Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flashdrive

CMON Florida! (aka A Great Big Competition Drama Thread)

76 posts in this topic

being flamed with links to the culture site

How is linking you to historical threads flaming? If you don't understand why we don't support battling here that's fine. You don't have to. You just have to comply. If you insist on not only breaking our rules about battling but also choose to openly sing praises of battling and competition then why are you on our website using our resources? Where's Cleric when you need him?

Glowstringing is a expression not a religious debate. just saying

Never mentioned "battles" only mentioned competition

luminex we should battle ;)

I feel I'm being flamed

I feel like I've seen this before...hmmm

History Does Like To Repeat Itself....

e61c3b07-f069-406b-93c7-e48c7532828c.jpg

*Edit* I do Remember someone doing something EXACTLY like this, because that person also failed to use ANY TYPE of punctuation except maybe once in a paragraph post.

I compeating doesn't mean battle its healthy competition its not so much the winning its the fact that stringers get a chance to show others what they got

If the reason you are stringing is to "show other people what you've got" then you're in it for the wrong reasons. People who string/freehand for attention or external validation never stay with it as long as the true geometers who do it because it's something they love to do. Competition is not necessary for collaboration. Ever. You've gotta realize the only reason for competition is to stroke your ego out of some twisted desire to be better than someone. If you wanna compete there are plenty of sports you can go play but please don't ruin my glowsticking scene with your "better than you" attitude.

I feel competitions are healthy because they push to to be better

Competition is not healthy. Look at what it's done to the professional cycling scene. If someone wants any chance at winning they pretty much have to resort to drugging themselves with EPO and undergoing blood transfusions of their own blood. Not to mention competition has no place in art; especially in a in a culture where everyone is held as equal. You can't even objectively judge art since everyone has drastically different tastes and styles. It's not as simple as "this person crossed the finish line first."

I'm the type that likes being pushed to be better but if you don't lik competing then its your choice doesn't make you better than the next or worse

What's the point? Why must you be better than someone? Isn't it enough to have fun doing what you love? You have to make someone else a loser? Lol that's pathetic... If you really loved glowsticking you would be improve simply because it's something you love to do. When's the last time you closed your eyes to sleep and had patterns and timings racing through your mind?

Edit: Formatting

I never mentioned battle I only mentioned that there way a cometition... honestly I really don't see the big deal with inviting people to a little cometition its not like I'm saying "come to this battle of glowing light and ill show you that you suck" no I want ybor to have more glowstringers and if there is gonna be an event where people can come see stringers I want them to know I understand your culture that's cool but I believe that I can let people know of a comp if there is one I feel its selfish not to invite and if you guys wanna flame me or ban me that's cool I'm just showing the spirit of what I see glowstringing to be "healthy fun that pushes each person at will to create a beautiful visual performance to their fullest potential" but that's all I gotta say about the subject

Lol, have you even read ANY of our articles about battling and competitions

Have you even read why WE as glowstickers of Glowsticking.com don't go to competitions. We can go to any club willing they don't have a glowstick rule, and string and freehand there, and show people and introduce people. We don't need people to organize these things, we go and have fun.

After multiple posts trying to explain why we do and feel the way we feel you still don't seem to get it. This REALLY isn't the place for you.

What's the difference between a battle and competition?

and why do you need to compete to thrive?

What's wrong with a normal session? A session is two people stringing or freehanding to express themselves, not to show off. And if one glowsticker wants to learn a move the other knows or needs tips, he just asks.

I don't need to battle someone to be inspired or learn. I can just ask any of the members here on GS.c and they will tell me what I need to do to learn a move or help my flow, and they'll be happy to do so without having to show off to me.

so I don't see the point in a competition.. What's the point in holding a title that says you're better than someone else? To put someone in their place?

If you want to be a part of the community, just read the rules and culture section, dude. That's all we asked :/

Like I said, we refer ALL new people to that forum, so we're not flaming you. But it also seems like you're not listening..

no I want ybor to have more glowstringers and if there is gonna be an event where people can come see stringers I want them to know I understand your culture that's cool but I believe that I can let people know of a comp if there is one I feel its selfish not to invite and if you guys wanna flame me or ban me that's cool I'm just showing the spirit of what I see glowstringing to be "healthy fun that pushes each person at will to create a beautiful visual performance to their fullest potential" but that's all I gotta say about the subject

I would be in ybor more, but its hard for me to get out. paying for parking, plus gas, etc, add's up. Eventually you'll see me out there again. If you wanna compete, or do anything else, thats you man. Im not gonna argue with you, or try changing your views. It seems like a few others have mentioned the culture section as well. GS.c has had a very long past, and its been crazy with battling, competitions, drama, etc, etc. Plus too many negative things can happen during shit like that. One drama queen can get mad cause he didnt win, etc. and so much shit can happen.

Only reason im not even gonna say anything, is due to past experiences of trying to bring it up, and people try changing the subject, without understanding, etc. etc. So i try to refuse the arguements. Maybe one day you'll see me in ybor, i dont know, but i dont support, or condone in anything that is a competition. Though Kurt, who is throwing the event, i support as a promoter, artist, etc. I just wont support anything involving a competition, so dont expect to see me out for that.

Also, my 2cents...why should people 'compete'....everyone should have their own style of spinning/flow. And not try to copy others. That is what makes spinning glowsticks/poi unique. It makes it your own, and you have your own unique style of artform.

Sure this is all my views, but i will stand and support GS.c as a whole. If it wasnt for gsc, half of the people wouldnt even be into glowsticking today, or even know what it was.

Also, have any of you been out to Pier 60 in clearwater beach, i know on saturday nights, people spin fire on the beach, some nice poiests out there.

What's the difference between a battle and competition?

and why do you need to compete to thrive?

What's wrong with a normal session? A session is two people stringing or freehanding to express themselves, not to show off. And if one glowsticker wants to learn a move the other knows or needs tips, he just asks.

I don't need to battle someone to be inspired or learn. I can just ask any of the members here on GS.c and they will tell me what I need to do to learn a move or help my flow, and they'll be happy to do so without having to show off to me.

so I don't see the point in a competition.. What's the point in holding a title that says you're better than someone else? To put someone in their place?

If you want to be a part of the community, just read the rules and culture section, dude. That's all we asked :/

Like I said, we refer ALL new people to that forum, so we're not flaming you. But it also seems like you're not listening..

Ive been on this site for over a year ive read it, I dont feel to be in the glowstringing community you need to sit here and post about how glowstringing should be veiwed. its art its an expression. you make it seem like competition is going to get ppl shot and shit. c'mon now its stringing not cancer. theres actually a new site with a more open minded and relaxed environment starting up made by strungout. you make it seem like im offending you by saying what my opinion is on the matter ( battling, competition ) If I dont have freedom to even speak my mind then why should people embrace your guidelines of what the culture is. Seems very bias and one sided.. are you a jehovah witness knocking at my door trying to convert me? lols I think your blowing this way outta proportion, and its not a argument its a opinion. I never said hey guys lets all start battleing I just simply stated that the thought of giving each other something to work for will push and help each other. you can slander andyy all you want but your not much better for attacking your own kind. noone is the best stringer, but im sure we can all have our opinion on who we think is a pro and who isnt. no offense to them, I myself am not a pro. But I will get there one day and i wanna learn from who i think is the best. you guys can attack anyone that doesnt convert to your beliefs all you want, but it just shows me your either jealous or scared.

Ive been on this site for over a year ive read it, I dont feel to be in the glowstringing community you need to sit here and post about how glowstringing should be veiwed. its art its an expression. you make it seem like competition is going to get ppl shot and shit. c'mon now its stringing not cancer. theres actually a new site with a more open minded and relaxed environment starting up made by strungout. you make it seem like im offending you by saying what my opinion is on the matter ( battling, competition ) If I dont have freedom to even speak my mind then why should people embrace your guidelines of what the culture is. Seems very bias and one sided.. are you a jehovah witness knocking at my door trying to convert me? lols I think your blowing this way outta proportion, and its not a argument its a opinion. I never said hey guys lets all start battleing I just simply stated that the thought of giving each other something to work for will push and help each other. you can slander andyy all you want but your not much better for attacking your own kind. noone is the best stringer, but im sure we can all have our opinion on who we think is a pro and who isnt. no offense to them, I myself am not a pro. But I will get there one day and i wanna learn from who i think is the best. you guys can attack anyone that doesnt convert to your beliefs all you want, but it just shows me your either jealous or scared.

LOL member over a year, 4 posts. Didn't even bother reading with the first statement being that.

Your ENTIRE argument is invalid.

Don't decide to come out from what ever hole flashdrive dug you up from just to back up his ideas. People like you come and go, and the quicker they go the better.

I have no idea who's jealous or scared of anything. But anywho man, you say "you make it seem like competition is going to get ppl shot and shit"....Shit like that can happen. A good friend of mine, had a lot of bad shit happen to him, cause some dude wanted to battle him and shit. This dude almost had his life taken. You never know how someone will react from something like this. It only takes one butthurt person, to get all butthurt, and cause drama and problems, over some stringing battle, or competition.

You basically, along with a few others said " VIEW THE CULTURE SECTION" And wasnt much said after that....More should of been said while linking and explaining the culture.

You keep mentioning the section, without explaining a damn thing, and a few others keep linking it, without explaining anything. And we get a shitstorm like this.

Also wtf does "It's fine to watch battlers. You can definitely learn from watching their techniques as with any other glowsticker.

We just don't promote the battling culture." mean....I dont remember ever seeing that. I feel like you're telling these people what they can and cannot do.

its just depressing.

realistically speaking, i guess i can see why the site has been dead lately.

take this thread for example (which EVERYONE will see since it is on the main page) has so much bitching, wishy washy "facts", people linking stuff without actually explaining, etc..

why did everyone have to turn a simple thread about member activity into a huge clusterfuck?

...doesn't exactly seem like the most welcoming place does it?

people linking stuff without actually explaining, etc..

EXACTLY. I kinda wanna agree with flash and the other guy about the links and shit. Im sure they are feeling pushed by people saying READ THIS, without explaining, like "Hey look, this is our culture, its been around for years, its something the site goes by, you should come check it out and give it a read. A lot of interesting stuff in there, that you can possibly find useful. We really arent for battling and competitions, and *insert link here* is why. There's been such a crazy past with battling in competitions as well.

And something as being nice like that, can go a long way....If anyone wants to go against that, then thats their problem...dont feed fuel to the fire. But instead educate others, instead of throwing links out....If the person doesnt want to take the advice, then it's not like we can force them to do something.

LOL member over a year, 4 posts. Didn't even bother reading with the first statement being that.

Your ENTIRE argument is invalid.

Don't decide to come out from what ever hole flashdrive dug you up from just to back up his ideas. People like you come and go, and the quicker they go the better.

This thread started with where did everyone go I think with what ive read thus far you answered your own question with your fascist ideals on what glowsticking/stringing is suppose to be. do you ever know where plur came from or is everyone here so blind that they have to maliciously assault someone else's views and then put up a post attacking Florida in general. This is not the conduct id expect from a community. Furthermore you good sir are invalid. why cant we stop this hate and focus on being more productive. you do not string for prizes or glory or fame, you string for the passion for the feeling too vent and many other reasons. everyone has a idea of why they do it. If theres no idolizing on whos the best then whys melvinorc12 the star in all vids hes in? Be honest cause he's better then most of you if not all. Stringer Elite dont hide the fact that they are proud of what they've accomplished stringing and noone else should either. Lumineux and flashdrive there is plenty of room for you guys in Stringers United where you will not be spat upon for speaking your mind. The rest of you dont like it oh well sucks to be you. Im sure youll get over it or say a bunch meaningless shit that I really dont care about. btw ive been here for over 3 yrs i dont post much but its because theres usually nothing that needs to be addressed. It seems your community is falling apart and for obvious reasons after seeing how much time you put into trying to pick apart someones post, how inviting is that? Learn PLUR before you think you know what this lifestyle is all about - freddy bones was a wise man

EXACTLY. I kinda wanna agree with flash and the other guy about the links and shit. Im sure they are feeling pushed by people saying READ THIS, without explaining, like "Hey look, this is our culture, its been around for years, its something the site goes by, you should come check it out and give it a read. A lot of interesting stuff in there, that you can possibly find useful. We really arent for battling and competitions, and *insert link here* is why. There's been such a crazy past with battling in competitions as well.

And something as being nice like that, can go a long way....If anyone wants to go against that, then thats their problem...dont feed fuel to the fire. But instead educate others, instead of throwing links out....If the person doesnt want to take the advice, then it's not like we can force them to do something.

sometimes history repeats itself but none of us are the same and im sure most of us can handle a lil friendly competition if they cant then dont par take. I live in trigger city and no one gets in fights or shot for competition or battles we praise each other on what are capable of whitch is a great feeling getting a good crowd and everyone learning. we even have paid events but we dont compete, cause its not about the money or anything like that. Some things are priceless. Im sure we can all find a way to get along without forcing ideals upon each other and putting so much time into writing hateful posts to one another. maybe we can all meet in the middle?

Well, Caps was polite and I even told them to refer to Caps post with a 'please? :)'

but that was ignored..

And then he said something about religion. And everything escalated quickly.

This thread started with where did everyone go I think with what ive read thus far you answered your own question with your fascist ideals on what glowsticking/stringing is suppose to be. do you ever know where plur came from or is everyone here so blind that they have to maliciously assault someone else's views and then put up a post attacking Florida in general. This is not the conduct id expect from a community. Furthermore you good sir are invalid. why cant we stop this hate and focus on being more productive. you do not string for prizes or glory or fame, you string for the passion for the feeling too vent and many other reasons. everyone has a idea of why they do it. If theres no idolizing on whos the best then whys melvinorc12 the star in all vids hes in? Be honest cause he's better then most of you if not all. Stringer Elite dont hide the fact that they are proud of what they've accomplished stringing and noone else should either. Lumineux and flashdrive there is plenty of room for you guys in Stringers United where you will not be spat upon for speaking your mind. The rest of you dont like it oh well sucks to be you. Im sure youll get over it or say a bunch meaningless shit that I really dont care about. btw ive been here for over 3 yrs i dont post much but its because theres usually nothing that needs to be addressed. It seems your community is falling apart and for obvious reasons after seeing how much time you put into trying to pick apart someones post, how inviting is that? Learn PLUR before you think you know what this lifestyle is all about - freddy bones was a wise man

Plur shouldnt be part of glowsticking though....I still personally think, people use plur as such a defense sometimes, even on topics that dont even involve plur...Being in the EDM scene, doesnt mean everyone has to follow plur...just my 2cents.

Also i wanna agree with you on the hate thing....+1 for that.

Since when was Melvenorc a star? Sure, he's good, and has his on style, but that is what makes him...HIM. I dont see it as being a star, i see it as him branching out, and creating his own style.

If you've been here for 3 years, why not post on that account? Assuming you're from tampa as well?

Also how does plur, glowsticking, and lifestyle all combine...i am lost on this one....Does that mean poists should follow and live by plur as well?

About damn time godwins law went into play....took only a day...

And plur? Stringers elite? Where's the unity when you want to disassociate yourself from the rest. Lol what a joke that post was.

And you been here for 3 years and haven't posted much? Watch out we got a bad ass here.

Btw it was frankie bones not freddy bones you dumb shit.

its just depressing.

realistically speaking, i guess i can see why the site has been dead lately.

take this thread for example (which EVERYONE will see since it is on the main page) has so much bitching, wishy washy "facts", people linking stuff without actually explaining, etc..

why did everyone have to turn a simple thread about member activity into a huge clusterfuck?

...doesn't exactly seem like the most welcoming place does it?

agreed man not to inviting.... what happened to the plur?

sometimes history repeats itself but none of us are the same and im sure most of us can handle a lil friendly competition if they cant then dont par take. I live in trigger city and no one gets in fights or shot for competition or battles we praise each other on what are capable of whitch is a great feeling getting a good crowd and everyone learning. we even have paid events but we dont compete, cause its not about the money or anything like that. Some things are priceless. Im sure we can all find a way to get along without forcing ideals upon each other and putting so much time into writing hateful posts to one another. maybe we can all meet in the middle?

I understand what you're saying. I just dont support competitions really. I dont see a point. And everyones place is different, when it comes to competitions/battling/etc. And im not talking glowsticking. Anything, rapping, breakdancing, band competitions, talent shows....there is one thing they all have in common, they are a competition, and they battle to get first place....Putting glowstcking aside, people get all butthurt over losing...and shit starts from there, it may not start every time, but i CAN happen, and i avoid any petty drama like that.

And yeah i agree, we all can get along, at least i am willing too. Sure, gs.c does have their ideals. Its something we try to get everyone new to read. We can always have someone read something, and they will agree or disagree...We can only do so much to get someone to understand it. But if they arent willing to comply, then whats the point, only more drama will start out of it.

And plur? Stringers elite? Where's the unity when you want to disassociate yourself from the rest. Lol what a joke that post was.

And you been here for 3 years and haven't posted much? Watch out we got a bad ass here.

sorry man spell check won again, but now ppl can see what i mean about the hate. No one has attacked anyone the way you have. you should be ashamed to call yourself a stringer. tsk tsk and yes i am a badass ty

I understand what you're saying. I just dont support competitions really. I dont see a point. And everyones place is different, when it comes to competitions/battling/etc. And im not talking glowsticking. Anything, rapping, breakdancing, band competitions, talent shows....there is one thing they all have in common, they are a competition, and they battle to get first place....Putting glowstcking aside, people get all butthurt over losing...and shit starts from there, it may not start every time, but i CAN happen, and i avoid any petty drama like that.

And yeah i agree, we all can get along, at least i am willing too. Sure, gs.c does have their ideals. Its something we try to get everyone new to read. We can always have someone read something, and they will agree or disagree...We can only do so much to get someone to understand it. But if they arent willing to comply, then whats the point, only more drama will start out of it.

agreed =)

Agreed. I hate when people throw in plur for any arguement. I do follow plur and understand all of it. Nowadays, people just say that shit as a acronym....Just because someone listens to edm or goes to a edm event (Or rave if you can find a legit one) Doesnt not mean they all go by plur....Not everyone has the same views

My only issue is that you can't come into a community with it's own culture and then promote something they don't condone..

Which is what happened..

They are entitled to their opinions, but if they want to be part of the community here and use our resources, they should comply with the rules.I'm not trying to convert anyone. But if you want to be a part of the community here, just comply with the rules. It's that simple. That's just common courtesy in any culture. Doing otherwise just seems disrespectful and rude. No offense.

If you go to a church, you don't start screaming obscenities. You just end up looking like an idiot. If it were in another area that doesn't have any religious connotation, then whatever, you're fine.

If you go to a glowsticking site that doesn't condone battling or competitions, but then outwardly promote and challenge another member, you look pretty disrespectful. If you went to a site that had no culture against that, then whatever you're fine.

I couldn't care less if you battled. I'll sesh with you. But keep the competition and battling off this site as it's not something we appreciate. They outwardly promoted a competition and challenged one another. And GS.c is not meant to be associated with that.

Instead of now, imagine it says HERE.

352xqi.jpg