Sign in to follow this  
zin

San Jose-based, Sonoma Raceway Proposes Four-Day Music Festival

5 posts in this topic

Would be interesting to see how much the festival market is going to expand since it seems to be on a constant upward trend, especially in Vegas (We specially built a venue for 55,000+ for Rock In Rio).  <_<

Assuming it's ultimately approved by the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors, the festival would begin in the spring or fall of 2017 at the soonest, according to Steve Page, the raceway's president and general manager.

"It's a lengthy and expensive process," he said.

Sonoma Raceway is one of eight tracks across the country owned by North Carolina-based Speedway Motorsports. Page said the raceway filed an application for the music festival a year ago after the concept was broached by Nitro Fidelity Entertainment, a newly formed company based in Napa with plans to produce "a branded music festival" at Sonoma and four other Speedway Motorsports tracks.

"We have been approached on countless occasions by promoters who wanted to bring music to the facility," Page said. "We never took any of those seriously. This was the first time the business proposition and the philosophy were appealing to us."

The first of the raceway music festivals will be in August at the Kentucky Speedway. The lineup is expected to be announced in the next couple of weeks, Page said.

The festival would include overnight camping for 6,000 music fans. Bands would play from noon to midnight and a dance party tent would be open until 4 a.m.

"Talent is going to vary from festival to festival," Page said. "One of the things we hope to do is have a strong local presence for emerging talent and local acts from Northern California as part of the music mix. There would be a lot of opportunities for the business community -- wineries, restaurants and other vendors -- to participate."

Source: http://www.mercurynews.com/entertainment/ci_27625323/sonoma-raceway-proposes-four-day-music-festival-size?source=infinite

Ooo,Wineries. Let's be fancy huh?

So maany oppritunities.

GSC has its own Venue?

GSC has its own Venue?

Las Vegas, Dgloww.  Zin owns Las Vegas.

I agree with you, Zin.  I hope eventually these festivals turn in to genre-specific/related massives too.  Not all, but I think it could get really cool.  I mean, Insomniac is pretty much starting that, with multiple multi-day festivals.  And they're awesome excuses to travel!

Edited by Jaimison

I just realized that Sonoma Raceway is owned by the same company that owns Las Vegas Motor Speedway.  If they use the same ethos and planning that occurred when EDC moved to Las Vegas (like how LVMS & Insomniac worked with the City rather than try to run it), then I can see this working out just fine, especially considering this is gearing towards a more mainstream Coachella/Bonnaroo/Lollapalooza type of feel.

Sonoma Raceway? Really?

That's like…..less than 20 minutes away from where I live.. and I'm out in the boonies. Who's throwing this thing?