Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zeffary

What is the most crowd pleasing move in glowstringing?

18 posts in this topic

What is the most crowd pleasing move in glowstringing? I glowstring at my school, and im practicing for the end of the year dance, and i wanted to do a move that would amaze everyone. Any ideas?

What is the most crowd pleasing move in glowstringing? I glowstring at my school, and im practicing for the end of the year dance, and i wanted to do a move that would amaze everyone. Any ideas?

Zeffary, it seems like you really don't know what we're about here at GSC.

We came together in this community to help each other learn and understand.

We want to spread the culture, but you have to go about it a certain way.

In most cases, high school students will not have the maturity to see what you are doing and think, wow, that guy is dancing with light and performing an art.

All they'll think is "OMGWTF GLOWY THINGS! I WANT TO LEARN THIS!!"

All they will care about is the fact that you're swinging lights around.

Either that or they'll think you're some kid hopped up on pills and such substances.

We at GSC don't want that associated with us.

People need to know that there are people that party sober.

There are people who go to events just to enjoy the music and good company of others.

We're trying to break the drug stereotype.

Keep your sticks in your pockets and your strings wrapped up for another time.

Session at home, or with friends who know why you do this.

If you don't have anyone in the areas who know about the culture, reach out to members that are close to you.

Attend a meetup.

Go to an event with fellow GSC members.

But please, don't string at school.

Please refer to the culture topics below for more information.

Our Beliefs <--- Read this.

Why we follow GSC Culture Rules.

Glowsticking in school.

If you have any questions, please send me or a staff member a PM.

We want you to learn and understand.

Probably everyone would agree that the orbital is the move that is the most crowd pleasing, especially to non glowstickers.

At some point this question always arises. "Should I try more to impress non-glowstickers, other glowstickers, or myself?" and that is left to you to decide.

Regardless, I think orbitals are awesome no matter who you are!

Zeffary, are you new?

Your account says you joined in 2010, but the forum page listed you as our newest added member. Plus, a question like this is what new people ask :P

Zeffary, it seems like you really don't know what we're about here at GSC.

We came together in this community to help each other learn and understand.

We want to spread the culture, but you have to go about it a certain way.

In most cases, high school students will not have the maturity to see what you are doing and think, wow, that guy is dancing with light and performing an art.

All they'll think is "OMGWTF GLOWY THINGS! I WANT TO LEARN THIS!!"

All they will care about is the fact that you're swinging lights around.

Either that or they'll think you're some kid hopped up on pills and such substances.

We at GSC don't want that associated with us.

People need to know that there are people that party sober.

There are people who go to events just to enjoy the music and good company of others.

We're trying to break the drug stereotype.

If you don't have anyone in the areas who know about the culture, reach out to members that are close to you.

Attend a meetup.

Please refer to the culture topics below for more information.

Our Beliefs <--- Read this.

Why we follow GSC Culture Rules.

Glowsticking in school.

If you have any questions, please send me or a staff member a PM.

We want you to learn and understand.

This.

Just all of this.

to answer your question though you will find that whenever you do an orbital, people will be like "holyshitbbq"

You will quickly learn that no matter what you believe your "greatest move" is, they will never get the full grasp of it. They don't know the technicality of ANYTHING you're doing. You're making it look easy, so they think it's easy.

Bottom line though, if you want to show off in front of people, go to san antonio/austin or go to a club

Whoa whoa..not a good idear

no no, good idea. Due to the battle and competition scene, it will get that " show off" mentality out of his head.

SPAM BUTTERFLIES AND SHIT, THEY WILL AUTOMATICALLY MAKE YOU THE COOLEST KID EVER

OF ALL TIME

EVER

[quote name='LordHappyPantsXIII' timestamp='1336068914' post='397780'

Attend a meetup.

I totally agree with you lhp..but i must say i string everywhere bud..alwayz keep'm hangin out the back pocket, and pull them out whenever, whereever

I totally agree with you lhp..but i must say i string everywhere bud..alwayz keep'm hangin out the back pocket, and pull them out whenever, whereever

I feel the same way.

I always have a set of sticks in my pocket or on my person.

But I always think about where I am before pulling them out, be it to freehand or string.

You never know if people are going to be running madly in your direction or something.

I tend to avoid heavily populated areas for this reason.

SPAM BUTTERFLIES AND SHIT, THEY WILL AUTOMATICALLY MAKE YOU THE COOLEST KID EVER

OF ALL TIME

EVER

Lira... This is my favorite post.

Ever.

On GSC. EVER.

But in all honesty, it's really not about showing off in front of others. To me the most pleasing move would be one that has taken a long time to master (for me, this would be ANY string manip. I can't do them to save my life) and I have to agree with not stringing at school. I learned the hard way that it can cause problems (this was before I was a member of gsc) and eventually people just start seeing you as this junkie.

But above all, I recommend you hang around here for a little bit. Check out the culture forum, and introduce yourself. ;)

Zeffary, are you new?

Your account says you joined in 2010, but the forum page listed you as our newest added member. Plus, a question like this is what new people ask :P

Im not really new to glowstringing... ive been doin it off and on for a year or two. i havent really been active on GSC though. And yes, i know this is a totally newb question.

thanks everyone for their comments, i'm taking your advice, and i'm gonna stop glowstringing at school. i didnt realize what GSC culture was about.

Zeffary,

thank you for taking the time to read and learn more about the glow community and our ideology (which coincides closely with PLURR itself)

Trust me, from personal experience, stringing in schools just ends up being a bad idea. Even if you're not intending to hurt or abuse the art, someone will see you doing it and will see it as a way to get attention and Won't care about the art. Teachers usually see it as a weapon (nunchaku or an old-skool sling) before they even make the connection to "rave culture" which is practically just as bad to them (if you spin glowsticks you obviously must be doing drugs)

If there was ever a safe place at a school that it could be accepted, it would actually be the dance classes,

but good luck convincing the dance instructor that it's a true dance form. I'm not saying it's impossible, but highly unlikely (plus you'd still have the first issue i mentioned above about a peer abusing the art, so best bet is to just NOT do it at school)

but now that we've gotten this all out of the way,

-------------------------

seriously guys, lol, what have you noticed seems to always make the crowd flip out?

And i don't mean what impresses other stringers, I mean what move makes the average viewer go "oh wow"

I've noticed it varies from region to region as well as from year to year

(hell in DFW butterfly fountains, full body crossers and btb pendulum fountains are HUGE!)

but if i had to make a top 5 list it would probably look like this:

5)straightjackets

Something about seeing a guy give himself the most ridiculous hug possible and then flail

seems to be a big crowd pleaser. I remember when it was first blowing up in popularity,

but it still manages to get viewers to go, "huh? that doesn't make sense"

4)pins

Whether it be a mouth pin, an elbow pin, or a knee pin; pins seem to hit that perfect blend of

difficulty and entertainment; and luckily the viewer usually understands that immediately.

honestly pins are only beat out because of something special involving the next on the list

3)bowties

Who would've known an old ass manip like this would end up becoming one of the fundamentals in manipulations?

palm spins still manage to get viewers and performers alike to go "WTF?" and if palm spins don't work, then a bushido manip

out of bowties will.

2)flowers

You have got to be kidding me... flowers? yes flowers, usually antispin flowers

make the audience shit their britches, god forbid you slip in a polyrythym or triquerta, and they'll have to call the hospital cuz "this guy is sick!"

and lastly...

1)orbitals

You all knew this would be here!! Orbitals are like the gateway drug of stringing; first you're doing orbitals every so often and you get a quick thrill out of it. But soon you're doing orbitals all the time, and then you're moving on to harder more risky manipulations xD

I'm curious and would love to see what some of yall's lists look like hahahaaa!! =P

DO THE ONE WHERE YOU HIT YOURSELF IN THE BALLS. PEOPLE WILL THINK YOU'RE HARDCORE AND BITCHES WILL COME IN THE THOUSANDS.

Zeffary,

thank you for taking the time to read and learn more about the glow community and our ideology (which coincides closely with PLURR itself)

Trust me, from personal experience, stringing in schools just ends up being a bad idea. Even if you're not intending to hurt or abuse the art, someone will see you doing it and will see it as a way to get attention and Won't care about the art. Teachers usually see it as a weapon (nunchaku or an old-skool sling) before they even make the connection to "rave culture" which is practically just as bad to them (if you spin glowsticks you obviously must be doing drugs)

If there was ever a safe place at a school that it could be accepted, it would actually be the dance classes,

but good luck convincing the dance instructor that it's a true dance form. I'm not saying it's impossible, but highly unlikely (plus you'd still have the first issue i mentioned above about a peer abusing the art, so best bet is to just NOT do it at school)

but now that we've gotten this all out of the way,

seriously guys, lol, what have you noticed seems to always make the crowd flip out?

And i don't mean what impresses other stringers, I mean what move makes the average viewer go "oh wow"

I've noticed it varies from region to region as well as from year to year

(hell in DFW butterfly fountains, full body crossers and btb pendulum fountains are HUGE!)

but if i had to make a top 5 list it would probably look like this:

5)straightjackets

Something about seeing a guy give himself the most ridiculous hug possible and then flail

seems to be a big crowd pleaser. I remember when it was first blowing up in popularity,

but it still manages to get viewers to go, "huh? that doesn't make sense"

4)pins

Whether it be a mouth pin, an elbow pin, or a knee pin; pins seem to hit that perfect blend of

difficulty and entertainment; and luckily the viewer usually understands that immediately.

honestly pins are only beat out because of something special involving the next on the list

3)bowties

Who would've known an old ass manip like this would end up becoming one of the fundamentals in manipulations?

palm spins still manage to get viewers and performers alike to go "WTF?" and if palm spins don't work, then a bushido manip

out of bowties will.

2)flowers

You have got to be kidding me... flowers? yes flowers, usually antispin flowers

make the audience shit their britches, god forbid you slip in a polyrythym or triquerta, and they'll have to call the hospital cuz "this guy is sick!"

and lastly...

1)orbitals

You all knew this would be here!! Orbitals are like the gateway drug of stringing; first you're doing orbitals every so often and you get a quick thrill out of it. But soon you're doing orbitals all the time, and then you're moving on to harder more risky manipulations xD

I'm curious and would love to see what some of yall's lists look like hahahaaa!! =P

which is why i call orbitals whorbitals (whore-bitals)

and ill do mine in chronological order

orbitals

1 hand supermans, especially the ground variation

tosses

utl combos

btb wallplane combos