/CSS/PHP blah blah. 

- Maybe you have a few hours a month to help?

- Post ideas here.

Some ideas I've heard include a comprehensive directory of Facebook groups, better video gallery, etc.

How about a revamp of the rules that don't claim ownership of an art form?  Ones that don't create an unwelcoming environment to people from a different angle of life/understanding, but are interested in learning.  Guidelines that promote the art and how creatives should treat each other, giving us a chance to create a community where we all grow, share, and make connections on the exterior as well as in.  And lift all bans that currently pertain to the old rules.  There is a lot of experience still around eager for a community, but these rules take away 100% focus on glowsticking to the point the site is where it is now.  

This website started me on a journey of meeting people from all walks of life where I've come to understand that I won't agree with every single one of their opinions and still be friends that care about each other and can enjoy life together.

I believe this site should be:

- A database of information for self progression

- A safe & encouraging place to be creative

- An interactive community

- A place to promote this art

These are just my thoughts and I could be alone in this way of thinking.  But it's my attempt at bringing back something that helped me in my life immensely, and I'd like more people to be afforded the opportunity.

Things change, shit happens. I can't say I really ever enforced or stood behind that. I'm just not a fan of battling lol. I can live with it. I can understand that people do it for their own reasons, but I don't care to have it around me. Meh. I could understand that one isolated incident can cause a huge stigma against battling and put negative stereotypes on the culture, but those are the risks you take to get it out there. Not in a mainstream kind of way, but just to let people know that this is most definitely a technical art form that can obviously be compared to other props, but at the same time, in a whole league of it's own.

Also, I don't like the way the site looks now. D:

Things change, shit happens. I can't say I really ever enforced or stood behind that. I'm just not a fan of battling lol. I can live with it. I can understand that people do it for their own reasons, but I don't care to have it around me. Meh. I could understand that one isolated incident can cause a huge stigma against battling and put negative stereotypes on the culture, but those are the risks you take to get it out there. Not in a mainstream kind of way, but just to let people know that this is most definitely a technical art form that can obviously be compared to other props, but at the same time, in a whole league of it's own.

Also, I don't like the way the site looks now. D:

Ok, don't promote it here. But ostracizing them from this site/community because of any type of pro-affiliation with something that isn't supported here?

One of the few things I've been thinking about in regards to GSC is perhaps starting off fresh. We can't dwell on the past and expect to keep moving to the future. At the same time, I'm still against battling and the negative stigma surrounding it. But by constantly mentioning it, we're being weighed down by our own negativity. We should move forward in a positive light and deal with each new situation as they arise. Most of us have grown up on GSC or have been influenced by it, so I'd like to think we're a bit more mature now to handle these situations like adults rather than have constant drama.

As for ideas for GSC:

- Can we figure out a way to get more people to actively post content on social media?  I believe that's where we're lacking the most.  The facebook page is pretty much dead, and the IG I've created can only go so far considering we don't get nearly enough content anymore.  I can hand off the passwords to that account to whomever is deemed appropriate, but for now I'll maintain control (If anyone has any content to post on IG, let me know!^_^

- In addition to the above, the YouTube account is in dire need of updating and constant content.

- Would you mind if GSC covers new music releases/reviews and festival news on the front page?  I know it's vaguely related to glowsticking, but if you don't mind I can write up some articles and round up a few others from acquaintances in the festival scene.  Although, getting press/media for Live Nation (Insomniac/Hard/USC/etc.) is notoriously difficult now that they're cracking down and have their sole dedicated photo crew.  Not that it wasn't difficult before.  :dizzy:

- More meet-ups!  I know azzie and aden have been trying to organize another Glow Shop on the east coast, but it shouldn't be too hard to organize something small on the west coast.  :animier:

This!

One of the few things I've been thinking about in regards to GSC is perhaps starting off fresh. We can't dwell on the past and expect to keep moving to the future. At the same time, I'm still against battling and the negative stigma surrounding it. But by constantly mentioning it, we're being weighed down by our own negativity. We should move forward in a positive light and deal with each new situation as they arise. Most of us have grown up on GSC or have been influenced by it, so I'd like to think we're a bit more mature now to handle these situations like adults rather than have constant drama.

I'm still here too... >.>

Ideas for GSC:

- FB, IG, Twitter needs an active poster. I think expanding to music content/reviews on top of the normal glowsticking posts would help attract traffic. I can volunteer for Twitter and coordinate with Zin/whoever else would want to share content or actively post.

- Aside from Glowsticking, incorporate Flow art and Hooping too. Hooping has grown so much over the past few years. I remember when I was trying to learn it over 5 years ago, there weren't very many websites or youtube videos but now there are fitness classes and a large meet-up community for that. I've been a part of a few facebook groups from other hooping communities since way back then but I still haven't physically gone to any meet-ups because I've ironically been afraid of meeting people outside of GSC LOL.

- Hooping (re-iterating this one lol) - post tutorials of this one (= and host GSC/Hooping/Flow meets.

- Start a Meet-up group on meetup.com for GSC if we don't already have one. I actually had no idea this site existed til my cousin told me she goes to "geek meets" with other anime/gamers she meets online there every weekend.

I'm rusty on my coding but I'd love to get back into it or learn. I'm a quick learner. If it's anything excel/scripting I'm super savvy lol so other launguages shouldn't be too hard for me to pick up. I've used HTML/CSS/PHP/WordPress in the past--just need a refresher from a good mentor *coughZin?cough*

I always loved the random section of the boards (though I know that doesn't help with staying on topic lol)...maybe have more krafty/artsy stuff like we used to once people start posting again?

Can't think of anything else right now cause I'm a tad distracted but will post when I remember haha.

Sorry I'm all over the place lols.

• Upvote 1

At the same time, I'm still against battling and the negative stigma surrounding it. But by constantly mentioning it, we're being weighed down by our own negativity. We should move forward in a positive light and deal with each new situation as they arise. Most of us have grown up on GSC or have been influenced by it, so I'd like to think we're a bit more mature now to handle these situations like adults rather than have constant drama.

[...]

In my years, on both sides of the states, I've seen more negativity arise out of the "hate of battling" than actual battling.  I don't battle, and won't, because of the culture here and how it raised me to view sticking.  Which I'm still thankful for, but that's because I'm not a competitive person anyway, at least in a creative sense.  The negativity that came with it was nothing more than the same kind of bullying/jackassery you'd find at a high school/college then.  Just insert a topic, in this case glowstringing.

- More meet-ups!  I know azzie and aden have been trying to organize another Glow Shop on the east coast, but it shouldn't be too hard to organize something small on the west coast.   :animier:

Ideas for GSC:

- FB, IG, Twitter needs an active poster. I think expanding to music content/reviews on top of the normal glowsticking posts would help attract traffic. I can volunteer for Twitter and coordinate with Zin/whoever else would want to share content or actively post.

[...]

- Start a Meet-up group on meetup.com for GSC if we don't already have one. I actually had no idea this site existed til my cousin told me she goes to "geek meets" with other anime/gamers she meets online there every weekend.

Reading Zin and Danika's ideas; I think social media would be the perfect way to create the outside community (meetups/etc.)  

- Aside from Glowsticking, incorporate Flow art and Hooping too. Hooping has grown so much over the past few years. I remember when I was trying to learn it over 5 years ago, there weren't very many websites or youtube videos but now there are fitness classes and a large meet-up community for that. I've been a part of a few facebook groups from other hooping communities since way back then but I still haven't physically gone to any meet-ups because I've ironically been afraid of meeting people outside of GSC LOL.

- Hooping (re-iterating this one lol) - post tutorials of this one (= and host GSC/Hooping/Flow meets.

We do have a forum that addresses other styles of dance.  Just maybe some more activity.  Or even with the social media shift, re-advertise all the various topic forums we have/create new topics (hooping)... maybe not all at once.  Just a more focused topic instead of "hey GSC is here!"and send the links in various flow arts groups that we're all connected to. :)

But I wouldn't put as much focus on the progression of the art on here (being it's glowsticking dot com), but I'm all for being open and welcoming to all kinds of creatives.  I'm sure a lot of us have experiences with other art that has affected our own.

Edited by Jaimison

Just jumping in to say that I'm still here and willing to help in any way I can.

I too am of the mindset that we need to do away with all former bans and revamp the rules to be more welcoming to people who aren't of our viewpoints while still keeping it a safe and friendly environment.  GSC needs to be a hub for all things light dance related.

As for ideas...

An image gallery and video gallery back on the main forum page.  Both of them make the site look alive.

A new article system.  Perhaps one that has a sort of wiki type of system where anybody can submit an article, it just needs to be approved by a moderator before showing up, and there needs to be a very nice discussion system linked in with the article system so that it blends in seamlessly with the forum - things that get posted as comments to articles (and videos or images) need to show up where people will see them, not stay hidden away where they'll only be seen if someone happens to go to that page.

New or fixed video chat room.  Tinychat still works good, it's just broken here on the site.

if possible make it so that tinychat is how it used to be, where you could see who/if anybody was in it before even entering the chat. I feel like that prompted many more people to actually use the chat. the way that it is now seems kinda out of the way and isn't engaging at all. 

• Upvote 1

I agree with photon and think that a wiki/a style article system would be awesome, especially for the tutorial sections. As far as “performance†vids are concerned I think the current format works great.

I also agree with what danika in that if we want to increase our online presence / traffic that we should be actively posting ( I volunteer to help in that with that, I can write articles and make vid content). With that being said I think ideally, it would be beneficial to make regularly scheduled / released vids via the youtube page with 30 - 60 sec teasers released via instagram, twitter and facebook for the videos, with links to the vids and the site. The Full vids would have comments disabled with a link to gs.c / the forums for discussion. The release schedule could be something like, Monday: performance / compilation vid Tuesday: review vid (could even just be an article) Thursday/ friday: tutorial. In an absolutely ideal world I think it would be great if gs.c put out a free hand tutorial thursday a stringing tutorial friday and a hooping tutorial saturday or something like that. That being said I realize all of this would take up so much time even if you split the work between 5 dedicated mods / people. So a lot of these vids wouldn’t have crazy editing, simple straight cuts would be great and again these vids would all probably be 5 mins or less part of this is to keep in line with what IMO is the trend right now of news bites / clip vids where people don’t have the time or attention spans for 10-20 min vids anymore (this is a generalization). Similarly the articles don’t need to be the next great american novel every single week. WIth the model I have proposed it puts content creation at a premium so to speak, so for the first few weeks or until we get enough interest I think it would also be really cool if we released some of the old skool footage that people have that hasn’t made it onto the gs.c page I’M LOOKING AT YOU PHOT0N! and it’s not just him, I’m sure there are a few members with hard drives of footage that hasn’t made its way online yet.

EDIT:

got a little a head of myself there ha ha, as for the whole tiny chat thing I know some people love tiny chat and it is great again if we could get something happening regularly there like what tainted transmission used to be that would be awesome

Edited by xbadkaraokex

if possible make it so that tinychat is how it used to be, where you could see who/if anybody was in it before even entering the chat. I feel like that prompted many more people to actually use the chat. the way that it is now seems kinda out of the way and isn't engaging at all. 

This, very much so.  When the chat roster was on the main forum page we had random people popping in there all the time all day and all night.  Without it the chat became a secluded regular group of just a few people.

I dont know where you find this tiny chat that I keep hearing about..

Im working on IGs #stickingsaturdays. @messymo_sfx. So are a few other people who have some gnarly clips. especially that one guy.. xP I DO NOT HAVE A FACEBOOK. ANYMORE. NEVER AGAIN. I keep getting deleted and losing awesome photos. Is there G+ page?

I also frequent a Disqus.com I could probably get a sticking forum dedicated, with links to GSC.

IS Definitely a database of wonderful information and ideals. I think it should stay that way.

Also comfortable for anyone here to learn,*I agree with you Jamison. No one should be singled out or ridiculed because of an idea. It seems battlers are still a big area of concern.. Battlers should be approached and spoken to with caution. Battling normally comes with a high level of tension because of high concentration. I personally don't think glowstickers/glovers should compete with one another, because its not about whos better, just unique expression, who does what with a sound. Though a lot of people find it a great way to learn and expand, and meet new people.

Everyone will never agree with everyone. As we all expel and draw in different vibes.

what should be done though is find a mutual understanding and leave it at that if things start getting hostile. No reason to fight about ideas, just explain them. Take in others and move on.

ALTHOUGH i do prefer people who have beef to express themselves with energy fueled dance, or light painting, than express themselves with rage and physical altercations...

uhm... i strayed.

Hashtags, are probably the best bet.

What tags for GSC do you use most?

I use #GSC #GeeEssCee and #glowstickingdotcom

#rave and #PLUR

Those could probably help on FB as well,