Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overslept

Sonik LEDz are BACK!

49 posts in this topic

That's right, the famous Sonik sticks have returned from the grave.

In case you haven't heard, Pat's been secretly selling them (until now) through personal orders, requested via Facebook.

The old, faulty models that people were breaking have been replaced by MUCH nicer sticks that are wrap-resistant, weighted perfectly, and bright as hell.

So where do I start?

Patrick currently has 4 models available for purchase at the moment:

• 3bulb superflux-$20
  • 4bulb superflux-$25
  • 3w-$40
  • 4w-$50 (toggle switches will not fit)

Toggle switches are available for an extra $10, which are seen on Albert LEDz and can be turned on by wrapping.

All sticks use 1 A23-sized battery. Energizers work best and have the least chance of glitching your stick. The place where we all get our brand-name Energizer A23s can be found

here.

Let's review some of the terminology here:

3w = You've seen these before. The classic, 3-bulb model with the diodes either facing >>> or >><.

LbgDz.jpg

My 2.5w pair. (Pink and UV Purple are only available in 0.5w bulbs, not 1w.) Green, Pink, and Red going >>>. I went for a Watermelon effect here.

4w = 4 bulbs. Any color combos. Each bulb acts as a resistor, prolonging battery life at the cost of a bit of brightness. NOT FOR BEGINNERS (They are delicate! People seem to forget that these are electrical devices, after all) Great for blending colors!

Superflux = Special economy bulbs that are much dimmer in comparison to the regular 1w bulbs that Patrick uses in his regular sticks. The advantage to these (besides price) is their insane battery life. A single pair of batteries have been reported to last a whole week of nightly usage. Any color available! The brightness on these babies is comparable to freshly-cracked industrial sticks.

StFts.jpg

My Superflux pair. Solid Yellow and Aqua (Blue bulbs in a stained case)

Battery style = Battery holder on the top of the stick, or the bottom. The bottom makes the stick feel much heavier, and enables the hook to be illuminated when the stick is lit. Top battery holders make the stick feel faster and lighter, even though on paper they are the same weight. Personally, I'm a fan of the battery holder being on top.

Casings = Hexagonal, Military, or Omniglow. I'm not an expert on these; you'll have to ask Patrick. But basically, these are your options for your stick's housing..

If you have any questions, feel free to talk to Patrick directly. He was very helpful when it came to ordering my first LEDz, and he's a bro on top of that. He offers free repairs on all of his sticks [as long as no parts (bulbs, wiring, etc.) have to be replaced] and even offered to ship me out a brand new pair of LEDz if I wasn't satisfied with the 2.5w pair I received. He's just a regular guy, after all. And as such, he has a life too. Your mileage may vary when it comes to ordering LEDz.

IF YOU WISH TO BE INVITED TO THE FACEBOOK GROUP WHERE YOU CAN PLACE YOUR ORDER, PLEASE PM ME HERE WITH YOUR FACEBOOK PROFILE.

what about those that dont use FB?

i contacted him via YT and email a little under two weeks ago ordering two pairs and he said he'll be working on them, but i figure he's swamped with orders atm, and am perfectly fine with patiently waiting lol

the order i placed consisted of:

3w in omniglow casing

one stick: yellow-green-blue

and the other: white-green yellow

then second pair was:

3w in omniglow casing

one stick: yellow-white-blue

and the other: green-white-blue

if i could get the toggle switch at the top on all four id most definitely want those

me, drop over $100 on Leds? you goddamn right!!

I can message him on Facebook for you :) (that goes for anyone else here who doesn't have a FB either!)

EDIT: Sorry, but you can only get the toggle switches on hexagonal cases. They also have to be bottom battery if you want the switches.. is that okay? The switch will still be on top.

yeah thats fine, thats what i was planning on actually hahaa

if casing has to change thats fine, hexagon casings are actually pretty rare nowadays lol

yeah thats fine, thats what i was planning on actually hahaa

if casing has to change thats fine, hexagon casings are actually pretty rare nowadays lol

Yes, hexagonal cases are the same kind found in the heavy-duty industrial glowsticks you can find in Lowes.

Omniglows are durable, but are economy casings usually find on superflux sticks.

pretty much any color possible at this point.

fancy/rare colors are usually .5 watt

i know superflux usually offer just as many, but as overslept mentioned,

they're dimmer but that also means they wont heat up as much and longer battery life

if the 1W = ultras

the superflux = cyalume 8hr.

ill have to get some. what colors does he have?

Once upon a time, certain color combos weren't available. But Patrick has been educating himself in engineering and circuitry and continues to today. Now any color combos are available both in superflux, 3w, and now even 4w. thumbsup.gif

The colors he usually stocks up on are Yellow, Green, Blue, White, Red, UV purple, Pink, and now Aqua. All colors are available in 1W and superflux bulbs, except for I think Aqua. I know aqua superflux bulbs exist, but as for 1w I don't know..

Some colors can be achieved using regular bulbs in stained cases, though. Like how blue in a yellow stained case makes aqua, and white in red cases makes pink.

The order of brightness is subjective, but green is definitely the brightest and UV/Pink are the dimmest (obviously, being .5w)

Superflux bulbs are all about the same brightness, making for some nice blends... since brighter bulbs usually overpower the weaker ones.

ill have to get some. what colors does he have?

holler at him on fb. The link is kinda hidden in the original post. There are all kinds of pictures of different combinations on there.

Hmm, tempting. Ill wait til i have some money. And for the prices, are they per pair, or per stick?

Also whats the difference between the 3w and 4w? Is there a huge brightness difference?

Any idea how long the bulb life is?

Hmm, tempting. Ill wait til i have some money. And for the prices, are they per pair, or per stick?

Also whats the difference between the 3w and 4w? Is there a huge brightness difference?

Any idea how long the bulb life is?

I haven't seen the 4w in person but I imagine they are noticably brighter with one extra bulb.

I was suprised on how long the battery life was. In a good way.

they are brighter than any glowstick for first 10 -15 minutes and then as bright as ultras/revs for several hours and then slowly dim out

this is how mine are, different generations/versions of the ledz might be different.

Yeah, battery life to me isnt a big deal, i can supply myself with that. Im more worried about bulb life.

I have had them for over 6 months and the bulbs are fine. I am however having him fix mine right now. It's not because of the bulbs though, it's the wiring that came undone from the solder point. I pretty sure he fixes them for free just pay for shipping. I could do it mysel,f but I don't know how the hell he gets the whole setup inside the stick.

Prices are per pair. In the original post, I said that the 4w pair are actually dimmer than the 3w, according to Patrick.

A tiny bit of brightness for extra battery life and more elbow room for color combos. An event trade-off, I'd say.

So technically the brightest pair possible would be a 3W Green-Green-Green.

I'm buying a pair soon, but one question.....How do you change the batteries?

I'm buying a pair soon, but one question.....How do you change the batteries?

http://youtu.be/ESqQP6dAbNw

It's a bit primitive, but it does the job well and will keep your batteries safe and secure inside the holder.

Or, you could buy a toggle switch stick.. no more fussing with taking batteries in/out!

If you PM me with your Facebook, I can invite you to the group if you aren't in it already.

Is he still selling LEDz? I just stumbled across this topic. I still thought they were discontinued. I don't use facebook, but I can give you my email and we can discuss a sale that way.

Is he still selling LEDz? I just stumbled across this topic. I still thought they were discontinued. I don't use facebook, but I can give you my email and we can discuss a sale that way.

He is in full swing, and will be for the unforeseeable future. I can play the messenger for you two, like Sparrow.. but it's definitely more convenient if you can make a Facebook

BTW Sparrow, if you're reading this, your order is still in place. It wasn't forgotten about, it's just that the waiting list is extremely congested now and especially what with SXSW going on in Austin (Pat works at a lounge)

but it's definitely more convenient if you can make a Facebook

I actually quit facebook 3 months ago. I'd really prefer not to make another one. Maybe you can give me patrick's email or something and we can talk like that. If not I'd really appreciate it if you could pass my order along. I'm not ordering just yet, but I just got hired at a pretty sweet job so I should have the money relatively soon.

I actually quit facebook 3 months ago. I'd really prefer not to make another one. Maybe you can give me patrick's email or something and we can talk like that. If not I'd really appreciate it if you could pass my order along. I'm not ordering just yet, but I just got hired at a pretty sweet job so I should have the money relatively soon.

Yeah, I can make a post for you. Just PM me your order when you're ready.