Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flashdrive

CMON Florida! (aka A Great Big Competition Drama Thread)

76 posts in this topic

Okay guys and girls ill make it short and sweet we need to comunicate more I haven't seen many glowstickers lately and frankly its sad I have a group of 5 stringers all in 2 in tampa and 3 in plant city! Ybor is a good spot to get together and we should now cmon let's make an effort to bring the lights together!!!

What sucks about Florida is that we're a weirdly shaped state :/

I'm in SoFlo with a few other members, but meet-ups are difficult. We go to poi sesh instead since it's pretty similar.

But I totally support what you're doing :) Have you talked to Rorok?

Hmm, who do you have in tampa, last time i tried socializing with some, everyone was to them selves. Though there was one event that i was at where there were 10 people spinning poi that i went to talk to, some were pretty friendly.

Well the one in tampa isn't. A membr yet but ybor is haveing a glowstringing contest at the social you should check it out me and a buddy of mine are gonna be compeating check out my facebook and you can find the details on my wall

And anyone who doesn't wanna meet other stringers/stickers doesn't understand what the true meaning is about. Honestly I feel our art is inder appreciated and we need to stick together as a community to keep it alive

I know of the event, i dont support competitions.

The guy who is throwing the event is a really nice guy, but competition's aren't my thing as well. I am slammed for work this month, maybe sometime in october, we can meet up and spin in clearwater or something? ill try to get a good friend of mine out as well who is great at spinning fire. We'll see.

...glowstringing contest at the social...a buddy of mine are gonna be compeating...

Hey you must be new here. Please take some time to educate yourself on the culture of our community.

i personally, would love to meet up with everyone from florida. (all over really buut,)

im getting my liscence back here soon.

if ya'll come up with something out here, i would gladly attend.

or try to=( depending on the location, ya know?

me and a buddy of mine are gonna be competing

*sigh* what has this community gone to. A Person is going to battle and only 1 person says anything to actually help him out.

Battling is Against the rules of GsC For Many Reasons, Mostly because it does put a bad face to what stringers and freehanders years behind you have worked to make. It separates people from actually uniting to create something new, and rather creates a "I'm better then you" mentality. It shuns new people away from wanting to learn how to string and freehand because people go out there, have competitions, look like garbage, and make the people who are new to the scene feel hopeless.

Competitions breaks away the unity glowsticking.com has been about to bring people together to WORK together and create new concepts and learn new moves and be original and yourself. Not Be Better then every other stringer or freehander in the same room as you.

Has anyone here seen anddyseglowstring? If you havent you should

Hey, I noticed you're new around here.

I think quite a few of us know Andy's work, but he is a battler and I think (don't quote me on this) he has spoken badly of us.

It's fine to watch his videos and learn his techniques, but we advise you do not promote the battles and competition culture as we do not approve of it for several reasons..

You should check out this link and read up to get a better understanding of the culture and rules for the site :)

http://www.glowstick...icking-culture/

*sigh* what has this community gone to. A Person is going to battle and only 1 person says anything to actually help him out.

Everytime i've tried to explain the culture section, etc. I always get bashed for it. Or someone tries to create some arguement with me.

Battling is Against the rules of GsC For Many Reasons, Mostly because it does put a bad face to what stringers and freehanders years behind you have worked to make. It separates people from actually uniting to create something new, and rather creates a "I'm better then you" mentality. It shuns new people away from wanting to learn how to string and freehand because people go out there, have competitions, look like garbage, and make the people who are new to the scene feel hopeless.

Competitions breaks away the unity glowsticking.com has been about to bring people together to WORK together and create new concepts and learn new moves and be original and yourself. Not Be Better then every other stringer or freehander in the same room as you.

I compeating doesn't mean battle its healthy competition its not so much the winning its the fact that stringers get a chance to show others what they got I feel competitions are healthy because they push to to be better I'm the type that likes being pushed to be better but if you don't lik competing then its your choice doesn't make you better than the next or worse but if its not accepted in this community then I won't mention it again just wanted to get a group together and have fun

I compeating doesn't mean battle

If you are going to at least break the rules, might as well spell it correctly and say "Competing".

Secondly what is competing? Lets see

competing (Verb)

Strive to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others who are trying to do the same.

battle (verb)

to contend with full strength, vigor, skill, or resources

So let me get this straight, So you are competing to "Show what you can do" in order to win a "Prize", but not based off skill?

I feel competitions are healthy because they push you to be better. I'm the type that likes being pushed to be better but if you don't lik competing then its your choice doesn't make you better than the next or worse

Lol So the person who "wins" just gave the judges cookies and bribed them to win?

most of these competitions look for people to do moves that "wow" and "amaze crowds", but they take 0 insight on emotion and passion brought into this culture. People don't string for fame, fortune, most of the real stringers and freehanders are humble. We go to clubs, we have our own circles, but we praise EVERY person for what they can do. If you wanna go into a circle, do 2-3 moves, and leave, hey thats awesome, if you wanna do a minute and a half setup, thats awesome too. Judges aren't needed and prizes aren't obtained for what we do, we do it because we love it.

just wanted to get a group together and have fun

You can easily do it, im sure if you talk to enough of the florida members you can hold meetups, and go to parties and get circles formed, and string because you all enjoy doing it. Sure its nice to see what everyone can do, but again you don't need a judge for that. Just Have Fun!

Everytime i've tried to explain the culture section, etc. I always get bashed for it. Or someone tries to create some arguement with me.

lol, N> More Enforcers =P

If you can't be quoted then you probably shouldn't be saying it. secondly healthy competition promotes growth and inspiration. no offense andy is my inspiration and someone who pushes me to go farther no matter what the outcome everyone has an opinion. and i respect flashdrives. high five flashdrive! ^_^

If you can't be quoted then you probably shouldn't be saying it. secondly healthy competition promotes growth and inspiration. no offense andy is my inspiration and someone who pushes me to go farther no matter what the outcome everyone has an opinion. and i respect flashdrives. high five flashdrive! ^_^

Like, I'm not saying you can't look up to him, he can be your whatever. I know Andy was part of an international battling league or something.

But we don't promote battling or competition for several reasons. So, it's fine to watch him, but please refrain from battling or competition when it comes to GS.c.

It sounds like you also have not read the culture section.

You know what also promotes growth and inspiration? Just seshing by itself. No point in being better than the other.

I don't have to battle or compete with someone to learn and be inspired.

I sent Flashdrive to the culture section because he mentioned battling in another thread and had not yet acknowledged it.

Well I'd like to say, welcome to the site!

But I also do suggest checking out some of these articles and videos, to get a better understanding of why we feel the way we do about competition and battling.

Crews, Highschool, Performances, Future

Practical Reasons for Following GSC Cultural Rules

Saving Texas

Like, I'm not saying you can't look up to him, he can be your whatever. I know Andy was part of an international battling league or something.

But we don't promote battling or competition for several reasons. So, it's fine to watch him, but please refrain from battling or competition when it comes to GS.c.

You know what also promotes growth and inspiration? Just seshing by itself. No point in being better than the other.

I sent Flashdrive to the culture section because he mentioned battling in another thread and had not yet acknowledged it.

And this was said thread I was referring to.

http://www.glowsticking.com/forums/topic/32136-cmon-florida/page__pid__399793#entry399793

It's fine to watch battlers. You can definitely learn from watching their techniques as with any other glowsticker.

We just don't promote the battling culture.

Take a few minutes and refer to the links in Caps' post, please? :)

Glowstringing is a expression not a religious debate. just saying

Religion can also be an expression.

And all I really think you should do is maybe read through the articles. Just, like I said, so you can understand why we think the way we do. We aren't trying to start an argument, but we do have our cultural views that we stick by. The articles I posted sum those up very well, and are a very interesting read.

Just saying, you should read the culture section to get a better idea of the rules of the site?

I don't know where you even got religion from..

We direct all people to the culture section when they first join the site.

And like Caps said, not starting an argument here. I was just suggesting politely to read the articles that he linked..

Never mentioned "battles" only mentioned competition I only said what my opinion was and I feel I'm being flamed with links to the culture site just because I mentioned one event if that's what your culture is cool but I like having competition and luminex we should battle ;) I saw you live in florida let's get bloody k? Btw I've seen your videos and they are pretty badass props

I only said what my opinion was and I feel I'm being flamed with links to the culture site

Welp this is what we believe, if you like it, stay, if you don't, peace. Don't want people ruining the image of the site because you feel you are a bad ass to go out and compete for some gratification in your life. Sad Really..

And If you feel like you are being Flamed, maybe you should get to know the history behind who we are and why we feel the way we feel.

if that's what your culture is cool but I like having competition and luminex we should battle

O so you still wanna battle after we helped guide you to understand how we feel, we really don't need you here.