Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deefekt

[Video] random freestyle

14 posts in this topic

I know that your might be a lurker, with a year gap from joining to posting (if you are, you'll understand what I'm about to do, and not get offended from it), but you still run into this category-

http://www.glowstick...tch-your-video/

honestly i cant understand why someone would start out their first conversation with someone like that. I joined glowsticking.com a long time ago because my friend enlow had a few videos up on here and i thought i would try and put some up and get into the community. i love spinning because its fun and i like to meet people that have the same interests and the same passion as me. you shouldn't comment on my video because you dont have anything of value to say to me. im glad you have made my first experience at glowsticking.com a memorable one. instead of taking the time to get to know someone you assume to know me and accuse me of doing something as pathetic as "lurking".

honestly i cant understand why someone would start out their first conversation with someone like that. I joined glowsticking.com a long time ago because my friend enlow had a few videos up on here and i thought i would try and put some up and get into the community. i love spinning because its fun and i like to meet people that have the same interests and the same passion as me. you shouldn't comment on my video because you dont have anything of value to say to me. im glad you have made my first experience at glowsticking.com a memorable one. instead of taking the time to get to know someone you assume to know me and accuse me of doing something as pathetic as "lurking".

Someone's gotten too butthurt over something so trivial...

It_s_Cool_I_m_Just_A_Panda.jpg

dude if you read the article adrillf is saying get to know us first because we arent just a review service, say hi make a few other posts before asking us to review your stuff. Imagine you and some friends are stringing and some strager walks up to you and your group and stats bustin out combos and what not then ant the end says " what did you think of that" to me that comes off as being a show off, but if you come up and introduce yourslef first say hi its a diffrent matter.

to me that would be cool because i actually enjoy the company of others that can teach me something. this is a little ridiculousness sorry i posted in your guys forum i hope you guys have an amazing time spinning.

maybe you guys should try to calm down its just spinning were all in it for the fun sorry someones a little butthurt about others enjoying themselves

to me that would be cool because i actually enjoy the company of others that can teach me something. this is a little ridiculousness sorry i posted in your guys forum i hope you guys have an amazing time spinning.

maybe you guys should try to calm down its just spinning were all in it for the fun sorry someones a little butthurt about others enjoying themselves

If this is how you try and get someone to watch your video I would be surprised if anyone gave you feedback.

haters-gonna-hate.jpg

honestly i cant understand why someone would start out their first conversation with someone like that.

I start it out like that because that link that I posted was everything that I wanted to say to you, in a nice form, without having to re-write it every time someone comes onto the site and makes an introduction like yours. If you read it, you'll realize that it's a little rude to those of us who are here to just run on, and in your first post not introduce yourself, not say hi, or not do much of anything else besides throw a video at us and ask for us to comment on it.

i love spinning because its fun and i like to meet people that have the same interests and the same passion as me.

Yay! So do we. That's actually what we would like to do with you, get to know you, talk with you, and share in the same passion that you have. That was the entire point of my thread, thank you for agreeing with me.

you shouldn't comment on my video because you dont have anything of value to say to me.

I'm going to toot my own horn there for a few sentences right now. Of all of the possible people on this website that you could say that I have nothing to say about a video, I think you picked the wrong person to say that to. I write video reviews, and I make good reviews. I most likely have something to say, and it's most likely more in depth than any review you're going to get off of youtube or some random person, but I'm not going to waste my time on a person that won't even take the time to say hello.

instead of taking the time to get to know someone you assume to know me and accuse me of doing something as pathetic as "lurking".

I have no problem with lurkers, and I've even spent my fair time lurking. The problem I have is the exact same thing that you have accused me of. You haven't taken the time to get to know us, and you're assuming that I was being malicious and rude by asking you to say hello and get to know us.

to me that would be cool because i actually enjoy the company of others that can teach me something.

Yet again, we enjoy the company of people that want to learn something and contribute to the website.

maybe you guys should try to calm down its just spinning were all in it for the fun
I know, and it's fun to get to know people and talk with them. Instead of just waving hello and dropping a video in our laps telling us to review it.

So in review:

Welcome to gs.c.

Say hello.

Introduce yourself.

Become part of gs.c.

Make some friends.

I got bored and had some time on my hands because I didn't want to put in job applications, so I decided to break my rule about reviewing videos just for you.

A quick link to patch you in on what I might be talking about on some of my comments http://www.glowsticking.com/forums/topic/1661-video-reviews/

And now onto the fun.

Okay, just looking at the description on the youtube page, I'm going to run into problems. Uploaded from an android phone means a few things to me- no editing, low quality footage, and low quality photography. I might be referring back to an older aesthetic of videos, but I prefer my videos edited with good music and the best quality footage that you can find. Take the extra 3 minutes to run it through windows movie maker, and dub over your camera's audio with the audio of the track you want. This way you'll get better quality audio that isn't so fuzzy, and it makes your entire video a bit better. It only takes a few minutes and it makes quite the difference. Also with a few edits you can make even the worst session that you've ever had look at least somewhat proficient.

:24- up to this point in time, one of the things that I've noticed is that the moves that you're trying to do and the length of your arms vs. the length of your strings, don't match up. You're trying to do extensions and fun little poi moves, but you can tell that the strings are a bit too long for making the moves work how they were meant to be seen.

:31- I've never been a fan of floor/ceiling plane moves because they seem limited, at best.

1:00- Watch out for repetitive moves. It's starting to get to the point by this point that I'm hurting to see where your style is. You're able to make some of the basic moves of poi and some tech poi moves, but I'm lacking where your style and your flavor of it all comes in. That's what makes spinning interesting, when people put their own flare on things. Right now, it's what everyone else thinks you should do, and nothing of what you are.

1:32- ewww orbitals. Orbitals are the poor man's way of ruining any flow or pattern that you had going, and the ten second long orbital that you threw into this ruined anything that you had working up to this point. If you're going to use an orbital and you think that it's a good idea, just make sure that you can get smoothly out of it. It needs to be a smooth transition in and out of it, or else it's just a speed bump in whatever you're doing.

1:49- I'm a fan of air wraps, and love them a lot, but just like orbitals, you need to work on putting them into a combo and make it look smooth that you're using them. Right now, it looks as though you're spinning and then you decide in your head, 'now would be a good time for an airwrap' and then threw two of them in.

1:58- You're trying to go with synchronized spinning here, not split time, so to make that work as well as possible you have to really look at this video and see where you can make them stay even closer together. With something as simple as trying to keep them both spinning at the same rate, even the smallest variation in speed between the two can make all the difference.

Despite what the arguments might say and the difference of opinion with each person that you talk to, I say that poi and glowsticking have very different styles. Out of the entire video, the only time that I understood this video as a glowsticking style of video was around 2:30 where we start to see wrap combinations and something different than technical poi. I wish I could comment on tech poi and all of the poi-esque moves that you use throughout the video, but I've focused a lot on glowsticking style and wrap combinations and a wrap heavy style, so I'm limited on what I can say about the tech stuff.

The biggest points that I think could help out are to watch your plane control, mix up your height and location of your spinning, and put more of yourself in there. Plane control and that topic has a lot of resources out there on it, but if you can't find anything feel free to ask here and I'll link you towards some sites that might make sense about it all. Your spinning height is a simple one, re-watch this video a few times and then notice where your spinning is for the majority of your video, it's by your hips. The majority of things that you're doing is down low. Occasionally you'll spin up high, and try to move around the focus of the strings, but for the most part, we're staring at your hips. No offense to you, but I don't want to keep staring at your pants. Finally, putting you in your spinning. You have stuff going on, you're obviously not completely new to this whole thing, but you're missing from this. Move your body, make your own combos, be creative, make it so that even if you were in a pitch dark room I could look at just the glowsticks and go, 'obviously that's deefekt, or at least someone who was inspired from him.' You've watched the tutorials, you've done the stuff that can be taught, and now you've entered into the art part of this art. No longer can people just hand you a tutorial and help you become better. There are no tutorials in learning how to be yourself, and not just a reproduction of what someone else taught you.

This is why people don't post to videos like yours.

People expect a thank you, a response, or anything else for reviewing a video. We're a week away from giving you a review, and nothing.

This is why I won't review people that post a video in their first post. They get a review, and then run away. Thank you for proving my point.

People expect a thank you, a response, or anything else for reviewing a video. We're a week away from giving you a review, and nothing.

This is why I won't review people that post a video in their first post. They get a review, and then run away. Thank you for proving my point.

ten points to gsc

I was always horrible in English class. Anyone who read all that is now wiser than before.

I've been saying this alot lately. "I love this place."

lol...I had to go back and correct some irrelevant grammatical errors.

the last person you wanna say, "you don't have anything to say to." -----> Adrillf

you hit the nail on the head

@deefekt, see ya in another year i guess <_<