Ph0toN

Diving back into glowsticking practice

16 posts in this topic

I cracked a pair of sticks last night for the first time since 2011 or 2012.  I really don't understand why I quit practicing freehanding on the norm for so long.  Perhaps its because I started listening to other genres of music that don't inspire me to dance so much.  I love those other genres, but they don't have that beat, flow and beauty of EDM that drives me to move to the music.  I love glowsticking so much.  It's such a great way for me to express myself and it's so beautiful and feels so freaking fantastic - and it's great exercise to boot.

Once I cracked the sticks last night I found that I just couldn't stop.  I practiced for hours.  I remembered why I put so many thousands of hours of practice into this art.  It's a part of who I am.  Just like painters can't help but paint, bodybuilders can't help but work out, etc, glowsticking is something that's embedded so deep in my soul that once I got going it all came back to me and I did not want to stop.  I'm a bit rusty now, and sore too from so much exercise I'm no longer used to doing regularly.  My left hand doesn't want to hit the angles I worked for years training it to do.  But that will change.  Once I shake some of the rust off I'll start posting videos again.

Just thought I would share my excitement at diving back into this wonderful art.  :)

That long!? Of course, like painting. I call it light painting. Even with these other genres : 3

There are just so many forms of art, and many many things you can do with music. So many things to learn.

That floww, feels ♡

It'd be great to see new videos from you !

Welcome back! :: D

I found my self doing the same thing the other night.

Also I guess I will be hanging around the forums again after many many years of not being on here.

Broly!  I've missed you!  Haven't seen you since a meetup in around the last half of 2010 or so.  We're going to have to get the texas meetup scene revived again, I miss hanging out with all the awesome texas glowstickers.  Glad you're back man.  :)

Might be a bit hard as I am now in New Jersey -__-

Oh dang, you're a world away now.  If things go to plan I won't be in texas that much longer myself.  I'm heading to the north away from the heat and humidity.  Hope you're enjoying the east coast.

Edited by Ph0toN
Noticed a typo

My daughter was digging through an old box of my junk a few weeks ago, and came across an old pair of my practice sticks. Its been nearly a decade since I've used them, and several years, since I'd even freehanded period. Ahhhh, I miss the feel of the glow of a fresh pair of cyalumes in my palms. I was reluctant at first, but I came around and explained to her what they were. Now she's taking a liking to them. She wants to learn "The Old Craft", haha. Ordered a fresh set of sticks, hopefully I'll be back on and around, posting videos. I miss this place. And If my daughter can find the same happiness that I did, then so be it.

I cracked a pair of sticks last night for the first time since 2011 or 2012.  I really don't understand why I quit practicing freehanding on the norm for so long.  Perhaps its because I started listening to other genres of music that don't inspire me to dance so much.  I love those other genres, but they don't have that beat, flow and beauty of EDM that drives me to move to the music.  I love glowsticking so much.  It's such a great way for me to express myself and it's so beautiful and feels so freaking fantastic - and it's great exercise to boot.

Once I cracked the sticks last night I found that I just couldn't stop.  I practiced for hours.  I remembered why I put so many thousands of hours of practice into this art.  It's a part of who I am.  Just like painters can't help but paint, bodybuilders can't help but work out, etc, glowsticking is something that's embedded so deep in my soul that once I got going it all came back to me and I did not want to stop.  I'm a bit rusty now, and sore too from so much exercise I'm no longer used to doing regularly.  My left hand doesn't want to hit the angles I worked for years training it to do.  But that will change.  Once I shake some of the rust off I'll start posting videos again.

Just thought I would share my excitement at diving back into this wonderful art.  :)

YES!  I've been stringing since 2002 and I stop every few years or so for a stretch.  And it's exactly like you said, Ph0toN, I never remember why I stopped.  I'm sure it has to do with life getting a little too intense.  But that's the lazy answer.  I picked up my sticks again around Halloween, and I think I'm at a point in my life now where I recognized it's value.  Everyone is different and not everyone's form of meditation/exercise is the same.  I've worked practice into my daily routine now (before I go to sleep and when I wake up) and now it's what balances me out.  I could go so far to say that maybe life got intense BECAUSE I wasn't practicing.

How wonderful all the stories in this site are,

Question,

HOW TO UPLOAD VIDEOS THROUGH GSC?

It really has been a very long time! I cracked some ultras a week ago and had the same feeling! I practice with my flow lights on the regular.

Who is practicing these days? I do not know anyone local. I live in Flushing, NYC. Does anyone have any idea where to get glowsticks local? We do not have a Walmart and they don't sell them at Target.

How wonderful all the stories in this site are, Question, HOW TO UPLOAD VIDEOS THROUGH GSC?

I'm pretty sure the video center is broken since the update.  Best to just upload to youtube and post a link in a thread now.

THE PROPHECY HAS BEEN FULFILLED THE CHOSEN ONE HAS RETURNED!

Where's the chosen one?  Where where?!  *Looks under the rug*  *Looks in the microwave*  *Throws a tv dinner in the microwave since it's open*  Oh there's that chosen one, hanging out in the drawer with the forks and knives and pizza cutter.  How'd you get in there chosen one?  Explain yourself!  Have you been soiling the good silver again?  Naughty naughty, chosen one!

wow photon miss you buddy its been forever i started cracking sticks recently as well good to see you back at it again