Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Discotrack

I'm a glowsticker, but have never been to a rave (and I'm not sure I really want to)

10 posts in this topic

I know a lot of ravers here, nothing about it makes me want to go to raves. A lot of the ones here seem to be full of druggies, girls doing obscene things just for attention, and other such kinds of idiots. I understand that you could always just "avoid" those people, but no matter what it seems to me like they are around. My girlfriend normally goes to raves once or twice a week, and is trying to make me go to one. I'm just wondering if it's *that* weird not to have gone to any (and not want to go to any) and still glowstick.

To those who think I should go; why? I understand that it's parties, but considering how many sillies there are, I somewhat do not want to.

After 3-4 years of glowsticking, I've been to only one party which could be described as a rave and no, I do not see anything weird in that.

As for if you should go to a rave, I think it'd be a good idea if you go to a few. The reason is as follows: you have never been to one but you do have an idea of what is going on in there. I don't know where you gathered these ideas, but obviously, not at a rave. I think that you are best able to get to know what a rave is like if you visited a few (a few, not one, because one test subject is generally not a good base of research ;) )

Cheers

^ good advice. I was also a glowsticker before I ever went to a rave; I haven't been to one in 3 years, either, and I don't think I'm missing out. I've still glowsticked at club events that weren't raves, but the rave scene wasn't ever quite my niche. Glowsticking really doesn't have to go hand in hand with the rave scene, which doesn't exist the way it used to anyway, but you may as well attend one just to form your own opinion from your own observations.

Yay! So I'm not just a weirdo. Thanks guys :)

I'll probably go to one sooner or later, but not really expecting to ever become a "raver" per se. At least not in the Seattle scene.

Went to one- exactly what I expected. Saw quite a few new types of drugs, people who clearly did quite a few of those drugs, and saw people doing those drugs. Good music though, had fun being the ONLY stringer there. Some people came up and did poi stuff but eh, they were mostly so-so :P

I'm working on my decade mark of glowsticking, and I've been a proud glowsticker all 10 years, and I've only been to 5 raves, and my most active year was going to two in one year. My count goes as follows-

EDC 2005

EDC 2008

SOTU Las Vegas, one time.

Night of the Pharos- SLC- Deir asked me to help his fire group out so I got in free and got to spin fire with some friends for Infected Mushroom.

Get Freaky- in conjunction with a Utah meet up that happened earlier that night.

4/5 of the times I've gone to a rave has been to meet up and hang out with other gs.c members. The one time that I went to SOTU in Vegas and there weren't my friends there that I knew, I liked the music, I knew the 'headline' DJ, but I didn't like the rave itself. Going to parties and stuff like that with other gs.c members or your friends is what make a party fun to me, but by no stretch of the imagination do you have to go out clubbing and raving every week to be considered an active glowsticker.

thats awesome,

ive never been to one either.

want to. but im a little nervous about my first one cause' the culture shock might stunn me.

just imagining being present thinkin' about what it would be like to be there,

thrills me.

ann i have NO clue.

:D

I've never actually been to a rave, or perhaps one at the most, even though I go clubbing quite often and I've gone to a few events as well. However, I believe the most important part about glowsticking is enjoying what you do and expressing what you feel through the dance, not just going to parties or the such. I know a few people that still do it, and don't particularly fancy EDM as much as the average glowsticker.

As for raving, I believe that it's somewhat of a biased concept that of drugs, "weird" people, and dubious actions. Yes, they were born within an underground scene, and most of the real raves do possess a somewhat illegal connotation, but it wouldn't be correct to judge without having had the experience of going to one in the first place. Most of the EDM subcultures and their foundations were born and developed within that background. Knowing about the culture behind club dances, for example, would also help you progress within the dance itself, and the roots and origins of the dance conform a large part of the dance itself, so both the dance and culture should progress together as a whole.

What's a "raver"? What's a "glowsticker"? Why so labeling? Just fucking do what you want. Every scene has it's fair share of drug sub culture and people potentially messing up said scene. Name one music scene/scene in general, bam. Personally, I don't think you should go just because of all the "sillies" you could run into, so we should just spare you that experience, right?

On the other hand, these moments are what we use to grow and change, which you could use, so you prolly should go.

Or not...

What's a "raver"? What's a "glowsticker"? Why so labeling? Just fucking do what you want. Every scene has it's fair share of drug sub culture and people potentially messing up said scene. Name one music scene/scene in general, bam. Personally, I don't think you should go just because of all the "sillies" you could run into, so we should just spare you that experience, right?

On the other hand, these moments are what we use to grow and change, which you could use, so you prolly should go.

Or not...

I got into glowsticking well before I ever attended any parties or festivals. glowsticking =/= raves, keep on sticking and do it for your own pleasure :)