Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Discotrack

Showing stringing to non-stringers?

7 posts in this topic

Usually, whenever I show stringing to anyone who doesn't glowstick, they just tell me to do "that spinny thing" (orbitals) after I do it once. I know, whorbitals blah blah blah. But even when I don't I hear stupid things such as "bro, u suck, why don't you go faster?" or "dude how come u have them so short it looks stupid lol"

Am I the only one who gets annoyed at this every single time anyone wants to see you string? Or do you guys just not bother showing people?

I used to get annoyed. I ignore those kids now. I refuse to string if someone asks me to, in my eyes, im not someones entertainment.

If I'm glowsticking, it's for my entertainment.

I've actually had comments to me from good friends who say that stringing is better than freehanding.

I show them a video of Merlin, Ph0toN, MadRaverRai, etc.

Or I teach them about freehanding and some of its concepts, leading them through it.

Their opinions change immediately.

Freehanding and Glowstringing are two different forms of our art.

What I've helped them to realize is that you don't judge art because of a person's ability or skill.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that you're doing it for your enjoyment, not theirs.

If they have a problem with the way you practice the art, then they can get their own glowsticks and realize the difficulty of the things we do.

When people just stand and watch quietly, I don't mind.

They can watch all they want.

As long as they realize it's my form of expression for the music.

If they whine and complain, oh well.

It's their fault that they can't be satisfied.

I basically don't show random people who ask me some glowstringing moves. I'm not some monkey in a zoo who performs tricks at the audience's bidding. I only glowstring for people that I know/trust to be of a certain (mental) maturity. All the others might get to see a youtube vid if they are lucky.

Cheers

I basically don't show random people who ask me some glowstringing moves. I'm not some monkey in a zoo who performs tricks at the audience's bidding. I only glowstring for people that I know/trust to be of a certain (mental) maturity. All the others might get to see a youtube vid if they are lucky.

Cheers

Though to some people this may be indicative of our "elitist viewpoint" but this is the way I have always thought of exposing people to any alternative lifestyle practice. Since we are the "giver" in these scenarios its to our discretion who we give to. I have confidence in all staff members and their judgement of character. We are performers but that doesn't make us an on command "attraction".

It's mostly just friends- if they ask I'll show them, if they don't ask, I have nothing against practicing around them (usually with duds)

But, when they ask, and then act stupid when I do show them, I usually don't end up showing them again...

Appreciate the answers- and all I have left to say is that I usually only show people I actually know.

Friends occasionally ask me to string for them.. but it's rare. Most of the time, I'm stringing already, and people just watch. I'm pretty antisocial, and I kinda emit a vibe like that, so people don't really talk to me much when I'm stringing.

If they ask me to do something, I usually do it. But only once. And it's only if I can work it into something without ruining the flow. Normally my friend asks me to do flowers, and he only does this cause he knows I can't do them. Haha.