Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zin

日本語を話しますか。

71 posts in this topic

I basically wanted to practice my Japanese since it's basically my minor (UNLV has no Japanese language major), but there's no Japanese forum and I wasn't going to post it in the Sandbox where I'd get ridiculous replies and post whoring.

So, with that said, who wants to help zin speak/write Japanese?

日本語を話しますか?

日本語はかなり難しいな言語ですけど、一生懸命勉強したらよく話せるよね。

どんな事を勉強したいんですか? :biggrin2:

Japanese is a difficult language, but if you study really hard you will be able to learn it.

What kind of stuff do you want to learn? :biggrin2:

Also, learning it efficiently depends a lot on your goals and motivation. when i first started my goals were set pretty high. more specifically, i wanted to be able to read the front page of newspaper without a dictionary and 4 years of hardcore practice later i did :light:

それから目的はなんでしょうか? With that said, what is your goal?

This is my fourth year into Japanese, but first at a college level.

I'm really struggling with kanji.

ahh the notorious kanji. it's not necessary to learn them tho if all you want to do is speak/understand...that's why i asked about your goals.

the language process is different for everyone. most (and by that i mean about 95% of the people i've come across) have the most trouble with kanji. i'm weird and for some reason kanji come naturally to me. my problem was always with grammar. do you understand basic grammar?

the whole sentence ending with a verb thing took me about a year to fully master. the next important set of things to learn after that i'd say are the 形容詞 (adjectives) :dope

To be honest, I have no problem learning and understanding when it comes to basic oral japanese, but I'd like to learn more to be more fluent.

I have a hard time retaining the kanji characters (this past semester we learned quite a chunk, but I only remember the ones that were recurring throughout the class.).

Originally I was going to make this a sandbox type thread where I ask a question and then someone responds with an answer and then another question, but it wouldn't get that many responses.

Japanese isn't hard to learn. o-O

Frankly it's extremely easy, it just takes a bit of axle grease and dedication in terms of remembering.

^---wtf are you talking about?? maybe remembering the days of the week, numbers, and colors is "easy", but learning complex scientific, political, and economic terms is EXTREMELY difficult. i'd be willing to bet $10k that you couldn't last 2 sentences in an in-depth nihongo conversation regarding any of those 3 topics :rollwink: i'm very good when it comes to languages, but achieving a high level in japanese took a massive portion of my life to master.

anyway let's see your skills son, i'd like to see you demonstrate the language you consider "easy" :rolleyes2:

僕 は 日本人だけど アメリカに ずっと 住んでた人だけど、 読み,書き も できます。

I was born in Japan but moved to states when I was four and my parents made me go to Japanese school on saturdays and during the summer went to school in Japan.

Honestly when I look at those text books teaching Japanese its really formal and not many will always talk like this like as its the same for when Japanese learn english from the text books they use in Japan.

but learning complex scientific, political, and economic terms is EXTREMELY difficult.

That's the same with all languages. o-O

Plus, you're also misunderstanding what I mean.

Basics are easy(to learn), easier than most languages, IMO. It's the remembering of it that's harder because japanese is a "loose language" in that there's considerably more leeway in how you can structure the sentence compared to say english.

The fact of the matter is, I wasn't asking if it's hard or easy.

I've lived in Japan for 6 of my younger years and have been studying Japanese language since sophomore year of high school (about 4 years including college), so I know the difficulty if there was.

I was simply asking for help on continuing my education, because I'm pretty sure classes and books won't get very far.

I haven't been studying japanese for that long, but from experience, any environment where you experience the language first hand and get a chance to hear it and process it helps. Saying that textbooks and classes won't help is saying a bit much, methinks. Although I agree to some extent, taking a class or self-studying is a good way to get a handle on the basics of any language.

Still, the best way to learn is to insert yourself in a place where only the language is spoken. It's education by immersion. (I think I spelled that wrong but it's early..so eh. (^_^).

Then again, it depends on the individual.

Guest Queen of Spades

I took Japanese on Saturdays for two and half years.

Then Kanji pwned me. >.<

I'll take it back up eventually. I still remember most of the hirigana and katakana and really really REALLY basic stuff, which is good enough for me ^^

...for now.

That's the same with all languages. o-O

actually it's not. understanding and grasping difficult concepts is a matter of intelligence, but simply LEARNING the words depends on the DEGREE to which the language is difficult. i speak 5 languages and have studied 10 more in-depth, so i can tell you from experience that Japanese is an extremely difficult language.

from your posts in this thread (especially about the leniency of sentence structure :eek: are you insane?!) i can easily tell you are not fluent in nihongo. if you were you would have a lot more respect for the uniqueness and obscure difficulty learning japanese entails. i come across know-it-all's on a daily basis who think they know everything about japanese and japanese culture, but then they cannot even carry on a simple conversation regarding intercultural sociology or politics. humility and superior intellectual capabilities are essential characteristics a gaijin must have to become proficient in the japanese language.

if you ever met anyone who became fluent in japanese passed the age of 15, they would all tell you how incredibly difficult it was in comparison to any other language. to say otherwise is an insult to those of us with a high enough intellect and motivation to embark on such an endeavor as becoming fluent and literate in japanese, a language the renowned linguists of the world categorize as one of the hardest on the planet to learn. so please save your narrow-minded stereotypes for other romance languages such as spanish and italian. if you ever got your act together enough to become fluent in japanese one day, you would find yourself agreeing with every word i have said thus far :rollwink:

i come across know-it-all's on a daily basis who think they know everything about japanese and japanese culture, but then they cannot even carry on a simple conversation regarding intercultural sociology or politics. humility and superior intellectual capabilities are essential characteristics a gaijin must have to become proficient in the japanese language.

So true, even I'll admit that I know jack squat when it comes to trying to carry on simple conversation, but know when these "know-it-alls" are just trying too hard.

Without even me saying it, you've stated my goals that I'm trying at my very best to achieve.

...i can easily tell you are not fluent in nihongo. if you were you would have a lot more respect for the uniqueness and obscure difficulty learning japanese entails....but then they cannot even carry on a simple conversation regarding intercultural sociology or politics...so please save your narrow-minded stereotypes for other romance languages such as spanish and italian....

First off...woo hoo. I've turned into flame bait. :sick:

I most certainly am NOT fluent in Nihongo. I wish my stupid university had more than level one classes. (Yet they still offer it as a minor, requiring at least 2 years of it).

They cant carry on a simple conversation regarding intercultural sociology or politics...a lot of people I've met can't even do that in their native english, let alone japanese or any other language for that matter, so I find that to be a poor comparison. Although I understand the point you're trying to make.

narrow-minded stereotypes? lol

I've taken 7 years of spanish and used to be fluent in it. Through years of disuse, I'm not longer fluent. :sm_sigh: I started at age 11 and took it till I was 18. I recently took Nihongo at age 19 and was happy I did. If I make a comparison of what I know from the two languages (level one), I would say that I found Spanish to the HARDER of the two to learn(level one).

I remember how I struggled in Spanish I and if I compare it to the difficulty I had in Japanese, it's no comparison. Spanish was 10 times harder for me to learn the basics of than Japanese.

just wondering based off of the last comment.... dont flame me for not knowing.

i heard that japanese and spanish are somewhat simuliar... is that true?

just wondering based off of the last comment.... dont flame me for not knowing.

i heard that japanese and spanish are somewhat simuliar... is that true?

you probably heard that from someone because the vowels in the two languages have similar pronunciations. however, they are gramatically at opposite ends of the linguistic spectrum...so no they are not similar at all

zin: thanks for backin me up. you seem like you have a legit enthusiasm to learn nihongo. that is the most important thing to have when trying to become fluent :dope

easy_target: what i wrote before was not a flame personally catered to you. i've made similar comments to a lot of people i come across who give inaccurate depictions of the japanese language or culture. so, thanks for clarifying yourself and not being too offended.

when it comes to gauging language difficulty a lot of it is personal opinion and taste. i would not disagree with you that spanish basics are more difficult than japanese basics. however, once you get up to the intermediate level you will notice the divide get much greater... the simple proof is in the amount of non-native speakers of spanish there are in the world versus the amount of non-native speakers of japanese :rollwink:

So as it turns out, I went into my Japanese class and it turns out I forgot a crapload. If you don't keep up on your studies, you'll end up falling behind!

I'm doing better at kanji though, but for fun, how does everyone study kanji? Flashcards? Memorizing?

Also, does anyone know the Hogen "dialect"? I'm interested in studying that.

Though I didn't really continue on with Japanese in college, I remember most of the Kanji was/is very similar to Chinese. Some of them are a bit simplified, some of them have different meanings.

Though I didn't really get that far, it's SUPPOSED to be a picture of something. Usually there's a radical that relates to the word. The rest of it ... well in Chinese, it's the sound. So, in some cases, the left side would be a radical and help represent the meaning, the right side would be how you pronounce it. Or at least it'd be very similar in sound.

I'm not sure how it works in Japanese though too well, with relating sound and meaning with the character itself. Does anyone know if the relation with sound/meaning is similar for Japanese as it is Chinese? Usually I had already learned the character in Chinese, so I just needed to recognize how to say it in Japanese. Then again, I really didn't go so far with it.

easy_target: what i wrote before was not a flame personally catered to you. i've made similar comments to a lot of people i come across who give inaccurate depictions of the japanese language or culture. so, thanks for clarifying yourself and not being too offended.

the simple proof is in the amount of non-native speakers of spanish there are in the world versus the amount of non-native speakers of japanese :rollwink:

I'm usually flame-biat, so I rarely get offended when someone misunderstands what I mean.

That's true...but then again, Japan didnt go colonial style like the Spanish did during the 2nd millenium. For the most part the Japanese were isolationists, except for a few brief periods.

I may be going to Okinawa in a few months and staying for 2 years with my husband :inlove:

I haven't had any formal classes.Ive just been reading here and there.

I was just wondering what would be the best things to learn,

I have some of the basic greetings memorized.As well as the number 1-10.

But I am wondering about the deeper things.I am an interactive learner. And tend to catch on rather quickly- so I am hoping it will be the same in Oki.So I am not that worried about the basics.

Any help will be appreciated :)

I'll start speaking to you in japanese then!

That's true...but then again, Japan didnt go colonial style like the Spanish did during the 2nd millenium. For the most part the Japanese were isolationists, except for a few brief periods.

you continue to further prove my point :rollwink: why would you then even consider making a statement so egregious as japanese being an "easy" language??

greenkittie: i assume then that your husband is in the american army? okinawa is rife with american military personnel, so knowing japanese isn't as necessary to get by there as it is in parts of mainland japan :light: i was fortunate enough to go to okinawa once, and it was a truly gorgeous place... a very tropical atmosphere, so dont forget to pack lots of bathing suits! :biggrin2:

one other note about okinawa. if you value life make sure you go out of your way to eat a vegetable known as the "Goya". it is a vegetable native to the Ryukyu's (okinawan island chain) that looks like a spiky-cactus cucumber. it is extremely bitter, but goes great with ramen! the native Okinawan people have the longest life expectancy of any culture on the planet, and they attribute it to their consumption of the Goya plant :dope so send some to me when you find it at the local marketplace! :biggrin2: i haven't had the pleasure of eating it in years...

you continue to further prove my point :rollwink: why would you then even consider making a statement so egregious as japanese being an "easy" language??

greenkittie: i assume then that your husband is in the american army? okinawa is rife with american military personnel, so knowing japanese isn't as necessary to get by there as it is in parts of mainland japan :light: i was fortunate enough to go to okinawa once, and it was a truly gorgeous place... a very tropical atmosphere, so dont forget to pack lots of bathing suits! :biggrin2:

one other note about okinawa. if you value life make sure you go out of your way to eat a vegetable known as the "Goya". it is a vegetable native to the Ryukyu's (okinawan island chain) that looks like a spiky-cactus cucumber. it is extremely bitter, but goes great with ramen! the native Okinawan people have the longest life expectancy of any culture on the planet, and they attribute it to their consumption of the Goya plant :dope so send some to me when you find it at the local marketplace! :biggrin2: i haven't had the pleasure of eating it in years...

Marine :P but yes he belongs to the military. But once they are done with him he's all mine :)

I don't plan on just staying in Okinawa though. And we are looking into living off base *crosses fingers* learning Japanese is something i've been wanting to do, I had the opportunity once but then moved before i was able to switch foreign languages :/ So now i am presented with the opportunity to learn it.SO i am trying to take advantage of it this time around.

spiky cactus cucumber..And extremely bitter. Is there any other vegetable/fruit that you could compare the taste too?

P.S i would be happy to send u some. Or trade it for lessons :P