JaredHimself

thinking i might be making the switch to handles..

5 posts in this topic

i've messed around with em off and on for a few years now but may be thinking of making it a full time thing. i think it may push me to be a more creative glowsticker as a whole. has anybody else been playing with handles recently? (and if not handles, what about just trying something new in general in hope of gaining from it?)

:alien:  :alien:  :alien:

Edited by JaredHimself

When i first started I only wanted to do handles. It's a real interested concept. I forgot the guys name, but I learned a lot from his videos. Adrilff, I think it was.

When i first started I only wanted to do handles. It's a real interested concept.

I remember when I did handes for a bit.  They're fun!  Here's a guy in Hollywood still rockin em (

)

There's a trade-off, like every other (grip/tie/string/etc).  I'm hesitant to say that you have to give up certain styles like manipulations and anything else people think are impossible with handles.  But the way glowsticking has progressed, almost exponentially it seems, I'm positive someone with enough practice can come up with some pretty unique ideas.  

It's just learning the new feel.

Glowstringing with handles opens up a good deal of doors that allow for your creativity to flourish. Pretty much every normal glowstringing move can be modified into some sort of handle variation. This is especially fun to watch when you focus on normal glowstringing, since you expect to see a move done a certain way, only for your mind to be tricked by some variation. For example when I first saw toxic do a horizontal orbital, it seemed like any other move to me. Once he released the bottom glowstick and simply let the weight of the glowstick keep the orbital spinning, I was blown away. In my mind I thought "What the heck! How did he do that with one hand!?" I also think that either simply watching handles, or giving handles a shot yourself, will give you a new direction of thought that you can apply to your standard glowstringing without handles as well. 

One of my favorite parts about handles is the amount of power moves, or flashy moves that require a good deal of technical skill, you are able to pull off. For example converting a single handle to a one handed glowstringing set, therefore putting you into a quasi-three-stringing set, looks fantastic when one handed moves are tossed in. That along with the many variations of tosses you can add in really create a lot moves that both require a lot of talent yet are still able to wow every spectator from those who don't glowstring to veterans who've been at it for years. 

• Upvote 1

I have been spinning handles for like 7-9 years. I started spinning handles because after like a year and a half ago me and 2 of my good friends were all very close in skill level and our move sets were almost identical. I started spinning handles to differentiate myself from other spinners but more specifically my friends. I think handles are amazing. There exists more unexplored territory, in my opinion, with handles. One of the biggest discoveries for me was with mini wraps. Handles expand the wrap combos exponentially with color changing mini wraps. Shit is silly. So if you are thinking about handles, I say DO IT! 

btw  this is old video from a previous channel if you want to see the concept I am talking about with the color changing mini wraps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5TqVwmRDos