Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flashdrive

CMON Florida! (aka A Great Big Competition Drama Thread)

76 posts in this topic

My only issue is that you can't come into a community with it's own culture and then promote something they don't condone..

Which is what happened..

They are entitled to their opinions, but if they want to be part of the community here and use our resources, they should comply with the rules.I'm not trying to convert anyone. But if you want to be a part of the community here, just comply with the rules. It's that simple. That's just common courtesy in any culture. Doing otherwise just seems disrespectful and rude. No offense.

No one explained the culture, they only referred to the section.

Agreed. I hate when people throw in plur for any arguement. I do follow plur and understand all of it. Nowadays, people just say that shit as a acronym....Just because someone listens to edm or goes to a edm event (Or rave if you can find a legit one) Doesnt not mean they all go by plur....Not everyone has the same views

so then if you understand that noone has the same views why are you being so nasty. Sorry for assuming I dont follow that form... because its to easy.

No one explained the culture, they only referred to the section.

Reading the culture section would explain the culture?

If they had questions, they'd ask?

I wasn't rude when I presented the links.

why are there so many people posting continuously in this thread right now, yet rorok and i are the only people in tc?

;)

so then if you understand that noone has the same views why are you being so nasty. Sorry for assuming I dont follow that form... because its to easy.

Im not being nasty, i am trying to be nice, calm, and explain. Im trying to neutralize this situation down.

When did i say you assumed that you didnt follow a 'form'? i am lost.

I just dont see why plur should be used in an argument, when not everyone follows it.

Agreed. I hate when people throw in plur for any arguement. I do follow plur and understand all of it. Nowadays, people just say that shit as a acronym....Just because someone listens to edm or goes to a edm event (Or rave if you can find a legit one) Doesnt not mean they all go by plur....Not everyone has the same views

Actually plur is one of the corner stones in the rave culture, light art (glowstringing or freehanding or meteor or levi stick, ect) all have a plur background if you deny it then thats all you man. Doesnt mean your right. unfortunately the site is denying freedom of speech witch is my right. If you dont agree then just say hey I understand but can we plz change the topic. Instead its been a post war of arrogance and ignorance. sad to see that the most activity on this site is a battle the one thing you guys despise the most, about who's opinion is right or wrong. How about this let ppl think for themselves also if you dont gsc then just leave them, not like this is the only glowsticking/stringing website out there you can find me on you tube under strungout stringer for additional info on it. just stop the hate.

Actually plur is one of the corner stones in the rave culture, light art (glowstringing or freehanding or meteor or levi stick, ect) all have a plur background if you deny it then thats all you man. Doesnt mean your right. unfortunately the site is denying freedom of speech witch is my right. If you dont agree then just say hey I understand but can we plz change the topic. Instead its been a post war of arrogance and ignorance. sad to see that the most activity on this site is a battle the one thing you guys despise the most, about who's opinion is right or wrong. How about this let ppl think for themselves also if you dont gsc then just leave them, not like this is the only glowsticking/stringing website out there you can find me on you tube under strungout stringer for additional info on it. just stop the hate.

I think you might have missed my post and analogy.

Instead of determining whos right or wrong on a subject we should state our opinions in a more mature manner. let whoever respond and if you dont like it well whats the harm? If someone wishs to go out and have their fun how they wish who is anyone to stop them or judge them? This is a community not a place for fighting, period

I agree with ya, im not gonna deny it, but not everyone follow's it. If you compare the scene from 5 years ago even, to today, you can see the difference, sure that was then and this is now, and it evolves, but its nothing like how it used to be. But thats a topic for another time. Also where are we denying your freedom of speech? As far as i see, is you're replying just as well as i am. Not one of us as said "YOU CANNOT SAY THAT, YOU CANNOT POST AT ALL".

Also with this posting, Its a open discussion, i am adding my two cents to it, and trying to get a decent, respectful reply, instead of everyone bashing eachother.

I'm not hating at all....

Im not being nasty, i am trying to be nice, calm, and explain. Im trying to neutralize this situation down.

When did i say you assumed that you didnt follow a 'form'? i am lost.

I just dont see why plur should be used in an argument, when not everyone follows it.

I dont follow the free handing form anymore, sorry i didnt explain better. I wanna learn meteor though i think it looks cool. I just dont feel challenged with free handing :/ As for PLUR you dont have to follow it you just need to understand that by verbally assaulting members nothing good can come from it Peace love Unity so we can all Respect each other. thats all I meant.

I dont follow the free handing form anymore, sorry i didnt explain better. I wanna learn meteor though i think it looks cool. I just dont feel challenged with free handing :/ As for PLUR you dont have to follow it you just need to understand that by verbally assaulting members nothing good can come from it Peace love Unity so we can all Respect each other. thats all I meant.

Where was anyone verbally assaulted?

Thats fine. And i can understand what you're saying there. At least we're getting on a more neutral level. Hopefully this can turn into a open discussion now. Maybe in a different thread, since it seems the culture was a main topic brought up, Maybe we can get another thread started, no arguements, and figure everyones views out, and get this whole thing resolved...( I need some sleep, so crash time for me)

I didnt bother to read it, since your one of the reasons this whole thing started. I just want the hate to end. so im trying to calm the flames. Nothing against you but id rather ignore you then be mean.

Maybe you should read it. I said I'd sesh with battlers, I'm not offended by them, and I certainly don't hate them. That'd be petty. Hate is a strong word. They can do what they want, but there's a time and place for everything. Just read the post. I've been courteous enough to follow this thread until this early (though it's probably a waste of time and petty in the long run) and read everything everyone has posted, and gone back several times to see what exactly happened. I'd appreciate the same.

And maybe you should look back and see I never verbally assaulted anyone. Do you know where the problem escalated, by any chance? I just linked someone to part of the forum and asked nicely if they could read it, because they were new around here and we wanted to welcome them it. I did, at least, and I'm sure a few others, too. It would be really awesome to have a more lively florida scene. I live here, too.

and why would you be mean to me when I have not said anything that was offensive or attacked? And if it seemed that way, it's never my intention to do so. I can come off pretty bluntly, but that's just about it. I don't go out of my way to hurt or pick fights with someone. And I'm not saying that any of you do so intentionally either.

There are some people here who are passionate and get up in arms, but then there's other who do want to calmly talk it out too. Like Rorok.

If you actually spent time reading every post, you can see that.

I'm not attacking you, or anyone. And not everything is so black and white.

I'm very tired though. And I wish I could talk more to dispel those fascist images as not everyone here is like that, just as every battler is not arrogant or competes to win.

Long story short.

No hate. Just respect for one another's culture in their respective domain. i.e. GS.c ideals on GS.c, battling/competition ideals in battles/competition.

You took the words right out of my mouth in my last post in the other thread lmao.

Before posting, these are all my views. I am not gonna push anything on you, but i hope you, as well as anyone else (goes for any of the newbies in the previous thread) at least take a read at what i am typing out. At least give it a chance, maybe you can learn something, or gain some more knowledge! :)

I am all about an open discussion.

Ill throw in my ideas before i go to sleep.

At GS.c, as a whole. We try to be a huge family to one another. I cant answer for any posts by anyone else, or any other arguments before...That is on them, i try to avoid any of that.

We do have the culture section, which was blatantly stated earlier. Its a huge thing that really has brought gsc together, and sticks around. A few things have changed over the years, sure, but its there for a reason. Like remember when i was saying earlier, about how drama and bad things can happen from battling/competitions....Check out this thread and give it a read. Saving Texas

Anything can happen at any time. Sure this can happen to one person, it can happen to anyone.

Also check out this post made by Ph0ton. Are We Elitist? . This is another thread explaining some more things that we have on GS.c as well. This thread can take a lot of words out of my mouth as well. Glowsticking was most definitely a underground art, and slightly still is, but over the years, and even today, it has evolved and gotten a ton bigger.

I am all about spreading the art. I always prefer one dedicated member, over 5 people who would want to learn glowsticking, for either the wrong reasons, or do it to 'be cool' or 'showoff' and stop doing it months after....Basically, Quality > Quantity.

For the culture, we've had these views ever since GS.c has been formed since 2001. I understand we all do not have the same views as well, but for GSc as a whole, its what we were based around, and how we grew as a community. Though a lot has changed over the years, it's usually explained to the newer members joining the site, so they can learn more about GS.c as well, and get a insight of the community, since we do get quite a few members that join, that don't know as much. Also we've gotten forum trolls, of people who will join the site, and bring up the culture just to start an argument with everyone...its happened before :/

Let's put the culture of GS.c aside. There's not much we can do with others going out, doing their own thing. If that's their choice, then so be it. Though if we have members on this site, that are against gs.c, but still sign on, then why are they here exactly?

Oh also to add. I will say, my views on stringing/sticking, is to create your own style, be yourself, and show your love of the art. Find others who string, collab together, have workshops, share ideas, evolve your style, make it unique, try something new, bring unity, and that is what builds a community, and unites as as one!

No point in showing off, copying others, impressing others, trying to be better then one another, etc. etc (i lost my thought)

I have no idea what else to say at the moment since its 6:30 in the morning, but im down to continue a discussion tomorrow. Though if theres any bashing and shit, im hopping outta this one.

Maybe you should read it. I said I'd sesh with battlers, I'm not offended by them, and I certainly don't hate them. That'd be petty. Hate is a strong word. They can do what they want, but there's a time and place for everything. Just read the post. I've been courteous enough to follow this thread until this early (though it's probably a waste of time and patty in the long run) and read everything everyone has posted, and gone back several times to see what exactly happened. I'd appreciate the same.

And maybe you should look back and see I never verbally assaulted anyone. Do you know where the problem escalated, by any chance? I just linked someone to part of the forum and asked nicely if they could read it, because they were new around here and we wanted to welcome them it. I did, at least, and I'm sure a few others, too. It would be really awesome to have a more lively florida scene. I live here, too.

and why would you be mean to me when I have not said anything that was offensive or attacked? And if it seemed that way, it's never my intention to do so. I can come off pretty bluntly, but that's just about it. I don't go out of my way to hurt or pick fights with someone. And I'm not saying that any of you do so intentionally either.

There are some people here who are passionate and get up in arms, but then there's other who do want to calmly talk it out too. Like Rorok.

If you actually spent time reading every post, you can see that.

I'm not attacking you, or anyone. And not everything is so black and white.

no.

I'm very tired though. And I wish I could talk more to dispel those fascist images as not everyone here is like that, just as every battler is not arrogant or competes to win.

Long story short.

No hate. Just respect for one another's culture in their respective domain. i.e. GS.c ideals on GS.c, battling/competition ideals in battles/competition.

+1 Rorok. 100% agree.

Everytime I see someone talk like they aren't aware of the culture here (which isn't exclusively GSc culture by the way) I try to inform them about it as kindly as possible, but it definitely gets irritating explaining the same thing over and over.

I know people have been criticizing other for linking to the culture section without in depth explanation, but that is why the section is there. It's a nice little archive of plenty of reasons not to do X, Y, and Z. If every thread where battling was mentioned turned into an in depth explanation not only would there be more arguement over it (Let's face it people don't often just say, "Oh so that's why.") but topics would be getting moved to the culture section where more people get butthurt over getting linked to those topics and it's suddenly an endless cycle of butthurt. The section is there so people can direct others to it with the addendum that "If you have any questions feel free to PM me and we can discuss it."

We really aren't elitist; the rules set in place for members of this forum are the result of people who have seen the backlash of competition and people who have performed glowsticking for the sake of external validation and subsequently regretted it later.

Maybe we should be more tolerant? Perhaps, but people have to realize our position. To one individual questioning the rules here it may not make sense why we get so frustrated because from their perspective we've only had to explain it once. However, that is not that case. This site gets quite a bit of traffic and this is a common situation so sometimes instead of a full length conversation you may just get a link to the culture section of the forums because that is why the section exists and because WHY HAVENT YOU READ THAT STUFF ALREADY?

Bottom line though is that here at GSC we do not support battling. Period. Not knowing the rules isn't an excuse for breaking them. When I join a forum I make it a point to familiarize myself with the rules and follow them. Before anyone says like, "Sounds like you're telling people what to do" let me say this - we pretty much are. You're basically coming in our house and shitting on what we strongly believe in and that's straight up disrespectful. As far as I know Dave still pays for this site out of pocket (correct me if I'm wrong) and he wanted the site run a certain way. So to everyone reading this that thinks competing is okay I would like to POLITELY REQUEST that you either shut up about it while you're here using our resources to level up or take it elsewhere. From the mouth of the root admin of GSC himself, " If you disagree with any of Glowsticking.com's stance on battling, crews, inappropriate places to show off, and other such core tenets of our culture, why are you on glowsticking.com using our resources?"

If anyone is still confused about why you should follow our rules please READ THIS. Or perhaps this even more relevant topic.

Never mentioned "battles" only mentioned competition I only said what my opinion was and I feel I'm being flamed with links to the culture site just because I mentioned one event if that's what your culture is cool but I like having competition and luminex we should battle ;) I saw you live in florida let's get bloody k? Btw I've seen your videos and they are pretty badass props

I never mentioned battle

I...err...what? o_o

What's everyone's deal about linking to the culture section. I can see how someone may have felt ganged up on because really we don't need 3 people linking to the culture forums in the same thread, but at the same time I don't see any issue with linking to it without explanation seeing as the topics there are quite self explanatory.

Now for more links so people can get more butthurt over links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqmUs7NuB0g

Whats tc if I may as ask

TC = Tiny Chat

It's our chatroom where we all just chill.

So we just let crews and people who compete just freely spew their idea of how we should accept what they do because of "plur" and we should be "care bears".

Crews, competitors, battlers, and anyone who falls under that category never had a place on glowsticking.com.

Multiple Times It was Explained why we don't allow competition and crews and battles and nothing still gets done?

smh

On a good note its nice to see Lira and a few others Posting o.o....even though its not on the best of terms XD.

I can see where today is going anyway.

ban-hammer2.gif

Supporting or thinking battling for fun is "okay" isn't going to work here on this site.I had to learn that piece by piece as I spent the time reading articles and stopped battling cause half of the things that were said was actually true especially what I was going through (I admitted this before and I will say it again.) Its not so fun after awhile of being in a crew/battling listening to someone tell you "watch and learn" or put self esteems down all cause they didn't know more than the other stringer did.I use to have these friendly battles in 01' and it certainly wasn't fun since there was too much pressure,demands and instigations going on each time there was a session happening.Friendly battles for fun isn't so friendly if someones being told they don't know shit about stringing or lost after a "friendly battle".

We aren't trying to force anyone to stop what they do but atleast show some respect.If one can't cope with it,simply leave cause this isn't going to change anything.

As you've hopefully noticed, I've merged all the drama from 3 threads into this one thread so it's easier to follow, plus this is where it started. So with that out of the way...

Flashdrive, LUM1N3UX, StrungoutUnitedStringers -

As you've already seen we do not support competition on this website. You're not going to get anywhere or gain anything by trying to discuss or argue it with us. We've been through the same argument countless times, you can go read threads in the culture forum to view some of those arguments. We've got the rules on this site for a reason. You've been linked to the culture forums and articles enough times to have read about those rules if you took the time to actually look at what you were being mass linked.

All we ask is that while you are on our forums you follow our house rules. We're not coming into your house or your forum and disrespecting your house rules, so we ask that you please do us the honor of respecting ours while you're here. If you can't do that then I ask you to please leave.

We don't need to hear anymore rebuttals. The topic is closed. Please don't start it up again in another thread or further action will be taken.