Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CraneHaven

Confused on type of glowstick to use for glow stringing

9 posts in this topic

original 6 inch chems is the only way i will ever go. ledz are alright but aren't worth the money when you break them within a week like i do (i've been through 4 pairs of flowlights). i also find the glow from a chem stick to be more inviting and appealing.

If you break them in a week then...WoW???!!

Yeah Ledz aren't for padawan.. i would say practice with 6in dead glows. Personally i string with only ledz, i wrap drastically hard and fast, no glitches no wear or tear no damage no harm. Plus performance wise Ultras don't even come close in Comparison to Ledz ^_^

is it better to use LED or chemical?

also, if LED, what should the length be, and where to get them from? or what brand?

you can even make your own ledz if you want theres an inova tut floating around here those are alright, soniks are prety good if you have the money same with flow lights although if ur just starting out use dead 6 inch chems, you dont need the light to practice all the time and 6 in chems are as cheap as it gets for practice sticks

For now, all you should need is a pack of glowsticks. Don't crack a new pair every time you practice, just only if you need the inspiration sometimes. I've had a a pair of dead sticks on strings for about a month. LEDs might be something you want to get later down the road, but I prefer to use chemical. It's all about personal preference. Also, from what I've found, LEDs actually cost more for me, but I may just be buying batteries in the wrong places.

I've found Leds other than Soniks tend to break rather easily (regardless of brand, I've tried several) if you are just starting and hit them on anything too often (like yourself or you hit them together). The Soniks are fricking awesome, but the only downside with Soniks is that you would have to buy batteries ($4 for 2 at Walmart or Meijer's) and may still end up breaking them rather quickly if you're not careful (and trying to be too cautious may mess up your flow).

I'd suggest buying a couple packs of Coleman glowsticks (you should be able to find them in the camping section of any superstore, like Walmart or Meijer's). They're widely available, and seem more like premiums than regulars (glow brighter, longer). They come in a pack of 2 individually wrapped glowsticks for $2. (Remember to look in the LED modding forum to check out tips on warming up and freezing glowsticks to make them brighter and to pause then restart their glow.) After those sticks are spent just use the dead sticks. If you have trouble seeing the dead sticks, you can wrap them in black or colored tape so they stand out a little more.

Although once you get a little more comfortable glowstringing/start going out places and spinning, AND you can drop money on tons of batteries (because you won't be able to resist the urge to buy more so you can use your Soniks all of the time), I DEFINITELY recommend buying some Soniks. They're amazingly durable if you don't just beat the ever living hell out of them, and if you drop around $35 on batteries you get a really nice price break that makes it way more cost effective to use Soniks rather than chemsticks or any other led stick.

Its been forever since I've been on here just wanted to say hi an me I like chem 6inch better then anything cheap bright an all around easy I say no hassle no shipping chargeslol