Sign in to follow this  
Xyphox

What Happened To This Place?

42 posts in this topic

Man cynicdave hasn't even posted in over half a year? Are there even meetups or ultracircles anymore? Man I miss the heyday of this place like 5-7 years ago. I miss hanging out with dave, the brothers chu, and paul at anime expo. I miss bugging the crap out of dave by calling everybody I saw at anime expo gay. He'd get so mad lol. Oh man.... I wonder if anything like that will ever happen again.

I thought glowsticking would get more popular because the massives are so much bigger than they used to be. Guess not...

• Upvote 1

Being fairly new to the site, I wouldn't know but..

Maybe we just need to get people to post again? I mean some of us still try to organize meetups and such. We aren't ALL dead.

The people you mentioned are pretty much busy with life. A lot of other people also have jobs and school.

It's not that they are all gone, they just get busy.

It's pretty awesome during the summer, and REALLY awesome when it gets closer to EDC and other music festivals.

Everybody had school and jobs, including me. We just all made time. This place used to be big all year round. I know everybody isn't dead. It's just not like it used to be. I'm not saying everything sucks now. I just miss the old times, and the guys I used to hang out with.

Yo rusty, I'm still here.

THIRD WORLD GIRLS GONE WILD.

Man cynicdave hasn't even posted in over half a year? Are there even meetups or ultracircles anymore? Man I miss the heyday of this place like 5-7 years ago. I miss hanging out with dave, the brothers chu, and paul at anime expo. I miss bugging the crap out of dave by calling everybody I saw at anime expo gay. He'd get so mad lol. Oh man.... I wonder if anything like that will ever happen again.

I thought glowsticking would get more popular because the massives are so much bigger than they used to be. Guess not...

Im a kid at heart so, we NEED moar kids playing in the sandbox!! Banning yourself can only last soo long..:(

The first generation of people have gotten married, have real jobs, or have burnt out so they/we don't have much time to dedicate to gs.c.

The other big problem is that people aren't bringing in other people and using gs.c as a way to keep in touch with people in their own areas. Think about the time that you're talking about, there were about 3-4 areas that kept gs.c going. So-Cal, Chicago, New York, and possibly Texas by who you ask. The people in those areas publicized, invited, and brought people that they knew into gs.c. No one is really doing that any more, so we no longer get a lot of activity. And a lot of us that remember those days don't go out and try to do it any more because we have real lives and can't afford to go out clubbing and go to raves to try to find new friends to bring into the circle.

We're still here. We still love the glowy swirly stuffs. We just can't drop 40 hours a week into it any more.

well what i've noticed is

1. noone seems to ever upload vids anymore. (though i shouldn't be talking.. i haven't uploaded one in over a year)

2. there aren't any new intriguing topics for the community to engage in and discuss.

the site still gets a lot of traffic from what i've seen, just nothing new is ever posted except for things in the sandbox and events page.

tinychat is where most of the action happens nowadays..

Edited by JaredHimself

also with the creation of various glowsticking groups on facebook, lots of people just communicate and share vids through that. though i tend not to support/follow these groups as most of them support battling.

Everyone I know seems to have gotten either disheartened, frickin' busy, or sidetracked. There was a two-year period where GSC was the focal point of my social life, it seems. But though GSCers are still some of the most important people in my life, life got nuts & free time got short. We've got non-GSC coworkers, significant others, friends & family-- and so much less free time! The friendships that stayed strong are ones we maintain outside of GSC, but here, everyone's just...gone.

The old guard is jaded & busy. The newbies (I still count myself as a newb, pretty much, I came in the last big wave) either lost their loyalty (looking at you sellouts, you know very damn well who you are) or lost interest, and although the electronic music scene is exploding, it's full of superficially interested people who are part of it just because it's the popular thing to do.

• Upvote 1

I understand people get busy and all that. I just always figured there would be a new wave a young guns to replace the old guys.

Good to see Adrillf is still around.

Edited by Xyphox

That's pretty much the problem. The new group of young ones didn't really come. Most of the people I know on GSC joined before me or joined at roughly the same time as me (which is almost 3 years ago). Most people who joined after that mostly dropped away or are in constant lurk mode. On top of that, like JaredHimself said, a bunch of fb groups were created which basically have a "don't ask don't tell" policy about cultural stuff. Those groups also have a high "post a vid to show how awesome you are and then get on with your own life again" level. In other words, there doesn't really appear to be a sense of community amongst the facebook groups (correct me if I'm wrong on that last one).

Cheers

If you show me a real sense of community among those FB groups, I'll show you an incredibly skeptical trance vocalist.

If you show me a real sense of community among those FB groups, I'll show you an incredibly skeptical trance vocalist.

community is non existent on there .__.

Anyways, my theory is that when we all started we were young and in high school. Well we grew up and showed all of our friends (who were our age groups) what it was, they get on gsc, gsc booms, everybody happy. THEN college and its all "gtfo life" happens so like in nor/so-cal brian and thems still be stringing it up with everyone and showing it to their friends who are ( still in their age group ) and have equal amounts of lives (non existent via school ). Then you have all the vets on here, WITH lives, only their lives are full of responsibility and jobsssssss (ewww) so they don't have as much time to get on anymore (i assume or else they would).

I'm not saying the stringing scene is dead, thats retarded, its booming IMO. BUT they are booming because of areas Texas and the battle-bretheren. They show off and the kids in high school are like "I WANNA SHOW OFF TOO" so they all learn stringing for the wrong reasons and you get left with this HUGE group of people who string but are close minded and full of themselves. (oh and they also look the same when they string, its real boring to watch.).

-------------> also would like to add -----IMO----- they don't progress stringing outside of their "lockouts" and straight jacket wraps so it all looks the same when they say "i've come up with something new hurrrrrr". and their string manipulations, oh shit, i mean "mind-games", are the most simplistic shit and are comprised only of catching and releasing. No intricate ways of doing them, just do them really really really fast.

off my tangent.

my point is that the gscers have gotten older and are in school where they still teach the right way to look at stringing, just in their own age groups of older people.

The younger people are more exposed to the battling scene, making them battlers when they grow up.... =/

Edit: also they call you biter if you do anything that remotely looks like something they think they come up with

"oh sorry bro I didn't know you were the master wizard who came up with the link catch"

Edited by Xetmath
  • Upvote 2

community is non existent on there .__.

Anyways, my theory is that when we all started we were young and in high school. Well we grew up and showed all of our friends (who were our age groups) what it was, they get on gsc, gsc booms, everybody happy. THEN college and its all "gtfo life" happens so like in nor/so-cal brian and thems still be stringing it up with everyone and showing it to their friends who are ( still in their age group ) and have equal amounts of lives (non existent via school ). Then you have all the vets on here, WITH lives, only their lives are full of responsibility and jobsssssss (ewww) so they don't have as much time to get on anymore (i assume or else they would).

I'm not saying the stringing scene is dead, thats retarded, its booming IMO. BUT they are booming because of areas Texas and the battle-bretheren. They show off and the kids in high school are like "I WANNA SHOW OFF TOO" so they all learn stringing for the wrong reasons and you get left with this HUGE group of people who string but are close minded and full of themselves. (oh and they also look the same when they string, its real boring to watch.).

-------------> also would like to add -----IMO----- they don't progress stringing outside of their "lockouts" and straight jacket wraps so it all looks the same when they say "i've come up with something new hurrrrrr". and their string manipulations, oh shit, i mean "mind-games", are the most simplistic shit and are comprised only of catching and releasing. No intricate ways of doing them, just do them really really really fast.

off my tangent.

my point is that the gscers have gotten older and are in school where they still teach the right way to look at stringing, just in their own age groups of older people.

The younger people are more exposed to the battling scene, making them battlers when they grow up.... =/

Edit: also they call you biter if you do anything that remotely looks like something they think they come up with

"oh sorry bro I didn't know you were the master wizard who came up with the link catch"

that was awesome,

the whole biter thing is as lame as lame gets.

I'm glad there's not a style that is associated with the Midwest or Chicago more specifically. Or maybe there is...I haven't seen another glowsticker(beside a couple a friends; a couple of times) in person in over 4 years. If there is, they don't post videos that's for surrrrrrr. People talk like that up her too.

I'm old & brittle as someone pointed out earlier today, but I check in a couple times a day. I don't post much anymore, mainly because there isn't anything to comment on....viscious cycle.

There is a very small group (10-12 people) that I would consider ACTIVE.

badkaraoke is on top of that list. He's on right now.....go look. I'll wait.

TOLD YOU

Edited by bukklee

LMAO xetmath you're my hero!!

battling and having a competitive drive amongst your peers will end in two-faced petty fights and a whole bunch of shitty attitudes. why does it have to be a battle? why cant people just wait their turn and everyone gets a chance to really perform instead of being forced to compete? Without dividing yourselves apart from everyone else by making crews and cliques, I thought the point of the rave culture was everyone dropping the titles we hold in society and coming 'together as one'? these are your friends & loved ones, why have this impulse for dominance over each other instead of equality? who says PLURR is dead? why does it Have to be dead?

if these are your friends and loved ones, and you truly love the art, you should have no qualms about giving everything you know about the art back to the community. I myself realize that I lose a bit of my style by making tutorials, but I think that's awesome, I'm letting my style become the norm for the beginners in the community. I'm sure Melvenorc could say he's humbled in the same way, with the way he sparked the yo-yo/whip/shotgun manip revolution we had going on for a while (still have going on) Why would you feel hurt when people pick up something that took you years to create? You've just helped the art advance that much further. you should feel flattered when someone's incorporated something you've crafted. Isn't it just better to feel inspired and humbled than threatened?

bukklee, i actually would say there is a midwest/chicago style. look at wes, wil, jstudd, KO, c-money and yourself

maybe its just me, but i see it lol

but yes there are still a good handful of us on here, alot of us just have a ton of things going on, so it's hard getting people to get active again, let alone stay active.

I blame FB because it's so much easier to check into than here, although I refuse to have a FB (cant trust the system maaaaaaaan)

Hence I don't put alot of my stuff on YT and its download only links on here like in the good ole days, my way of forcing people to get on the site again =P

(god im so drunk on wine, but i feel so fancy lol)

Edited by suzume
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I met Wes and.. Myron I think it was a while back. Actually, Wes came to socal a few times. I miss good old westicles.

I'm old & brittle as someone pointed out earlier today, but I check in a couple times a day. I don't post much anymore, mainly because there isn't anything to comment on....viscious cycle.

There is a very small group (10-12 people) that I would consider ACTIVE.

badkaraoke is on top of that list. He's on right now.....go look. I'll wait.

TOLD YOU

I didn't mean it bukklee..your spirit is that of a new born. :D

your the spark that ignited me on manips(besides brandons outta this world crazy hands)

Go Xetmath!! I was once shown these so called "mind games", looked easier then checkers to me, and i was only a beginner. Just seems like they put no heart&sol i what there doing in these foolish "games"

Sezume=100% truth.

Why all this hate, in our lovely rave culture nowadays?

Edited by kemicalU4ia